Hawkeye

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yes, the weakest avenger in the MCU has his own show now and it's running on Disney+. So far there have been two episodes, but the third one is airing tomorrow. I watched the two available episodes. I was not un-entertained. I'm not exactly blown away by things so far, but I have hope that things will get interesting. Anyway, there's not much else going on in TV world for me, so I'll definitely keep watching regardless. There was a tie-in to the events in New York from the Avengers movie and if you've watched the teasers in the credits of the Marvel movies, you would find that the one in the Doctor Strange credits relates to this series. I do hope that the series will go in the direction of that credits scene, but it probably won't happen like that.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Is Jeremy Renner playing Hawkeye in the series?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Is Jeremy Renner playing Hawkeye in the series?
Yes, it's Jeremy Renner alright. It would have sucked if it wasn't. Not that other actors wouldn't be capable of playing Hawkeye, but you know, it just wouldn't be the same.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode 3 was interesting. It was over too soon. Looking forward to the next one. The highlight was the scene with the PYM arrowhead. :)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The episodes are too short. I'm like "awww maaan!". Feels like the episodes should be double the length.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Episode 4 introduced a new character by the way. Or should I say, a returning character from one of the Marvel movies.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Good episode, the fifth one. The plot is definitely thickening.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
So they brought in Yelena from the Black Widow film. Logical crossover.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yes. And from the end of the last episode I saw, it looks like it'll also cross-over with Daredevil. Or at the very least there will be characters from Daredevil in it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yes. And from the end of the last episode I saw, it looks like it'll also cross-over with Daredevil. Or at the very least there will be characters from Daredevil in it.
i didn't watch any of it, waiting till its done

sounds though like marvel/disney is defi establish a tiered system of A team, B team, C team

a- being avengers, guardians of galaxy

b- being lesser characters of no unnatural power like hawkeye black widow and daredevil, jessica jones

c - being the supporting characters who do the grunt work like with agents of shield

sound about right?

btw- agents of sword seems like it is a thing. reportedly to be streamed on disney+ in jan 2023 (??)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
i didn't watch any of it, waiting till its done

sounds though like marvel/disney is defi establish a tiered system of A team, B team, C team

a- being avengers, guardians of galaxy

b- being lesser characters of no unnatural power like hawkeye black widow and daredevil, jessica jones

c - being the supporting characters who do the grunt work like with agents of shield

sound about right?

btw- agents of sword seems like it is a thing. reportedly to be streamed on disney+ in jan 2023 (??)

All six episodes of this "season" are out already, so there's nothing to stop you from watching it now. I haven't seen the 6th episode myself yet. We're currently away from home, and although I could technically watch it on my laptop, I prefer to wait until I can watch it on the TV at home.

I'm not sure they are actively working towards a tiered system. There are definitely heroes with smaller gifts/powers and ones with bigger ones, but that was already the case. It is however not like the smaller ones get TV shows while the bigger ones get movies. I think they're coming up with a large high level story and are figuring out which parts could fit into that story and which do not.

Looking forward to Agents of S.W.O.R.D. Shame it'll be yet another year wait.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
All six episodes of this "season" are out already, so there's nothing to stop you from watching it now. I haven't seen the 6th episode myself yet. We're currently away from home, and although I could technically watch it on my laptop, I prefer to wait until I can watch it on the TV at home.

I'm not sure they are actively working towards a tiered system. There are definitely heroes with smaller gifts/powers and ones with bigger ones, but that was already the case. It is however not like the smaller ones get TV shows while the bigger ones get movies. I think they're coming up with a large high level story and are figuring out which parts could fit into that story and which do not.

Looking forward to Agents of S.W.O.R.D. Shame it'll be yet another year wait.
apparently Disney+ have also just announced SECRET INVASION. another series. also probably coming in '23

in one of the articles i looked at yesterday i also saw it mentioned that DISNEY/MARVEL has announced that:

NO TV SHOW PRIOR TO WANDAVISION / FALCON and WINTER SOLDDIER IS CANON. So all the Netflix stuff is out, apparently as IS AGENTS OF SHIELD

if true, they will do with this just as they have done with SW's legends: declare a huge body of work non canon then take from it and adjust as needed and re use it

saves A LOT of time and creative effort, don't it!?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I just watched the last episode of Hawkeye and I must say they really did a good job on it. There were many thoughts that came up, but I really need to hit the sack right now. My family still has to watch the show, so I'm sure I'll get back to this in a bit.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so, see, already they have done as Lucasarts/Disney as done in SW's-- declare non canon a whole huge patch of work/ creativity, only to draw on it for future productions

i mean, its smart right? why pay more money and pay ppl to be more creative when you already have all that you need on "ice" so to speak?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I just watched the last episode of Hawkeye and I must say they really did a good job on it. There were many thoughts that came up, but I really need to hit the sack right now. My family still has to watch the show, so I'm sure I'll get back to this in a bit.
So i watched it all last night and today

entertaining.. they comedy bits like the Gopnik, tracksuit guy asking Kate for dating advice while he has her prisoner/ gun to her. and other bits got a little tiring, but overall, i liked it

i haven't watched Black Widow yet so assuming the 5 yrs blacking out in 5 seconds thing was explained there?

also appreciated that the actress who played Maya/ Echo is a person who is actually deaf and who is actually missing a limb, and who is really a martial artist

thought she was great in her role.

