iPad 2... good god it's here...

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Okay, just got word from my work that the iPad 2 just arrived.

This is the device which people have been clawing each others eyes out, and it's not even all that different than the first. (i know, i own one)

I may not survive tomorrow since i have both corporate and retail clients clamboring for them. I'm going to work tomorrow with a tazer, mace, and possibly a shotgun in the car.

if i don't survive, my computer equipment goes to Omni, my movies go to OM1, and my TNG DVDs go to Rac80!

Bury me with my cell phone though, i may need it. :o

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

This is the device which people have been clawing each others eyes out, and it's not even all that different than the first. (i know, i own one)

I may not survive tomorrow since i have both corporate and retail clients clamboring for them. I'm going to work tomorrow with a tazer, mace, and possibly a shotgun in the car.

if i don't survive, my computer equipment goes to Omni, my movies go to OM1, and my TNG DVDs go to Rac80!

LOL mr. Rac would appreciate it...he loves the show! ;)

Oh you will get mobbed I am sure...may it be a dozen pretty girls ripping your clothes off! ;) have fun! :D

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

it is eh? god i wish you luck tomorrow man.

personally i dont even see what the hoobla is about.. i dont own one myself but ive played with a friends pad and to me its just pointless i really dont get it what would i do with it? watch movies? then id have to buy a stand for it.. surf the web? i have a lappy for that with a good old KEYBOARD!!

i really dont want an ipad myself and if i was given one id likly sell it..
anyway good louck to ya sam!

and ive photo capped your post for eveidence so i can claim your gear if something unfortunate happens to ya :D (hopefully it wont.)

Red Mage

Boney
The iPad is kind of silly mainly due to its price. I have played around with one of the first generation units. Don't get me wrong, it's nifty. However, for $829 or whatever the cost of the 64mb iPad was, I could get a fairly solid laptop that would have much greater applications and capabilities.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
This technology is ancient. Tablet PCs have been around for almost a decade now. The technology never caught on because of the limited support of apps back in the early 2000s.There was the poor marketing microsoft also.

It's only apple who have taken the idea and marketed the hell out of it. I'll admit it looks nice, but there are many reasons why I want to avoid this and the samsung galaxy,one thing is space and number two is, the price absolutely ridiculous!32gb is very limited in today's age.If it was 100 something gigs then it will be reasonable.

And I am sure people are already waiting to know what exactly apple has it store next year...

OMNI

The iPad is kind of silly mainly due to its price. I have played around with one of the first generation units. Don't get me wrong, it's nifty. However, for $829 or whatever the cost of the 64mb iPad was, I could get a fairly solid laptop that would have much greater applications and capabilities.

in full agreement with you.

an ipad is just an expensive toy same with the iphone... whatevere happened to computers being computers and phones being phones?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
in full agreement with you.

an ipad is just an expensive toy same with the iphone... whatevere happened to computers being computers and phones being phones?

Simple, "they" don't want you to have an actual computer, "they" want you to have plug and play accessories.

G

Graybrew1

I like separating the devices too. I use my smartphone as my phone. My itouch as my toy. And my laptop as my computer. I guess I can understand why people want to merge it all into one. But count me out. I feel jaded enough as it is now. LOL

OMNI

I like separating the devices too. I use my smartphone as my phone. My itouch as my toy. And my laptop as my computer. I guess I can understand why people want to merge it all into one. But count me out. I feel jaded enough as it is now. LOL

+1

but i dont even have a "smart" phone i have an older one that works just fine and it isnt as fragile as all other stuff seems to be today.. come on ive heard people with i phones say they have shortcircited just BC it was a little moist outside or to cold when they carried it in their jacket pocket.. wtf is up with that? not to mention if you drop it from an inch its pretty much useless.. but my phone works in the rain ive dropped so many times i cant count ive even thrown it as hard as i can into a wall yet it still works.. im not at all a fan of the easily brakable crap that out there these days...

Feeling like a grumpy old guy at 25 LMFAO!

OMNI

More selling "certified support" but yeah :)

of couse you have to factor in that to along with repairs etc :P

"quality" sure has died. im surprised cars havnt gone this way yet... you know buy one and 2 years later you need a new one as the one you had fell into a pile of rusty pieces..

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
of couse you have to factor in that to along with repairs etc :P

"quality" sure has died. im surprised cars havnt gone this way yet... you know buy one and 2 years later you need a new one as the one you had fell into a pile of rusty pieces..

They do, just it's harder to get the plastic to rust :D

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Owning an iPad has its benefits at times, but truth be told,it's a giant gameboy with internet capabilities. Even with a bluetooth keyboard attached i only ever use it for e-mail, and light web surfing beyond games.

There are shit tons of apps though, it can be very productive in certain circumstances. books are really easy and nice to read on it for instance.

Realistically, it's just a viewing device IMO. You can't really do anything on it.

G

Graybrew1

+1

but i dont even have a "smart" phone i have an older one that works just fine and it isnt as fragile as all other stuff seems to be today.. come on ive heard people with i phones say they have shortcircited just BC it was a little moist outside or to cold when they carried it in their jacket pocket.. wtf is up with that? not to mention if you drop it from an inch its pretty much useless.. but my phone works in the rain ive dropped so many times i cant count ive even thrown it as hard as i can into a wall yet it still works.. im not at all a fan of the easily brakable crap that out there these days...

Feeling like a grumpy old guy at 25 LMFAO!

I admit , I need the smartphone to get my emails on for work. I actually consider myself a tech geek at times. But I think you can enjoy the tech alot more individually than smushed into one.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Owning an iPad has its benefits at times, but truth be told,it's a giant gameboy with internet capabilities. Even with a bluetooth keyboard attached i only ever use it for e-mail, and light web surfing beyond games.

There are shit tons of apps though, it can be very productive in certain circumstances. books are really easy and nice to read on it for instance.

Realistically, it's just a viewing device IMO. You can't really do anything on it.

And that is the issue. You can't do really useful things on it because it is running a modded phone OS and so the important desktop type programs cannot be loaded (like Office for example). If you want a truly useful tablet the Asus eeeSlate makes a lot more sense.

Red Mage

Boney
I certainly share the sentiment that its better to buy individual tech dedicated to that particular use. If its a dedicated device it's usually better at its purpose than a jack of all trades device like the iphone. Why carry around a tool that's only going to do half the job? For gaming, I prefer a dedicated system with buttons and for a real computer for web surfing, word processing e-mail etc. A gaming handheld, laptop and phone are not so big that I really need them condensed into one unit especially the phone and game device. If I really needed all three with me for a particular purpose, I can easily fit all three into a leather case/bag.

I was playing my PSP on break at work and I had a friend ask why I didn't have an iPhone because it does everything. I told him I have an iPod touch and I hate it for gaming because the lack of tactile response (no real buttons) makes the controls awful. Like most Apple afficionados, he goes on the defensive (probably because of the massive amount of money he spent on the tech) and asks if my PSP is an alarm clock and billion other things. I answered: No. But then asked if he knew what I had to wake up in the morning: an alarm clock. The irony here is my screenname is Red Mage which is a character class that is basically a walking iPhone; does a bit of everything but doesn't excel at anything yet I'm advocating specialization.