Is Hollywood "Whitewashing" Asian Roles?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Crest of the Stars was a bit too political and ending that avoided everything but eh, it was short. I watched D.Gray-Man, that was pretty decent, and Fullmetal Alchemist was pretty cool too; Death Note was ok. Tengen Toppa whatever turned me off from mech for now. Chrome Shelled Regios was better than Crest, I think. And that's all I've seen so far but nothing comes close to One Piece. Fairy Tail's a poor imitation but it tries. I'll try Space Battleship Yamato but it better not be as emo as the movie. I can't understand Japanese so I just watch the episodes twice the normal speed since I'm reading stuff anyways. Lemme know if anyone has anything else, doesn't have to be sci-fi. Think a brief description would be nice if possible.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm a huge fan of both Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate (second one follows the manga and is a lot harsher, if that's possible).

But I don't know if you like that kind of guts-ridden, wildly bloody vampire stuff --

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ya know, after watching both, I think ultimate didn't make Alucard any more "badass".
Sure as HELL made Seras alot more Badass :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Ya know, after watching both, I think ultimate didn't make Alucard any more "badass".
Sure as HELL made Seras alot more Badass :D
That was part of my point about it actually following the manga. Seras Victoria wasn't a shrinking violet. She was one seriously kickass vampire, once she was turned.

*The Bird of Hermes is my name. Eating my wings to make me tame.* ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I always thought that refered to Alucard to be honest.

"hermes" in this case isn't the "god" but the magician, and the hellsing organization DID seriously "limit" Alucard.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I always thought that refered to Alucard to be honest.

"hermes" in this case isn't the "god" but the magician, and the hellsing organization DID seriously "limit" Alucard.
Well, eventually Sir Integral Wingates Hellsing pretty much gave him a free rein. But then, he and Police Girl had a huge mess to clean up.

Stinkin' ghouls...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'd still vote Space Battleship Yamato.

In many ways it was the original anime. Story is straight Sci-Fi and actually gets pretty complex with good characterization (especially in the Comet Empire serial). It does have one situation that occured where they actually redid the ending to Comet Empire because the original one ticked the audiences off so much, so make sure you are looking at the redone one (in the redone one Kodai/Wildstar has been promoted to Captian of the ship).

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yamato was pretty decent, reminded me a bit of Battlestar Galactica minus the soap. Kodai was super annoying to me.

I'd recommend Full Metal Panic! to anyone interested even though it had some magic mecha. It didn't focus on that but was just hilarious.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Yamato movie was annoying. The animes are a different story. In the animes Kodai has a real and interesting character arc centering on his maturation into a good officer and tactician.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'll agree with you there, movie Kodai was more annoying. I just didn't like his 'headstrong and stubbornness' magically resulting in a correct decision. Captain was pretty cool. lol the pants in the series, craziness, kept thinking they were about to have a disco, but twas product of the times.