Is Doctor Who considered fantasy or science fiction?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It kinda is, and kinda isn't. Like I said earlier in this thread, it is sorta like science fantasy. It leans decidedly towards scifi, but it isnt really scifi. Its the Who genre!
I could say the same thing about trek. :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I could say the same thing about trek. :lol:

Welll.....not really. :) Star Trek's slash is action-adventure. Scifi/Action-adventure, not Scifi-Fantasy (IMO) :) Yes, there are the Dowd and Q and the Doctor and Kes (only the one from the Fury episode). Even with all that, there is still more fantasy in Doctor Who. Especially the more recent seasons. I liked it a lot when I started watching in the 1970s with the 4th Doctor Tom Baker. After him, I got used to Peter Davidson (5th Doctor), and then the 6th Doctor kinda turned me off and the flavor of the show changed. I sporadically watch episodes at random, but I have not been following the show.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I have been told by amateur scholars of the early Dr. Who (black and white days) that it was 100% science fiction back then. I have not seen enough of the old episodes to know one way or the other.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have been told by amateur scholars of the early Dr. Who (black and white days) that it was 100% science fiction back then. I have not seen enough of the old episodes to know one way or the other.

It was. I did not start watching until the 1970s, but I did see some of the earlier stuff.