Grow your own food/ home, yard and garden DIY stuff/fixing your own home issues

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I tried this! Yes, the taste is all there, but essentially it is the pie filling without the crust. Tastes excellent, but I found that I miss the crust broken up in there. :( Your version is lower carb though...I found it quite tasty. :)

its a lot faster as well

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
this is not something i do, and won't do.

I thought it was "neat" for awhile. a unique way of creating things.

Now, with the rendezvous here every year--and the hassles it brings with traffic,etc--it has gotten old

but, it is still fairly impressive what one can do with a chainsaw

the Ridgway Chainsaw Carver's Rendezvous is the largest NON COMPETITIVE event in the world where the participants are only allowed to use chainsaws (and adaptations to the saws) to create with

the proceeds of the auction go to local charities, and the ppl in town help give locals a boost in business

NOW BEFORE you say its all Duck Dynasty like--this form actually started in Scandinavia and grew worldwide from there. It also has quite a following in Southern CALI where hollywood types have both driven up awareness and the price of the stuff

Not to mention the hipster types that are making this into some kind of 'avant garde' social event every year
these clowns come from all around to come see the carvers and have driven up the prices of carvings (non auction pieces) up; we bought a bench 8 yrs ago for $300--today a similar one goes for thousands--ridiculous!

anyhow--vid from last year

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
this is not something i do, and won't do.

I thought it was "neat" for awhile. a unique way of creating things.

Now, with the rendezvous here every year--and the hassles it brings with traffic,etc--it has gotten old

but, it is still fairly impressive what one can do with a chainsaw

the Ridgway Chainsaw Carver's Rendezvous is the largest NON COMPETITIVE event in the world where the participants are only allowed to use chainsaws (and adaptations to the saws) to create with

the proceeds of the auction go to local charities, and the ppl in town help give locals a boost in business

NOW BEFORE you say its all Duck Dynasty like--this form actually started in Scandinavia and grew worldwide from there. It also has quite a following in Southern CALI where hollywood types have both driven up awareness and the price of the stuff

Not to mention the hipster types that are making this into some kind of 'avant garde' social event every year
these clowns come from all around to come see the carvers and have driven up the prices of carvings (non auction pieces) up; we bought a bench 8 yrs ago for $300--today a similar one goes for thousands--ridiculous!

anyhow--vid from last year

Hipsters you say? Duuuuude....you need to jump on that right away. You have ORGANIC EGGS. You have the chickens which lay the eggs, and you can show them to buyers of the eggs. Throw in some placards in the coops which tell something about each chicken, and then package half dozens of them in a unique way, give them a cool brand name (Yongjin's Eggs?), and BLAM. Instant hipster magnet. They will come from all around to buy truly organic eggs. Have a photo booth with a chicken, charge people to take a picture with the chicken that laid the eggs they bought (tell em that :)). Think Im kidding?
:moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars:

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Hipsters you say? Duuuuude....you need to jump on that right away. You have ORGANIC EGGS. You have the chickens which lay the eggs, and you can show them to buyers of the eggs. Throw in some placards in the coops which tell something about each chicken, and then package half donens of them in a unique way, give them a cool brand name (Yongjin's Eggs?), and BLAM. Instant hipster magnet. They will come from all around to buy truly organic eggs. Have a photo booth with a chicken, charge people to take a picture with the chicken that laid the eggs they bought (tell em that :)). Think Im kidding?
:moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars:

hey there is a PORTLANDIA ep that goes kind of that way with the whole chicken picture and everything....

we already have plenty of steadies, and i would rather our eggs stayed with the locals instead of priced out of their reach...

besides, we have a bit of a hicup right now--a few weeks back someone dumped a dog nearby (a regular occurrence) and it decided to play with the chickens. killed at least 14 of them

too bad we were not here--i could have put the semi auto .22 into action :tealc-gun02:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
hey there is a PORTLANDIA ep that goes kind of that way with the whole chicken picture and everything....

we already have plenty of steadies, and i would rather our eggs stayed with the locals instead of priced out of their reach...

besides, we have a bit of a hicup right now--a few weeks back someone dumped a dog nearby (a regular occurrence) and it decided to play with the chickens. killed at least 14 of them

too bad we were not here--i could have put the semi auto .22 into action :tealc-gun02:

Oh wow, that sucks. :moody:

It freaks me out that so many people dump their dogs out in rural areas. That's just plain crazy. People can be real a**holes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Pit Bull?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Oh wow, that sucks. :moody:

It freaks me out that so many people dump their dogs out in rural areas. That's just plain crazy. People can be real a**holes.

People in LA will dump them on the freeway during rush hour. Almost 100% of them are pit bulls.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
People in LA will dump them on the freeway during rush hour. Almost 100% of them are pit bulls.

That shit is just crazy to me. It doesn't happen around here that I know of. Why the f--- do people get dogs if they aren't prepared to care for them?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That shit is just crazy to me. It doesn't happen around here that I know of. Why the f--- do people get dogs if they aren't prepared to care for them?

