Grr... can't believe PS3 Network is still down for 3 days now

heisenberg

Earl Grey
E.U countries that includes UK have one of the world's heaviest data protection laws, even more so than the U.S' and, if precautions weren't made Sony, I hope every country sues Sony for what its worth! It's just a pity that here in the UK, we don't have class action lawsuits, here we can only have one case to set a precedence for all other similar cases. So if one Brit is successful in suing Sony due to this, then everybody would be successful.

EU is a very strict regulatory body.However, I sometimes don't like what they do, like for example, suing Microsoft for billions of dollars for get this...only having Internet explorer as browser when installing windows! There was also the other time where they were sued for not being open enough please! :roll:. I wonder why EU hasn't targeted Apple for being monopolistic/not being Open enough in the mobile phone sector!

heisenberg

Earl Grey
*update*PSN credit card details were encrypted - Sony

Sony has released an official update on the PlayStation Network hack, the service's subsequent down time and the theft of users' personal data.

Writing on the PS Blog, the company confirmed that all customer credit card data was encrypted. It said it can't make assurances that credit card data hasn't been stolen but said "there is no evidence" at this time to show it was.

It added that all other personal information, "which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack".

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...credit-card-details-were-encrypted-says-sony/

Tropicana

Council Member
PSN Update

In light of the intrusion, Sony said it’s expediting the move of the system that houses the PlayStation Network to a new data center in a different location than its current place in San Diego, Calif.

When the system finally comes back online, PlayStation 3 owners will have to download new firmware in order to regain access, and will need to change their passwords either using e-mail or the same PlayStation 3 they used to activate their PSN account.

Sony has also initiated a “Welcome Back appreciation program” to try to win back gamers who have been disenfranchised from Sony through this mess. They plan to offer “selected PlayStation entertainment content for free download.” Sony said the freebies will vary by region, and will be announced soon.

PlayStation Plus, Sony’s premium-level subscription plan for PSN users, will be available to all with a 30-day free membership. Current PSN subscribers get a 30-day extension to their subscription. Qriocity subscribers see similar benefits.
Link: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gamificat...doing-to-fix-the-playstation-network-mess/359

It does appear that the PSN will be rolled out regionally sometime this week, though there are still no reports on which region gets it first, I could only hope that Europe gets it first... for obvious reasons.

In regards to the whole "Welcome Back Appreciation Program" it sounds so American, if not hauntingly creepy with thoughts of false promises of trifle and sandwiches, to only find yourself captured and lobotomised in some innocent outhouse in the middle of a bright green field and clear blue sky.

Will this appreciation program work? I don't know; many are probably content with being able to game online again, but with the level of trust and respect significantly lowered of course. It's nice to see some protocol changes like the required firmware update and mandatory password change. Sadly the damage has already been done and it will take months before the complete fallout even comes to the surface.

For further details about "Welcome Back Appreciation Programme" and something called, "Complimentary Offering" which I guess includes the likes of assistance of helping users enrol in Identity Theft Protection, click link: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011...-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/

Red Mage

Boney
Link: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gamificat...doing-to-fix-the-playstation-network-mess/359

It does appear that the PSN will be rolled out regionally sometime this week, though there are still no reports on which region gets it first, I could only hope that Europe gets it first... for obvious reasons.

In regards to the whole "Welcome Back Appreciation Program" it sounds so American, if not hauntingly creepy with thoughts of false promises of trifle and sandwiches, to only find yourself captured and lobotomised in some innocent outhouse in the middle of a bright green field and clear blue sky.

Will this appreciation program work? I don't know; many are probably content with being able to game online again, but with the level of trust and respect significantly lowered of course. It's nice to see some protocol changes like the required firmware update and mandatory password change. Sadly the damage has already been done and it will take months before the complete fallout even comes to the surface.

For further details about "Welcome Back Appreciation Programme" and something called, "Complimentary Offering" which I guess includes the likes of assistance of helping users enrol in Identity Theft Protection, click link: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011...-qriocity-services-to-be-available-this-week/

The "Welcome Back" program will probably just involve Sony offering a free download voucher for one of their older first party games on PSN like Loco Roco, Patapon, Daxter, Killzone: Liberation etc that they normally offer for $9.99 and maybe an additional voucher for one of select PSN minis. Wouldn't mind a free voucher for Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror for PSP myself.