Tony Dalton- always awesome too

-------------------------------
with the issue of declaring all tv shows before WANDAVISION non canon, other than AGENTS OF SHIELD , does wiping out the other netflix shows effect the main MCU all that much. Or will it give TPTB's a lot more to work with?

and on AGENTS-- how do they go into AGENTS OF SWORD? like how to explain everyone who is coming from SHIELD's backstory?

Coulson's death to now being a LMD? will they use the same story just abbreviate it in like ep 1 since we are to forget SHIELD? Healed by using necrotic Kree tissue, than died again and made to a LMD?

what about Daisy and her backstory? seems that inhumans are still canon. Will TPTBs use them as some kind of intro to X men somehow? I read where "the Blip" is going to be used to awaken the X MEN mutation. that all the XMEN movies we have seen are still canon but just happen in our future no matter how old they are in real time.. none of them happened until after The Blip

idk,, whatever they do, its way too much stuff to keep up with :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
and is the reveal about Hawkeye's family really that revealing? Kind of just assumed that is the way ppl gravitated towards one another

especially after watching agents of shield

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
So i watched it all last night and today

entertaining.. they comedy bits like the Gopnik, tracksuit guy asking Kate for dating advice while he has her prisoner/ gun to her. and other bits got a little tiring, but overall, i liked it

i haven't watched Black Widow yet so assuming the 5 yrs blacking out in 5 seconds thing was explained there?

also appreciated that the actress who played Maya/ Echo is a person who is actually deaf and who is actually missing a limb, and who is really a martial artist

thought she was great in her role.

Tony Dalton- always awesome too

-------------------------------
with the issue of declaring all tv shows before WANDAVISION non canon, other than AGENTS OF SHIELD , does wiping out the other netflix shows effect the main MCU all that much. Or will it give TPTB's a lot more to work with?

and on AGENTS-- how do they go into AGENTS OF SWORD? like how to explain everyone who is coming from SHIELD's backstory?

Coulson's death to now being a LMD? will they use the same story just abbreviate it in like ep 1 since we are to forget SHIELD? Healed by using necrotic Kree tissue, than died again and made to a LMD?

what about Daisy and her backstory? seems that inhumans are still canon. Will TPTBs use them as some kind of intro to X men somehow? I read where "the Blip" is going to be used to awaken the X MEN mutation. that all the XMEN movies we have seen are still canon but just happen in our future no matter how old they are in real time.. none of them happened until after The Blip

idk,, whatever they do, its way too much stuff to keep up with :)
Man, you sure think about things a lot. I mean that as a compliment. I tend to stay away from speculation though in order to just enjoy the shows/movies as they are presented to me. I like them better that way.

The 5 years blackout thing was not explained in Black Widow. Black Widow was the introduction of the new black widow, to replace Scarlett Johansson. Well, it was much more than that of course, but it was the vehicle that was used to do this. Anyway, the 5 year gap was the blip caused by Thanos snapping his fingers in Avengers: Infinity War, causing half of all life in the universe to instantly cease to exist. Yelena was one of those people. She was in some place in Budapest (if memory serves me correctly) when that happened. Then she reappeared and for her it was as no time had been spent, but she came out of the bathroom to find a family living there.

The declaring of other TV shows as non-canon, does it mean anything for the MCU? I don't believe it does. I can't recall any ties between any of the 25 or so movies which make up the MCU and any TV shows, other than Loki, which is a new show, and is I assume considered to be canon. Maybe there are shows that I'm not aware of or coming to mind right now, but sows like Luke Cage, Iron Fist and whatever the name of that show was with the chick (Jessica I think) that was super strong, there is no loss there. Those first two were entertaining, but they don't need to be connected to the MCU per se. Then again, I also don't see any reason why they could not still be part of the MCU canon, but perhaps there are aspects I'm not considering. It feels more like an overall quality thing to me, like the MCU has a certain standard, and those former shows don't live up to it.

You seem to be saying firstly that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is still canon, then questioning how people from that show will be explained in Agents of S.W.O.R.D. I think you may have intended to say that Shield is not canon. Anyway, I'm not sure what to think, but I will watch whatever movies and shows are coming and probably enjoy them regardless.