People who have been caught have claimed the dog got aggressive while sitting in traffic and began growling or nipping at their owners in the car. Others are just found by police, laying down in the emergency lane next to the fast lane or carpool lanes. So many areas are banning them and renters who have them have to get rid of them.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Pit Bull?

doubt it, Pit Bulls are not big around here

was probably just some mutt like a retriever or Shepherd type

they mostly dump cats--a lot more tolerable

once i brought a really nice terrier type dog to the shelter that someone dumped in the middle of winter

the shelter wanted EVERY piece of info about me except my social sec number

i had to sign a statement saying the dog was not mine and i was strongly solicited for a "donation"

and they wonder why so few animals are brought to the shelter
-----------------------

people do this all the time--either next to the pole barn near our house or across the road or an empty lot down the road a ways

they think since we-and our neighbors--live out here and have our own animals that we will take care of theirs

they do it at the feed store i go to as well

even though the owners put up signs saying "if you dump your animal it will not be cared for and may be destroyed" they still dump them

they shot 3 dogs this year so far at the store (also a working mini farm/petting zoo)

our animal control enforcement in PA is a joke--in rural areas there is like one full time officer for a 6 county area. the state police handle most issues because of the non responsive animal control-therefore a lot of 9mm ammo is expended on "animal control" by the PSP

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
People who have been caught have claimed the dog got aggressive while sitting in traffic and began growling or nipping at their owners in the car. Others are just found by police, laying down in the emergency lane next to the fast lane or carpool lanes. So many areas are banning them and renters who have them have to get rid of them.

around here the main reason is that ppl get dogs an don't realize what it actually takes to care for them-especially the large breeds

once they see it costs more to feed these jumbo dogs then it does to feed their kids, the dog is a goner

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My critters are my room-mates. :) Right now they are chilled out in their spots. Its hot out here the last few days...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
around here the main reason is that ppl get dogs an don't realize what it actually takes to care for them-especially the large breeds

once they see it costs more to feed these jumbo dogs then it does to feed their kids, the dog is a goner

I have figured out my cost per cat at $20.00 in supplies, and perhaps 40 man-hours per month for all three cats. I find that very easy to do.:)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I have figured out my cost per cat at $20.00 in supplies, and perhaps 40 man-hours per month for all three cats. I find that very easy to do.:)

like i said it is the big dogs--they eat a lot of food at about $25 a bag for the crappy stuff and upwards of $50 for something that would be proper for them

couple bags of that a month and you could fund an IRA

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
like i said it is the big dogs--they eat a lot of food at about $25 a bag for the crappy stuff and upwards of $50 for something that would be proper for them

couple bags of that a month and you could fund an IRA

My cats get grain free food from Blue Buffalo, and the grain-free dry kibble stays out for them all day. One 5.5oz can ($1.59ea) gives them each a nice wet meal of 2oz each (Fisher gets 1.5oz), and there are three running pet fountains for them to drink fresh filtered water anytime. The litter is $6.50 for 20lbs of clumping litter and I go through two of those per month. They are all three happy and healthy. :)

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

After doing the hard calculations, I will revise that per cat figure to $25 per cat...still easy. :). They make it easy by going in their litterboxes, being clean and being (mostly) predictable.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
After doing the hard calculations, I will revise that per cat figure to $25 per cat...still easy. :). They make it easy by going in their litterboxes, being clean and being (mostly) predictable.

Plus if they don't work out you can always eat them. :D

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
My cats get grain free food from Blue Buffalo, and the grain-free dry kibble stays out for them all day. One 5.5oz can ($1.59ea) gives them each a nice wet meal of 2oz each (Fisher gets 1.5oz), and there are three running pet fountains for them to drink fresh filtered water anytime. The litter is $6.50 for 20lbs of clumping litter and I go through two of those per month. They are all three happy and healthy. :)

cats are by far cheaper to care for

they are only expensive IF ONE WANTS them to be--you know the kind of ppl I am talking about

our cats--all outdoors with a mission--(the ones i put pics of here) are also on a no grain diet (except for the occasional grass buds they nibble on)

their feed is also very cheap--a good "barn cat" type feed in the mornings and in winter

the rest of the time, it is free:

upload_2015-3-16_21-36-29.jpeg
upload_2015-3-16_21-36-53.jpeg
upload_2015-3-16_21-37-18.jpeg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
cats are by far cheaper to care for

they are only expensive IF ONE WANTS them to be--you know the kind of ppl I am talking about

our cats--all outdoors with a mission--(the ones i put pics of here) are also on a no grain diet (except for the occasional grass buds they nibble on)

their feed is also very cheap--a good "barn cat" type feed in the mornings and in winter

the rest of the time, it is free:

View attachment 30983 View attachment 30984 View attachment 30985

Initially, I had to buy the three cat trees (probably could have done with the tall Ikea pieces I have instead :)). I also bought the food dishes, and the 3 pet fountains and of course, their toys (they have about 50 different ones). I grow fresh cat grass for them and also fresh catnip. Outside of that initial purchase, it is just litter and food I have to buy. The seeds bought in bulk (6 packs of seeds) lasts a year, and the bag of high grade potting soil is about $15.00 and lasts a year. I also use that soil for my other plants. :)

But this thread is about growing your own and doing stuff at home and I am now fully confident I could grow some kale or lettuce or broccoli or even tomatoes...inside, easily.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm already thinking about this Summers container garden that I'll be doing. Herbs of course like basil and parsley but I might try a few tomato plants also. I've got a better spot for sun right up against the garage so I can probably go with more demanding plants like a few tomatoes. Maybe even some peppers.