Gravity....OMG DULL!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Space Station having been struck by a rogue satellite , bits just flew all over the place and both astronauts shrugged there shoulders and sucked back some vodka from tubes in there space suits and agreed today was a good day to die . The End

:) :) :)
:shep_lol::icon_rotflmao::smiley-laughing024:

Oh, and of course she is telling the story to herself whilst drunk floating around in space!

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Book format is different from movie format. One doesn't necessarily translate well into the other. Besides, Gravity was more of a visual film with that uhhh rise of man? analogy built into the movie (fetal position, crawling, then first steps). And you guys missed the most important aspect of the film which was the visual aspect and watching it in theaters. One of the better 3D Imax films I've watched with visuals that I could see being extended to other sci-fi flicks, namely Trek.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Book format is different from movie format. One doesn't necessarily translate well into the other. Besides, Gravity was more of a visual film with that uhhh rise of man? analogy built into the movie (fetal position, crawling, then first steps). And you guys missed the most important aspect of the film which was the visual aspect and watching it in theaters. One of the better 3D Imax films I've watched with visuals that I could see being extended to other sci-fi flicks, namely Trek.

Maybe that is how I have to accept movie making these days. Stop expecting great storytelling in movies and expecting plausible explanations for what I see in them. They are now purely visual vehicles, with some basic dialogue and basic characters, but nothing of substance. :moody: I do like the IMAX format, because that just cannot be done at home. IMAX 3D? I have not even experienced that yet. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have to agree that of all the Potter films I found Prisoner of Azbakan the most watchable by far. Yes it buried a fair number of subplots but that was necessary to give the story focus and let it actually fit in film format (if you want a BAD Potter film Deathly Hallows I and II stunk). I found this film engaging, well paced and developing the trio (Harry, Ron, Hermoine) well. I also loved Lupin in it. The only part that to me missed slightly was Hermoine's reaction to Harry successfully casting the Petronus charm - she should have been stunned as the Petronus was clearly identified in the movie as very advanced magic only really advanced wizards could do. In essence Harry was punching way above his weight when he used it. Instead she really didn't seem too fazed at all.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

sorry mzzz- visual alone doesn't work for me- i need a PLOT! ;) it reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey - all FX, no real storyline. (The book arthur c clark wrote of the movie gave it a coherent story. )

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
sorry mzzz- visual alone doesn't work for me- i need a PLOT! ;) it reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey - all FX, no real storyline. (The book arthur c clark wrote of the movie gave it a coherent story. )

Im with you on that! Visuals are not enough for me to sit and watch them when they have a stupid story attached to the visuals. The book 2001 was based on the movie, which is a major clue right there. I need more than visuals. And even if the visuals are not that great, a great story can make up for it. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh I dunno guys, I mean, if Sandra Bullock dies at the end of this movie it might actually be worth seeing. :daniel_new004:

roflbot.jpg

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Ehhh, some good movies don't really have plots and are more situational?, can't think of the word. Apollo 13 comes to mind as something like that.

Really? You didn't like 2001? It did have a story sort of, mysterious object shaped and instigated the development of intelligence of apes, then stuff. Then the pretty realistic depiction of space maneuvers, like how you have to dock with other satellites (you have to align to their rotation and just lots of automation involved). Another similar object found on the moon. Guided them to Jupiter or something. It's been a while since I've watched it. Hal was a great and iconic villain. Only bad thing was the psychedelic acid trip towards the end of the movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ehhh, some good movies don't really have plots and are more situational?, can't think of the word. Apollo 13 comes to mind as something like that.

Really? You didn't like 2001? It did have a story sort of, mysterious object shaped and instigated the development of intelligence of apes, then stuff. Then the pretty realistic depiction of space maneuvers, like how you have to dock with other satellites (you have to align to their rotation and just lots of automation involved). Another similar object found on the moon. Guided them to Jupiter or something. It's been a while since I've watched it. Hal was a great and iconic villain. Only bad thing was the psychedelic acid trip towards the end of the movie.

It had a story. It was saying that the planets, the solar systems and by inference, the Universe were all created by some intelligence. The Monolith was present at the dawn of time, and the one around Jupiter which ended up igniting it into a star was showing the world a "miracle" by lighting a second star in our solar system. But then, the message about leaving Europa alone which was broadcast again underscored the work of intelligence beings of some sort. In the book, Dave went into the Monolith and that was when he said "My God, it's full of stars!" Not in the movie though. I liked it a lot. :)