Greer

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

http://www.airforcehollywood.af.mil/

That is the air force entertainment liaison office. Under recently supported projects SGU is listed 4th.

Maybe we should write them and tell them what a shit job they did.

Ah, OK, go through the FAQ section of this site. It is very enlightening. It looks to me that to get "official" support from the military there are a few hoops to jump through. You can ask for a lower level of assistance, this is from section 5 of the FAQ

Will the Air Force review my project to point out errors without my seeking official assistance?

The Air Force can provide courtesy assistance to your project. The main difference between full and courtesy assistance is that we cannot provide access to facilities, equipment or personnel for filming unless a project is approved for full support. With courtesy assistance, we will review your script and point out errors that you may or may not want to correct. We can also advise you on the correct types of equipment to use and the markings for them. If you would like, we may be able to visit the set to provide some assistance as well.

So the Official Air Force support is one of those "yeah, but" kind of things.

BTW this is what they have of SG-1 in the portfolio section

Stargate SG-1
- Script and wardrobe research
- Dialog assistance
- On-set technical advice
- Equipment and location filming at NORAD, Cheyenne Mountain, CO

No such entry for SGU.
So basically, SGU has courtesy assistance in the form of "suggestions" which they can chin off if they so wish?

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Therein lies the problem. SGU doesn't give a shit.

Well thankfully, we won't give a shit either when this dreck is canceled :D

Oh how i so wish the premiere of Season 2 gets below a million viewers... or even lower than the s1 finale :P would that be too much to ask? Is it inconceivable?

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

US Airforce gave some advice, and then said that they'd visit the studios to see if it was followed. Mallozzi Alerts the Canadian Mounties and the CIS that Canada is going to be invaded by the US Airforce. The contingent is then politely turned away at the border with parting gifts of Maple syrup, Raindeer Jerky and 5lbs of Canadian Bacon. Mallozzi Heaves a sigh of relief, and writes whatever the fuck he wants.. SGU is born..
:jm:

If the dick ever tries to enter the United States the fucker should be immediately taken into custody for crimes against the USAF, sci fi & the entertainment industry as a whole.

Taiko

GateFans Noob
If the ACTUAL military was a consultant for the show like they were for SG-1 and SGA, they would receive a credit. I have actually LOOKED for such credits and there arent any for the USAF, USMC or even a credit for "Military Adviser" anywhere.

A quick search for this bitch turned up this: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3782088/

She was the "military advisor" for Iron Man 1 and 2...notable for the fact that the same egregious flaws with military protocols were thrown to the wind then as well. At least Iron Man wasnt trying to be serious. SGA is supposed to be "realistic". Do they realize how many active duty and discharged soldiers (male and female) there are today? More than in many years past. And the few who are science fiction fans will have seen this show and its "military" people and said out loud: "WTF?"

Perhaps Ms MacDonald is the friend of a friend of a wife of an ex reserve military officer in the French Army of WW2? :roll:
Actually there are less as the WWII and Korea generations die off and the US Armed Forces finally downsized after the Berlin Wall fell. What is true is that for the first time since Vietnam many more have seen combat

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What about the current wars and Iraq?

Actually there are less as the WWII and Korea generations die off and the US Armed Forces finally downsized after the Berlin Wall fell. What is true is that for the first time since Vietnam many more have seen combat

Right now, there are more veterans of recent conflicts like Iraq, Afghanistan, The Gulf War, and the many deployed in other trouble spots. This number will increase until those wars are over.

Taiko

GateFans Noob
Right now, there are more veterans of recent conflicts like Iraq, Afghanistan, The Gulf War, and the many deployed in other trouble spots. This number will increase until those wars are over.
The overall number of veterans is smaller, the military was not enlarged after 9/11 reservist were merely activated and Guardsmen federalized. More soldiers may come home with a combat patch but less soldiers are coming home (veterans) then happened in the 1940 to 1990 time frame.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I didnt know that.

The overall number of veterans is smaller, the military was not enlarged after 9/11 reservist were merely activated and Guardsmen federalized. More soldiers may come home with a combat patch but less soldiers are coming home (veterans) then happened in the 1940 to 1990 time frame.

I didnt know that...

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
From the archive

Remember this one? Can't remember where it came from. US0?

GreerTherapy.jpg