Is it cheaper to fix a car or buy second hand?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I am in two minds at the moment. The thing is that I have a very old car that's nearly 30 years old, but has driven a lot. I don't have an exact reading because the guy I bought it off actually wounded the odometer backwards so it's very difficult to get an answer but if I was to guess, it would have done around 300k. Given that the transmission is gone, the cost of the transmission will be 1800 plus the engine mounts are gone which will be another 500 and also the ac is broken which will be another 300 dollars - all up the car is practically worthless given that I will be lucky to get 500 dollars for it. Given that it's an old car, it's bound for more and more frequent breakdowns - just like a computer and its value would have gone down to practically nothing.

I have been looking at second hand cars but my god are they expensive - like they are worth over 13000 to get a decent one with decent mileage. That's a lot to commit to, but with newer cars there is safety, better reliability and the car won't fuck with you and you won't be throwing good money after bad.

What are your thoughts?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Take the hit and either buy a new car, or a newer second hand car. Newer cars attract lower insurance premiums (even on just green slips), and do not require pink slips if under 5 years old.
Shop around, and take a good hard look at government fleet sales where you can get cars with full logbooks and service histories.

Oh, and look for a Toyota, they tend to be cheaper, more reliable and if something does go sideways, parts are cheaper than nearly every other car on the market.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i know things are diff there a bit with values and laws,etc

we haven't bought a new car off the lot since 1998

every vehicle since that one has been "nearly new".

a late model yr with less then 50k in mileage

i found i would much rather buy like this, not pay over rated new value/prices and have someone else deal with new model flaws and recall work (i check via carfax by VIN)

you pay much closer to what the car should have been valued out for starters and get a vehicle that has had its bugs worked out

of course you can buy a used one even cheaper from like a private owner, but then buyer beware

now we have a 2010 NISSAN MURANO. it was listed for a little over $32k new in 2010, we bought it in 2013 for a bit over $16k with 42k in mileage--no rust, dents, scrapes or interior damage.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am in two minds at the moment. The thing is that I have a very old car that's nearly 30 years old, but has driven a lot. I don't have an exact reading because the guy I bought it off actually wounded the odometer backwards so it's very difficult to get an answer but if I was to guess, it would have done around 300k. Given that the transmission is gone, the cost of the transmission will be 1800 plus the engine mounts are gone which will be another 500 and also the ac is broken which will be another 300 dollars - all up the car is practically worthless given that I will be lucky to get 500 dollars for it. Given that it's an old car, it's bound for more and more frequent breakdowns - just like a computer and its value would have gone down to practically nothing.

I have been looking at second hand cars but my god are they expensive - like they are worth over 13000 to get a decent one with decent mileage. That's a lot to commit to, but with newer cars there is safety, better reliability and the car won't fuck with you and you won't be throwing good money after bad.

What are your thoughts?

I am dealing with this too. My tranny just gave out on my Benz, and it will cost me 1800 to fix, and I have OVER 300k on my car too (all put on there by me :)). But I am going to fix it and continue running it because that is all that's wrong with it. Everything else is in good running order, even the AC and all power stuff on the car, and new paint. Being a classic Benz still gives it some value, and the exceptional shape it's in would add to that but I am keeping the car and avoiding the note.

I guess you need to balance it out on paper first? What kind of car do you have and can you afford a note on a new car?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My 2013 Elantrash is always forsale ...49,000 km

;) ;) ;)

just take the hit and ship it general delivery to Korea.

it would be an expensive point to make (or it could be a cool gofundme campaign :) ), but, they'd get the msg

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
+1 on the Toyota, but it's an open secret that they keep their value so you might have a hard time finding one to match your price range. I hear good things about Honda too but don't have first hand knowledge of them.

Keep in mind that most people take out loans for the full value of their cars these days and that's why they always ask so damn much when they sell them despite the fact that the cars value has dropped below that which they owe on it still.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

it would be an expensive point to make (or it could be a cool gofundme campaign :) ), but, they'd get the msg

clueless? that's funny

you have no idea how humiliating and insulting it is to return a product to a Korean merchant/manufacturer for that Korean/koreans receiving the return

it is a direct affront to their family pride and standing

it would be a great form of revenge that would work swimmingly well in that culture

:)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Those adds are for the Elantra , not the GT which I believe is not reselling at all because of it's reputation as a shitbox ...
Is that not disgusting how low those prices are ! I still owe $18,000 ... Even if the car was wrote off I would only get 8 to 9000 for it and have no car and still a debt of $10,000 ... :sour::sour::sour:
POS ...
Drove by the dealership the other day and I saw them putting a sign up that stated that you could drive the car for 24hrs before you buy . They're that desperate to sell hungdies:wanking: !. No one is buying them because of there ratty service policy's . Still no call back on the no start in park problem . It's a small sensor that does not function sometimes so you have to move the stick shift back and forth a few times to get the thing to start ... :tealc_new050::tealc_new050::tealc_new050:
I rarely drive it as you can see by the mileage . Oh and something is killing the battery also . Had it boosted twice since I owned it . :confused0006::confused0006::confused0006:When the horn beeps after remotely locking the door , the car can barely let out a bleep ! It sounds like its really sick or something .
When I bought the car the hungdie dealership installed the optional backup sensors for me . What a ratty install . Wires all over the motor . I took it in several times asking them to reroute the wires and tidy it up under the hood . They refused . Took the car to another Hungdie dealership and without me even telling them , they tidied all the wires up and put that plastic snap on cable guards . I only take the car to this other dealership now . If all the hungdie dealerships did stuff like this , there cars might be selling but instead , they treat there customers like frakin tools with a credit card to see how much money can we hose out of this customer without fixing or repairing any thing and still smile like they did something special for you ...

:cylon-pancarte04::cylon-pancarte04::cylon-pancarte04:

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Also my new dog jumped on the hood and left huge scrape marks all over the hood and doors so the car needs a paint job now . Not gonna happen .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 06-21-16 at 07.52 AM.PNG
    Screen Shot 06-21-16 at 07.52 AM.PNG
    720.1 KB · Views: 150

Tripler

Well Known GateFan

If I win the lottery , that most definitely would happen ...

;) ;) ;)