Is Hollywood "Whitewashing" Asian Roles?

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

This is interesting, but I have to disagree that Hollywood is doing the whitewashing. I think it is the Japanese themselves who are doing it! Almost all Anime and Manga in Japan depicts what appear to be Caucasian characters not even remotely resembling Asians. They all have huge, "Western" eyes, and many of them have blue eyes and blonde hair. I cannot think of a single anime character that looks Asian to me. Not one. Hollywood is not the one doing that.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I know.

"Dragonball: Evolution" goes so far as to make my hair hurt when I even think of it.

...shudder...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wouldn't be the first time nor the last sadly.

Hollywood does lots of this to other groups, but in this particular case I think that Hollywood is more innocent than guilty.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
This is interesting, but I have to disagree that Hollywood is doing the whitewashing. I think it is the Japanese themselves who are doing it! Almost all Anime and Manga in Japan depicts what appear to be Caucasian characters not even remotely resembling Asians. They all have huge, "Western" eyes, and many of them have blue eyes and blonde hair. I cannot think of a single anime character that looks Asian to me. Not one. Hollywood is not the one doing that.
Don't forget the green hair, blue hair, purple hair...and often matching eyes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't forget the green hair, blue hair, purple hair...and often matching eyes.

TRUE! But how many have the Asian eyes? I cant think of Speed Racer as an Asian, but I think he was supposed to be, as was Trixie and Pops and the others.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
It's not that they're trying to make them look Caucasian, because they aren't. It's got to do with making the eyes more expressive.

The characters are supposed to be Asian. Period. If they're supposed to be Caucasian, they do let you know.

LOL...as I write this, the theme to Ghost in the Shell "Rise" is playing. I love this song.

S

Stonelesscutter

Oh those poor Asian actors. My heart weeps for them.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I have no idea what that means but knowing you it's probably something very filthy. Like bukkake or something.

Sweetheart, you've been performing seppuku on this forum (and many others) for quite some time now. ;)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It's not that they're trying to make them look Caucasian, because they aren't. It's got to do with making the eyes more expressive.

The characters are supposed to be Asian. Period. If they're supposed to be Caucasian, they do let you know.

LOL...as I write this, the theme to Ghost in the Shell "Rise" is playing. I love this song.

Ghost in the shell is awesome :)

I do think there is a leaning in Hollywood to make everyone "white and nice" to an extent, unless they cannot be for story reasons. It's actually a bit sad really.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I can't find any decent sci-fi anymore so I'm resorting to anime. Anyone know of any sci-fi anime that's not stupid mech crap or emo crap?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Space Battleship Yamato.