As for X-Men movies remaining to be canon while claiming them to take place in the future after the blip, that is just a load of nonsense if you ask me. Whomever wrote that does not appear to be very bright. The X-men movies contain parts which are clearly set in specific time periods, which clearly take place way before the blip. The assassination of JFK comes to mind for example, as does the second world war. The blip was contemporary and took place in our time, give or take a few years perhaps. So the blip being responsible for the X-Men mutations is horse-shit. It would be better to keep the Shield explanation in that respect.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
the 5 year gap was the blip caused by Thanos
ah.. ok. i had assumed it was a secret spy thing since just prior we had seen her and the other black widow try to deprogram the other woman; i just assumed a similar thing happened to her

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
You seem to be saying firstly that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is still canon, then questioning how people from that show will be explained in Agents of S.W.O.R.D. I think you may have intended to say that Shield is not canon
it has been announced that the NF shows and Agents of shield are no longer canon. but, the characters from Agents/shield are going to be used in SWORD

so, if they have the same abilities /characteristics- like Daisy being the Inhuman Quake- well that was all explained in SHIELD. so if she is still quake in SWORD, do they just go with it or do they re-explain it?

Coulson- they explained how he "survived" in SHIELD and then became a LMD. so in SWORD will they go back to him not knowing how he was saved? or will they have him be a LMD just out of the blue; as if he did die on the Carrier and his "consciousness" was put into a LMD

but, seeing how they kind of just do what ever they want and chalk it up to parallel universes-- they just turn the whole thing into a huge mess with NO explanations- can't they

"well AGENTS OF SHIELD happened in that universe but not this one; in this one, the team went straight into being the AGENTS OF SWORD"

whatever--- i'll watch it, but just keep the SW's shows coming to keep things nice and neat :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Man, you sure think about things a lot. I mean that as a compliment. I tend to stay away from speculation though in order to just enjoy the shows/movies as they are presented to me. I like them better that way.

The 5 years blackout thing was not explained in Black Widow. Black Widow was the introduction of the new black widow, to replace Scarlett Johansson. Well, it was much more than that of course, but it was the vehicle that was used to do this. Anyway, the 5 year gap was the blip caused by Thanos snapping his fingers in Avengers: Infinity War, causing half of all life in the universe to instantly cease to exist. Yelena was one of those people. She was in some place in Budapest (if memory serves me correctly) when that happened. Then she reappeared and for her it was as no time had been spent, but she came out of the bathroom to find a family living there.

The declaring of other TV shows as non-canon, does it mean anything for the MCU? I don't believe it does. I can't recall any ties between any of the 25 or so movies which make up the MCU and any TV shows, other than Loki, which is a new show, and is I assume considered to be canon. Maybe there are shows that I'm not aware of or coming to mind right now, but sows like Luke Cage, Iron Fist and whatever the name of that show was with the chick (Jessica I think) that was super strong, there is no loss there. Those first two were entertaining, but they don't need to be connected to the MCU per se. Then again, I also don't see any reason why they could not still be part of the MCU canon, but perhaps there are aspects I'm not considering. It feels more like an overall quality thing to me, like the MCU has a certain standard, and those former shows don't live up to it.

You seem to be saying firstly that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is still canon, then questioning how people from that show will be explained in Agents of S.W.O.R.D. I think you may have intended to say that Shield is not canon. Anyway, I'm not sure what to think, but I will watch whatever movies and shows are coming and probably enjoy them regardless.

As for X-Men movies remaining to be canon while claiming them to take place in the future after the blip, that is just a load of nonsense if you ask me. Whomever wrote that does not appear to be very bright. The X-men movies contain parts which are clearly set in specific time periods, which clearly take place way before the blip. The assassination of JFK comes to mind for example, as does the second world war. The blip was contemporary and took place in our time, give or take a few years perhaps. So the blip being responsible for the X-Men mutations is horse-shit. It would be better to keep the Shield explanation in that respect.
The MCU strikes me as being in a state of advanced confusion at the moment. Their streaming series have gotten VERY inconsistent receptions (WandaVision generally favorable, Winter Soldier and Loki pretty negative and Hawkeye seems to be jury still out) and the films have had really tepid box-office with the only real hit being the one where although it has an MCU moniker it was mostly a Sony product (No Way Home). Now they are disrupting their own canon to no real purpose.

Much as I hate reboots I think the MCU needs a full reset button - which SHOULD have happened in Endgame. There is just too much stuff to explain in their world at this point and the movies have become too "insiderish" in that you need to have knowledge of multiplie past films for the current ones to make sense. Ironically that is pretty much what Spider Man just did - Peter Parker is now free to be Spidey without reference to the MCU.

Last edited: