Is anybody into this show? I could not find a thread here on it outside of the renew/cancel threads.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Falling Skies hits the mark yet misses the mark. I found it watchable for the most part, but the story seems a bit convoluted. I have rewatched seasons 1 and 2 and they are a mix of drama with action, done in a serialized format. Thing is, it lacks cohesion. Unlike The Walking Dead where the world has basically been reduced to a zombie feeding ground with the "prey humans" trying to survive, Falling Skies is given a premise which is never stated. Aliens come to earth and subdue it, but nobody seems to know (or care) WHY they came or what they want. Already, we have surrogate humans being used to help them fight the ruling caste. But when they talk to the humans through surrogates, nobody asks them WHY they came or what they really want with earth.

The CGI is okay, the characters are well developed, but they go nowhere with the plot. Anyway, this show has been renewed for a third season, so if you can please catch up on season 1 and 2. Not the best show, but it has enough scifi in it to make it watchable. Dont go in expecting TNG!

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I tried to get into that show but was turned off by the soapiness of the eps I caught. If they have good eps, I'll give it a shot.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
tried season one (there should be a thread I started around here somewhere) but gave up with the perfectly coiffed hair, trendy clothes and lack of a good storyline. it was too predictable (that the harnessed kids become the "skitters"), etc...:P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This show doesn't really do it for me. Like most shows today it's incredibly easy to pick apart because the flaws are so blatantly evident -- Interesting premise that becomes lame due to not being logically explained. Mediocre characters that do nothing to inspire interest. Annoying children (nuff sed). There's more, always more, but you get the idea.

Basically you just need to watch the last couple minutes of this show (if you're so inclined) and then you're up to speed on it. Everything that comes before the last couple minutes is usually just "meh".

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
It was odd to watch, I kept on watching until the very end but it kept falling short each episode for me. Its a good idea but I feel that it gets bogged down trying to do too much per episode, its all here, there and all over. The concept of survival is again sort of misused here, they think they can just survive off by looting places without realizing that no one is the world is manufacturing food supplies so what happens after?

I think they've made the Aliens a tad too powerful in the beginning (since they were able to subdue the entire world's military in a matter of weeks), using super high speed craft then suddenly use slave labor and man made materials in their construction? Also the Aliens purpose is mysterious (why would they broad their intentions) I know they have hinted at it, but it just seems like they are typical 'Space Dicks to knock over your sandcastle' or the 'We're actually trying to help you' types, maybe this is just me, but I want to see more of a tragedy behind the Aliens as to why they doing things.

Also I'm going to say this again (cause I love ad nauseum) when you are facing a technological advanced race, you don't actually have to show them visibly on screen. Just have the Aliens engaging at long ranges, just see either the impacts of rounds or maybe even 'space tracer' fire and only give a silhouette/hint outline if you do the camera angle from a 'down scope' view. Why do I ask this? Well mainly because with any warfare each side is constantly analyzing each other in the way of tactics, humans develop one strategy - aliens counter it and vice versa, it displays competence on both sides and also adaptation and new things to happen in the show!

But that is just me.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
tried season one (there should be a thread I started around here somewhere) but gave up with the perfectly coiffed hair, trendy clothes and lack of a good storyline. it was too predictable (that the harnessed kids become the "skitters"), etc...:P
Let's not forget those perfectly coiffed front yards, as well.

Skitter-mowers, as I recall.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let's not forget those perfectly coiffed front yards, as well.

Skitter-mowers, as I recall.

LMAO! And window cleaners too. :anim_59:. The story tries too hard to be a family show IMO. My Three Sons in a post-apocalyptic world.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Overmind? Are you all right?

We have over a dozen threads discussing Falling Skies.....

http://www.gatefans.net/gforums/forums/falling-skies.1767/

That search did not work for me. :) I did reindex the forums after not finding them, since I remember distinctly participating in them. Also, I may not have looked very hard. :anim_59: In either case, the show will be returning this summer, so might as well prepare for it!