HDMI rape by cable. It is happening daily to millions of uninformed consumers.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
As usual we're right and Bluce is wrong. You'd think we would have learned not to even try by now. :P:anim_59:

:icon_lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
There's an electronics store around the corner from here. HDMI starts at $7.

You can find HDMI cables cheap just about anywhere except most American retail electronic chains.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240
We buy cabling at Monoprice as well. Great prices and they support their products, too. They're also based in the U.S. (in beautiful Rancho CUCAmonga!)

I picked up my minidisplay cabling to attach my Surface Pro to a monitor from them for less than 10 bucks.

Bluce Ree

Well, not "as usual". :P But he would be wrong if he claimed that the strength of the signal (above bare minimum standard) had any bearing whatsoever on the digital data being carried. The data is either readable or it is not. Black and white. 1s and 0s.

Exactly right. Marketing people prey on the average person's stupidity and that represents a significant market share in America. Back in the analog days it was true but digital data either gets there or doesn't. Like Ape said, there's no such thing as degradation of quality in the case of HDMI.

Bluce Ree

Hey! I just realized it's not far from 'fat makes you fat". :icon_lol:

Bluce Ree

He's no doubt trying to justify spending $1000 on HDMI cables, but like I try to tell him, when you're Romney rich you don't have to justify anything to anyone. ;) :P

Goddammit who is this Romney rich guy you keep talking about? Maybe he can loan me some money. I want a new car!! :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Exactly right. Marketing people prey on the average person's stupidity and that represents a significant market share in America. Back in the analog days it was true but digital data either gets there or doesn't. Like Ape said, there's no such thing as degradation of quality in the case of HDMI.

Yep, but try telling that to the "experts" selling $500 HDMI cables at Best Buy Magnolia Home Entertainment! :anim_59:. They will go on about how the signal "gets weaker" with a long cable run. Like a massive 9' stretch. :rolleye0014: Those arguments did hold in the analog days. They still somewhat apply to network ethernet cables. But you have to stretch 600' before it becomes an issue. They want to convince people that having ACTUAL GOLD (omg omg, GOLD!) plating on the connectors or silver alloys in the cable is going to be worth paying a markup of over 2000% :P
--- merged: Apr 11, 2013 at 4:48 PM ---
Goddammit who is this Romney rich guy you keep talking about? Maybe he can loan me some money. I want a new car!! :icon_lol:

Dude, even I consider you Romney rich! :anim_59: :P. Need a valet or a chauffeur? :happy0007:

Bluce Ree

So, if I understood you guys, mortgaging my home right through to my grandchildren for top of the line HDMI cables that are gold latinum filament wiring laced with platinum tips sheathed in rare Galapagos dragon skin covered turtle shell inner casing was a bad idea and won't make my shows look better? :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yep, but try telling that to the "experts" selling $500 HDMI cables at Best Buy Magnolia Home Entertainment! :anim_59:. They will go on about how the signal "gets weaker" with a long cable run. Like a massive 9' stretch. :rolleye0014: Those arguments did hold in the analog days. They still somewhat apply to network ethernet cables. But you have to stretch 600' before it becomes an issue. They want to convince people that having ACTUAL GOLD (omg omg, GOLD!) plating on the connectors or silver alloys in the cable is going to be worth paying a markup of over 2000% :P

Don't forget dude, some of this comes down to the salespeople simply not being trained right as well, and why would companies bother when the outdated info they are working with gets them that 2000% margin. :P
--- merged: Apr 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM ---
So, if I understood you guys, mortgaging my home right through to my grandchildren for top of the line HDMI cables that are gold latinum filament wiring laced with platinum tips sheathed in rare Galapagos dragon skin covered turtle shell inner casing was a bad idea and won't make my shows look better? :(

GOLD PRESSED LATINUM!!!
geez man, all that time in Panama has been messing with your mind :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Sure they will! I got just the thing...but you gotta understand, all of that is hidden under the low-end rubber insulation...to protect it. I got just the thing, a 6' cable for $1795. But since you are such a good guy, Ill knock off the $95 and let you steal it from me for only $1700! :P :anim_59:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Don't forget dude, some of this comes down to the salespeople simply not being trained right as well, and why would companies bother when the outdated info they are working with gets them that 2000% margin. :P
--- merged: Apr 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM ---

GOLD PRESSED LATINUM!!!
geez man, all that time in Panama has been messing with your mind :lol:
Where's Morn when you need him?
morn-deep-space-nine.jpg

Bluce Ree

Some HDMI cables can't handle the amount of data shooting across them. Like I mentioned earlier, the cable I had between my PS3 and my TV was causing image blackouts because the cable couldn't handle the data load but the solution was a cable that only cost a couple bucks more. I didn't go to the platinum class cables for $8000 to resolve the problem. :D

Dude, even I consider you Romney rich! :anim_59: :P. Need a valet or a chauffeur? :happy0007:

E tu, Brute? :happy0007:
--- merged: Apr 11, 2013 at 7:28 PM ---
Glass??

Some kind of Panamanian designer drug I imagine................. :P

They use crumbled glass in salads when they run out of croutons. Not bad but, apparently, not good for one's long term health.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Just bustin' your balls dude. After all, I no longer have a Dutch SOB to keep me sharp so I've got to find someone to practice on. :anim_59:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan