Is it just me or is there something strange going on at GayteWorld?

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I have noticed something's changed at GayteWorld since the season premiere of SGU.

Comments that would've been blocked just a week are coming through (like ones by OM1 and US0), some threads criticizing SGU are being allowed to continue and even threads that were completely erased right before Intervention have popped back up. Gayteworld even mentioned the disastrous ratings - albeit dismissing the numbers with the usual excuses, but nonetheless!

Am I the only one to notice this?

If this is true, I've been trying to figure out what the causes could be. Two scenarios seem the most likely to me:
- The traffic on GW has dropped so dramatically that they can no longer afford to piss off their members or continue to allow only pro-SGU squeedrones to post censorship-free. It could be that GW - like SGU - is needing those SG1 & SGA fans after all if it is to keep its revenue coming in. I don't have the numbers for GW, but if the SGU forum on syfy.com is any indicator, GW is hurting bad.
- Or SGU has already been cancelled (internal memo) and GW sees no reason to push for the show and to protect the soon-to-be-gone SGU rabid fans at the expense of the more loyal SG1 and SGA fans. They are starting to plan for the future without SGU.

Any thoughts?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I have noticed something's changed at GayteWorld since the season premiere of SGU.

Comments that would've been blocked just a week are coming through (like ones by OM1 and US0), some threads criticizing SGU are being allowed to continue and even threads that were completely erased right before Intervention have popped back up. Gayteworld even mentioned the disastrous ratings - albeit dismissing the numbers with the usual excuses, but nonetheless!

If this is true, I've been trying to figure out what the causes could be. Two scenarios seem the most likely to me:
- The traffic on GW has dropped so dramatically that they can no longer afford to piss off their members or continue to allow only pro-SGU squeedrones to post censorship-free. It could be that GW - like SGU - is needing those SG1 & SGA fans after all if it is to keep its revenue coming in. I don't have the numbers for GW, but if the SGU forum on syfy.com is any indicator, GW is hurting bad.
- Or SGU has already been cancelled (internal memo) and GW sees no reason to push for the show and to protect the soon-to-be-gone SGU rabid fans at the expense of the more loyal SG1 and SGA fans. They are starting to plan for the future without SGU.

Any thoughts?

I dont go into the forums on GW anymore, it gave me heartburn :( I've see the screencaps posted here and there does not seem to be as many posts/threads being deleted due to content (or at least that im aware of)
I think tm's rating results will determine how GW continues to address the issue. If the ratings up tick, they will go back to the Moderating of before, if they decline again (please,please,please) I think you will see even more negative posts getting through and staying.
I wonder though where these negative comments/threads are coming from? I thought a lot of the posters who were unhappy had gone from there :confused:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I dont go into the forums on GW anymore, it gave me heartburn :( I've see the screencaps posted here and there does not seem to be as many posts/threads being deleted due to content (or at least that im aware of)
I think tm's rating results will determine how GW continues to address the issue. If the ratings up tick, they will go back to the Moderating of before, if they decline again (please,please,please) I think you will see even more negative posts getting through and staying.
I wonder though where these negative comments/threads are coming from? I thought a lot of the posters who were unhappy had gone from there :confused:
A lot of them stayed around but usually only post on the SG1 & SGA forums.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I noticed it!

Any thoughts?

I posted one line, just for shits and giggles and of course it disappeared from the moderation queue and I didnt see it on the board. But today, there it was! Something like "This show is done. I wonder if they will give it a decent ending?" I see it on the thread now! And many of the threads are living longer before being closed or deleted.

I agree, Gateworld's site traffic MUST be suffering because of all the censorship. I dont know how the powers were handed out over there, but they chose the people LEAST capable of handling power with fairness and reason. Even China has less strict policies. And yes, I also noticed how dead the SGU boards are over at Syfy. Something tells me that SGU has already lost too much money and that exit strategies are being formulated. I sure would love to be a fly on the wall at the Syfy Programming Executives lounge. When SGU is cancelled this year, where will that leave Gateworld? The ties to TPTB will no longer be in place, because there wont be a reason for there to be. MGM has its own websites where they sell the premium items, and they can use resources like Amazon and Netflix to sell the video media. What will they need with Gateworld?

