Harriet Tubman to replace Andrew Jackson on the 20$ bill

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
http://www.npr.org/2016/04/20/47501...tubman-will-replace-andrew-jackson-on-20-bill

tubman.jpg

Naturally, the "less than inclusive" American citizens are flabbergasted and angry at this. They do not want the slave owning, divisive and virulently supremacist Andrew Jackson removed from the bill because...just because.

Jackson is not being entirely dumped, he will appear on the reverse of the bill which will be redesigned as well. Many feel he should be removed from the bill altogether, given that a slave will be on the face and a slave owner will be on the reverse. I have mixed feelings about this. I would rather see only Presidents on the bills. Put Obama on there if you want to have diversity. When Hillary takes office, there is another opportunity. Or, put JFK or MLK on the bill.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't have a problem with it. The face of our currency has been a "good ol' white boys club" for too long now. And if they're gonna get rid of someone then Jackson is the logical choice as he is seen as being highly divisive, even today. He had a big hand in "the Trail of Tears" debacle. Native Americans hate him to this very day.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't have a problem with it. The face of our currency has been a "good ol' white boys club" for too long now. And if they're gonna get rid of someone then Jackson is the logical choice as he is seen as being highly divisive, even today. He had a big hand in "the Trail of Tears" debacle. Native Americans hate him to this very day.

He essentially WAS The Trail of Tears. Besides the Native Americans, he was involved in the deportation of slaves to the west African nation of Liberia, which was staked out and established (by force) by the United States in order to ship out the slaves. His written notes reveal him to be a virulent, sociopathic racist/supremacist of the worst type. On the level of a Hitler.

I don't have an issue with Harriet Tubman or diversity, but it does seem that our currency should have Presidents on it. And let's face it...US Presidents have always been white and male until Obama. There have been women on currency before, with the First Ladies. This is just another change I have to get used to. :) I have to snicker at the ironic fact that Harriet Tubman will now appear on the very same currency which would have BOUGHT her in her time. Imagine the seething anger from KKK members who have to pay for their cross burning wood with Tubman $20 bills! :smiley-laughing021:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Gotta love the fact that gun-toting black REPUBLICAN woman is replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20!!! I will add this to my susan B anthony and Sacajewa coin collection! :) THESE ARE WOMEN WHO EARNED THEIR FAME. ;)

http://www.youngcons.com/meme-shows...man-on-20-bill-is-great-news-for-republicans/

you know OM1 hamilton wasn't a pres and he is on our money.

You know Rac, there are still a whole lot of black Republicans out there who understand actual Republican politics. I doubt they are still in the GOP itself because it has become so racist, sexist and religious and backwards, but they are not Democrats. If Harriet Tubman were alive today, she would be a Democrat, not a Republican...or Independent. First ladies have appeared on currency before. :) I am glad they are removing images and monuments devoted to racist, sexist historical figures all over this nation, and replacing them with more honorable ones.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
after spending Tuesday working the polls in Indiana I can honestly tell you that those who choose to vote GOP are not nearly as monolithic as you think. you need to head to "flyover country" sometime. I passed out GOP ballots (it was a primary so yep you had two choices here GOP or dem) to a huge variety of people- not just one demographic. stop listening to libs babe and travel a bit! ;):tealcanime23: (funnily enough most of the dems were very young voters- they felt the bern! ;) )

Oh and btw - we had a 40% turnout for the Indiana primary compared to the average 16%. :D yaaay to hoosiers for voting!:daniel_new_anime021::daniel_new_anime021::daniel_new_anime021:

I have worked the polls on and off for over 25 years and that was the single busiest day ever- now I must reveal that my county has gone to voting centers - 12 centers scattered around the county- on election day and has nearly a month of early voting available (in various centers also scattered around the county AND at the county courthouse) and even though we have the dreaded (and SCOTUS upheld) voter ID laws- the turnout of voters have only increased from year to year. :tealc_newanime006:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
after spending Tuesday working the polls in Indiana I can honestly tell you that those who choose to vote GOP are not nearly as monolithic as you think. you need to head to "flyover country" sometime. I passed out GOP ballots (it was a primary so yep you had two choices here GOP or dem) to a huge variety of people- not just one demographic. stop listening to libs babe and travel a bit! ;):tealcanime23: (funnily enough most of the dems were very young voters- they felt the bern! ;) )

Oh and btw - we had a 40% turnout for the Indiana primary compared to the average 16%. :D yaaay to hoosiers for voting!:daniel_new_anime021::daniel_new_anime021::daniel_new_anime021:

I have worked the polls on and off for over 25 years and that was the single busiest day ever- now I must reveal that my county has gone to voting centers - 12 centers scattered around the county- on election day and has nearly a month of early voting available (in various centers also scattered around the county AND at the county courthouse) and even though we have the dreaded (and SCOTUS upheld) voter ID laws- the turnout of voters have only increased from year to year. :tealc_newanime006:

Okay, then who is LIKELY to win in November? Not who do you want to win, but who do you think WILL win? I just did a flyby of Brietbart and also The Blaze and what I am getting is that many conservatives (not evangelicals) will simply not vote for Trump because they find him repulsive. But that is another thread. :)

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I don't know who will win - depends on those who are willing to suck it up and vote for trump. 4 million GOP stayed home because they decided romney wasn't "their" man - so Obama won it. Romney won the independents nationally but could not turn out the base.

This time it's up for grabs- Yesterday I met many who voted GOP and remarked the last time they voted GOP was in 84 for Reagan - Trump is getting the "Reagan democrats" but will the conservatives and evangelicals learn their lesson? If not the GOP is truly done for . In indy he also had the advantage of a ton of layoffs due to various companies going overseas or to mexico (Carrier a just announced they are pulling out of Indy and moving 1400 jobs to mexico) those were good paying union jobs and the people are MAD. They see that NAFTA and other trade deals are great for the corporations but are screwing america's middle class. the libs & elite GOP are whining about Trump's America first slogan but shouldn't it be the american people first over profits? What is wrong with taxing the products carrier and other companies will ship back into the USA? we need to make it more expensive for them to leave. carrier builds industrial a/c units and their biggest market is here in the USA. That is what Bernie was preaching too. hillary will have to answer for the lobbying she did for NAFTA and her votes and support of other injurious to the people trade deals.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Okay, then who is LIKELY to win in November? Not who do you want to win, but who do you think WILL win? I just did a flyby of Brietbart and also The Blaze and what I am getting is that many conservatives (not evangelicals) will simply not vote for Trump because they find him repulsive. But that is another thread. :)

Some people will never vote using reason, just tribal instinct.