Guy went to sentinal island and gets killed

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
:smiley-money-mouth::smiley-money-mouth::smiley-money-mouth::smiley-money-mouth::smiley-money-mouth::smiley-money-mouth:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hate to be so crass, but that guy deserved it.

"John loved people, and he loved Jesus. He was willing to give his life to force upon share Jesus with the people on North Sentinel island," Staver said in a press release. "Ever since high school, John wanted to go to North Sentinel to share Jesus with this indigenous people."

:rolleye0014: And he got his wish (bolded). Why do religious zealots assume that anyone wants to sit back and have religion forced upon them from an outsider who has invaded their space? If I were one of those natives, I would see an invader from a foreign land, bringing foreign ideas which have no relevance or benefit to their society. I just can't feel sorry for him.

in the good old days he would already have been canonized

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
Creation = Earth and stars created in 6 days.

Evolution = A whole lot longer than that.

Both can't be right.

Six days is the metaphor! If that's not good enough for you maybe His 6 days are different from our 6 days just like 6 days on Mercury isn't like 6 days on Earth.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Why is there creation/ religion talk about the guy getting killed? was the guy even catholic? did he go there to teach them creationism?

just wondering

------------------

and yes, pope francis has taken a decidedly dubious middle ground on the issue :)

the catholic church will not fight evolution and they will not "push" creationism. catholics are taught that the bible is allegory and metaphorical not literal

i graduated from catholic high school in 1984 and we were taught evolution in biology and earth sciences classes

it is the fringe Christians like evangelicals ,etc, that absolutely believe the world is only 6000 yrs old. the catholic church never taught that the world was flat as church doctrine or that 'caveman' lived with dinosaurs. the catholic church is perfectly fine with the big bang theory and accepts that the universe is billions or more, yrs old.

Francis ( it is too early even for the pope to not use the word 'creation'), IMO, is leaning towards this old universe as being "shaped", not made, by some powerful being- God. on these GF's pages many of us have admitted that it would be the height of arrogance to say that there is absolutely no "higher power". no, imo, not 'god' but some force or perhaps far older race of beings

as they say, when science advances, religion/faith shrinks. mankind will never know everything, so blind faith will always exist in some form to some degree to explain the things still not understood.

in the case of Galileo, his 'trial' and execution is attributed to the Popes ego and not any anti science stance. Pope Urban was a Florentine and Galileo was from Pisa. Urbans' ego as a Florentine -not to mention Pope- alone would not allow him to have a Pisan 'school him' on anything. Florence had made Pisa a vassal by conquest about a century earlier. Urbans' stance to punish galileo as a heretic was purely a means to achieve a personal vendetta (galileo had also previously condemned a scientific work by a another man who was given permission to do research by Urban making him look bad) Galileo was guilty of not knowing when to shut up

a quote from Nature.com the website for the long standing scientific NATURE journal

"Few topics are as open to misunderstanding as the relationship between faith and reason. The ongoing clash of creationism with evolution obscures the fact that Christianity has actually had a far more positive role to play in the history of science than commonly believed. Indeed, many of the alleged examples of religion holding back scientific progress turn out to be bogus. For instance, the Church has never taught that the Earth is flat and, in the Middle Ages, no one thought so anyway. Popes haven’t tried to ban zero, human dissection or lightening rods, let alone excommunicate Halley’s Comet. No one, I am pleased to say, was ever burnt at the stake for scientific ideas. Yet, all these stories are still regularly trotted out as examples of clerical intransigence in the face of scientific progress.

Admittedly, Galileo was put on trial for claiming it is a fact that the Earth goes around the sun, rather than just a hypothesis as the Catholic Church demanded. Still, historians have found that even his trial was as much a case of papal egotism as scientific conservatism. It hardly deserves to overshadow all the support that the Church has given to scientific investigation over the centuries..."

from http://blogs.nature.com/soapboxscie...much-to-both-christianity-and-the-middle-ages

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Six days is the metaphor! If that's not good enough for you maybe His 6 days are different from our 6 days just like 6 days on Mercury isn't like 6 days on Earth.

But the Bible lays it out pretty clearly as EARTH days, going on to say that the purpose for stars is to predict seasons and such. Decidedly earthbound: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1:1-31&version=ESV

Beyond that, there are the magic fishes and bread, rising from the dead, talking snakes, etc. People believed that stuff because they did not know any better. Many still know no better. :)

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
But the Bible lays it out pretty clearly as EARTH days, going on to say that the purpose for stars is to predict seasons and such. Decidedly earthbound: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1:1-31&version=ESV

Beyond that, there are the magic fishes and bread, rising from the dead, talking snakes, etc. People believed that stuff because they did not know any better. Many still know no better. :)

Hate to disagree Overdone One but only way out there 5000 year old earthers still think the bible is literal. I'm a what I call a Vaticaner, I follow the Vatican's interpretation!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hate to disagree Overdone One but only way out there 5000 year old earthers still think the bible is literal. I'm a what I call a Vaticaner, I follow the Vatican's interpretation!

Okay...I won't argue it because as I said before, this site steers clear of religion and politics for the most part. BTW, if you ever find something offensive, please feel free to PM me and your concerns will be addressed. :)

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet
Okay...I won't argue it because as I said before, this site steers clear of religion and politics for the most part. BTW, if you ever find something offensive, please feel free to PM me and your concerns will be addressed. :)

Naw why would any of this be offensive? We all have different beliefs. This isn't the middle ages there won't be any crusades from me! :D

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Naw why would any of this be offensive? We all have different beliefs. This isn't the middle ages there won't be any crusades from me! :D

Nobody should be made to feel uncomfortable about their beliefs, and I am just letting you know that we are big on that here. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Apparently they haven't gotten this guy's body back yet. That's what they said on the news.

the indian govt said something like it would too intrusive to the islanders if they went to get it

i just think they're scared

i mean, they got nukes :)