So, from Gateworld's view, they are suddenly without a HUGE crutch to lean on. They will have to re-acquire the rights to display MGM copyrighted materials...and have to pay for it. No more trips to Vancouver, no more set tours or exclusive Stargate interviews. But who knows, maybe MGM (or their buyers) will give them grandfather rights. But Gateworld will still have to shrink to within manageable limits.

podbaydoors

GateFans Noob
I agree, Gateworld's site traffic MUST be suffering because of all the censorship. I dont know how the powers were handed out over there, but they chose the people LEAST capable of handling power with fairness and reason. Even China has less strict policies. And yes, I also noticed how dead the SGU boards are over at Syfy. Something tells me that SGU has already lost too much money and that exit strategies are being formulated. I sure would love to be a fly on the wall at the Syfy Programming Executives lounge. When SGU is cancelled this year, where will that leave Gateworld? The ties to TPTB will no longer be in place, because there wont be a reason for there to be. MGM has its own websites where they sell the premium items, and they can use resources like Amazon and Netflix to sell the video media. What will they need with Gateworld?

I agree, I think the handwriting is on the wall. Darren realizes now it does no good to suck up to TPTB since soon they won't BE powers. So it doesn't matter if he toes the line, but maybe he can get a few page views back again by being more neutral. Pretty soon the fans will be all he has left.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WEIRD! Have they lifted the iron curtain?

I cant believe that allowed my post to be published over there! They removed my links and references to sgusucks.com, even when I said it as "SGU Sucks (.com)". But they left everything else unedited, including typos! It appeared right beneath brother US06154's post. Thing is, it was in moderation queue for a day. Interesting!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/10/aftermath-continues-sgus-ratings-slide/?cp=2#comments

gateworld.png

They also let this through

gateworld2.png

:icon_e_surprised:

iratecaller

GateFans Noob
I cant believe that allowed my post to be published over there! They removed my links and references to sgusucks.com, even when I said it as "SGU Sucks (.com)". But they left everything else unedited, including typos! It appeared right beneath brother US06154's post. Thing is, it was in moderation queue for a day. Interesting!

Yes very interesting.
Maybe the mods are sick and tired of acting as filters.
As was speculated by others on this site, maybe they see the writing on the wall and understand that anti-sgu posts count as visits to the site. Visits that may be on the decline. Who knows.

Could be a way to boost GW numbers prior to selling it .. assuming there's money to be made with it. ???

- OR - your post will disapear soon. hehehe.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
We are mentioned directly and it's not deleted yet...

They talked us on the SGU Awareness thread - and the posts have been there several days and aren't deleted yet. I just grabbed screenshots in case they disappear. Here's a few:

Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 1.58.27 PM.png

Some were concerned about naming their site SGUrocks, because of us!
Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 1.59.24 PM.png

This one just cracks me up!

Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 2.00.38 PM.png

Then later Skydiver told everyone to ignore us
Screen shot 2010-10-07 at 2.00.58 PM.png

There were some more in between I screen-capped but won't post here unless they disappear later.

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
They talked us on the SGU Awareness thread - and the posts have been there several days and aren't deleted yet. I just grabbed screenshots in case they disappear. Here's a few:

Some were concerned about naming their site SGUrocks, because of us!

This one just cracks me up!

Then later Skydiver told everyone to ignore us

There were some more in between I screen-capped but won't post here unless they disappear later.

couple reasonable posters there. although 40 members? make that 179 last i looked!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
But it's all our fucking fault

couple reasonable posters there. although 40 members? make that 179 last i looked!

I sooooo badly want to jump into this thread when I read shit like this:

By Adrian_Jackson:

I hate to admit it, but SGU haters have REALLY damaged the public's view of the show. This morning I spent hours and hours writing reviews for SGU's DVDs and voting down bad reviews and voting up good reviews...and the bad reviews are just... there's so freaking many of them. I hope they're happy.​
Of course the "40 odd posters" here made up all the bad reviews, because we spend hours of our lives just nerfing SGU on other sites, making up hundreds of reviews and idents each. when will these dumb fucks just open thier eyes and see the show for the steaming pile of shit they have been shoveled with and get a fucking clue. I'm feeling so nice, I'll even provide a template for them:

images

I'm so nice, it's even aimed at the younger audience TPTB were hoping for (and got!!)

Spaceman XIII

GateFans Noob

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/10/aftermath-continues-sgus-ratings-slide/?cp=2#comments

View attachment 1250

They also let this through

View attachment 1252

Excellent bro! Finally the words of wisdom can get through the cracks of Darren's Great Wall of denial.

I posted something on GW 2 days ago, but my comment was gone the next day (not even in queue anymore).

So I posted another to say hello to Darren, which was also gone today:
Untitled-1.gif

Fuck Darren, he's still not ready to see the whole truth.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
You see, removing references to SGU*S prevents people from knowing it exists.

Much like that kitten with his head in the box knows that because he can't see you, you can't see him.