Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt II

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I just came home from watching the movie and.... wow. That's all I'm going to say because of:
a) Spoilers. Granted a lot of people have read the books, but some haven't so I don't want to spoil it for 'em.
b) It was just my first watch, and I'm afraid that in order to form a complete opinion of the film I'm going to need to watch it again so that I can notice flaws and plotholes I didn't notice the first time 'round.

But right now my opinion of the movie is that it's bloody fantastic.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Predictable for a reason.

As to the ending of the deathly hallows...remember despite the kids "growing up"...these are essentially children's books....there was no way Harry would die...simple as that. had she killed off Harry, J K Rowling knew that parents/teachers wouldn't introduce the next generation of [Strike]consumers[/Strike]...errrr young minds to the books and then what would happen to all of the merchandising...the wizarding world of harry potter, etc??? she's one canny lass and knows how to keep the goose laying those solid gold eggs. ;)

B

Backstep

I will be going to see this, HP has been a fun series to follow.

S

Stonelesscutter

To be honest, I was not all that impressed with Deathly Hallows Pt1, not because of any lack of acting or production, but simply because it was so darn long. I understand they want to do the finale justice, but it's such a departure from movies 1-6, where they concentrated mainly on getting the main elements of the story across. DH pt1 however is trying to stick damn near every detail from the book into it. In of itself, thats not a bad thing but it does seem a little "jarring" to see this switch for the last 2 movies only. Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy it :)

I noticed this same thing with Deathly Hallows part 1 and I agree that it seemed a little long winded, especially compared to the other installments.

S

Stonelesscutter

I've skipped over most of the comments here so far for fear of spoilers. I've never read the books so for me it will be completely new and I'd like to keep it that way. :)
Can't wait till they release a Bluray boxset of the whole series.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've skipped over most of the comments here so far for fear of spoilers. I've never read the books so for me it will be completely new and I'd like to keep it that way. :)
Can't wait till they release a Bluray boxset of the whole series.
People have actually been behaving themselves, spoiler-wise.

That's one of the things I love about the folks on this board. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
SPOILER - SPOILER - SPOILER

This is the final Harry Potter film.....:biggrin:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm staying in line with my general oddness tonight.

Wearing blackout contacts to the movie. Not scleral lenses. Just the ones that cover the colored part of my eye.

S

Stonelesscutter

Have you seen it yet stone?

No I haven't, but y'all feel free to go ahead and talk about it. ;)
It'll probably be some time before I get around to seeing it.
Perhaps I better unsubscribe from this thread for the moment. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I love it!

I'm staying in line with my general oddness tonight.

Wearing blackout contacts to the movie. Not scleral lenses. Just the ones that cover the colored part of my eye.

Too cool! Always wanted to do that.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, I did think it was better than Pt1 but I did have some storyline issues with it, but I think they worked for the movie where they woudn't have worked as well in the book.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Just got in from seeing the midnight showing here in Los Angeles.

Bleeping awesome!

I have a friend who I will be taking to see it in the next few days. I'm sure she'll love it, too.

Short of the old serialized movies, this has got to be the longest movie series in history. Interesting to note that audiences have gotten larger with each new movie.

Laughter, tears, happiness...all that stuff -- and I can't wait to see it again with my friend. Go figure.

LadySciFi

GateFans Noob
I LOVED IT!!!!! I was blown away that it delivered and more. I, too, did not care for part 1, but this one was great!!!

I saw it at IMAX and in 3D. It was awsome. Yes, I could have enjoyed it on a regular screen, but it was fitting to see the last of it on the big screen.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Ok I enjoyed the first half of the movie a great deal
....loved the gringotts stuff, HBC as hermione being bellatrix was hilarious. But then they get to hogwarts and
I felt the movie missed being fantastic. Maybe this is because I read and loved the book. The ending chapters as written in the book were amazing.
In the movie I did not like the way Neville killed Nagani...what was that? I preferred the book- he did it in front of Voldemort and the deatheaters after they thought harry was killed. also did not like the fact they didn't show that harry's sacrifice protected the good guys...big miss there. I didn't like voldemort's death scene...no one knows he's dead do they?
thought the final scene with the Malfoys was fitting
but missed goyle in the room of requirement with the fiend fyre...but house arrest can muck these things up can't it?
but other than that the end just "missed" being perfect. snookie thought the pacing was off and I must agree (she's taken several classes on film)- I did it enjoy it for what it was- the final in the series, but it didn't live all the way up to my expectations. Although Alan Rickman (as Severus) delivered as always... he made me cry!
sad0049.gif
He was pitch perfect (again as always) in his role. I never get disappointed by Rickman in a role.
Honestly i wonder if I expected too much...I usually prefer the book over the movie (unless it's a tom clancy novel...his are too full of extra stuff that can be a bit dull) and that held true this time as well. It's a good movie, just not as wonderful as I hoped.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Rac80

Your second lot of spoilers is exactly what I didn't likein the movie. It undermined exactly what I was trying to get across earlier in the thread and as It was it 2 days after writing that stuff I saw the movie, it really grated on me :(