Google Glass could get you thrown out of a restaurant. I saw it with my own eyes today!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
No reason why someone could not sew a pair on !

:) :) :)

Yes! Genetically modified chickens with opposable thumbs that pluck and then roast themselves! I see the future and it tastes delicious!!!:smiley_joy:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Has anyone been removed from say a gay bar for wearing Google Glass? It would seem to me that there are still brothers on the down low who would not want to have their bar habits public knowledge.

I knew someone who got kicked out of a gay biker bar in Miami during the 1980s just for being straight.

It seems that Windows accepts 1980's but not 1980s, when 1980s is supposed to be correct.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Has anyone been removed from say a gay bar for wearing Google Glass? .

Hmm, I don't really know. Perhaps you could conduct the experiment yourself and report back to us? :daniel_new004:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Hmm, I don't really know. Perhaps you could conduct the experiment yourself and report back to us? :daniel_new004:

Well, I wear thick plastic glasses anyway, so I would have to get one with prescription lenses. I do not know if that is possible. I will look.

I would also want a wealthy person to purchase the Google Glass for me because they would probably be broken by the bouncer.

EDIT:

Prescription lenses are now available with Google Glass.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/28/tech/innovation/google-glass-lenses/

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well, I wear thick plastic glasses anyway, so I would have to get one with prescription lenses. I do not know if that is possible. I will look.

I would also want a wealthy person to purchase the Google Glasses for me because they would probably be broken by the bouncer.

Well just go to a gay bar and hookup with a rich "daddy" type, then have him buy you the Google Glass. Then just return to the gay bar at another time and conduct the experiment. Easy peasy. ;)

P.S. The gay community usually has a free clinic where you can get a torn anus stitched up easy as pie. You could also wear the Google Glass there as part of your experiment.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Has anyone been removed from say a gay bar for wearing Google Glass? It would seem to me that there are still brothers on the down low who would not want to have their bar habits public knowledge.

Don't sweat it, I think you'll be safe.

I knew someone who got kicked out of a gay biker bar in Miami during the 1980s just for being straight.

It seems that Windows accepts 1980's but not 1980s, when 1980s is supposed to be correct.

Seems to be all spell checks. Typing "1980's" is right if the context is correct (i.e. "It was 1980's turn to be the year of fun").

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Don't sweat it, I think you'll be safe.

Famous last words. Like proclaiming that one has the right-of-way at an intersection when a bank robber is barreling down the road at a right angle.

Seems to be all spell checks. Typing "1980's" is right if the context is correct (i.e. "It was 1980's turn to be the year of fun").

The sentence: "It was 1980's turn to be the year of fun" uses the apostrophe to indicate possession.

The sentence: "I love the 1980's." uses the apostrophe to indicate a plural number of years.

Google Chrome (running in Linux Mate) likes both.

Bluce Ree

Famous last words. Like proclaiming that one has the right-of-way at an intersection when a bank robber is barreling down the road at a right angle.

:icon_lol:

The sentence: "It was 1980's turn to be the year of fun" uses the apostrophe to indicate possession.

The sentence: "I love the 1980's." uses the apostrophe to indicate a plural number of years.

Google Chrome (running in Linux Mate) likes both.

They check spelling, not grammar. Try it in Word with grammar check active. It may still mess up, though.

Bluce Ree

I am not running a word processing program to prepare a Gatefans post. It is just simply not that important.

Geez, dude. It was to satisfy your curiosity, not prepare your posts for a forum. :icon_lol:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I am not running a word processing program to prepare a Gatefans post. It is just simply not that important.

I was under the impression you always brought your A game to this place. But with this type of attitude you'll never find a sugar daddy at a gay biker bar who will bankroll your Google Glass experiment.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was under the impression you always brought your A game to this place. But with this type of attitude you'll never find a sugar daddy at a gay biker bar who will bankroll your Google Glass experiment.

From what I can see, geeks are soooo over Google Glass. :) The friend I told you about who said he was going to get them, did get them and his wife wont let him wear them at home. Most of his buddies will not allow him to wear them in their homes (myself included). His kid (a boy) wants to take them to school but his school has banned them (amongst many others). His job will not allow him to wear them, and he is now trying to sell them. Just LOL! Im wondering why Google is so quiet about the FAILURE of this device? It has definitely failed. People are just not buying them anywhere near what Google had hoped. The device already has a stigma, and it seems like it is only a rarely seen hipster bauble now. I still see no practical use for them beyond what is available on a cellphone. Unless you want a Google overlay on your world, why get them?

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Google Glass has a HUGE stigma attached to it over privacy issues that it will never shake. Add that it really is not very useful and you have a failed product. Kind of like smartwatches where once you start to question what they are actually good for you lose all desire to have one.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You couldn’t have said it better...

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/failure-is-the-best-thing-that-could-happen-to-google-glass/

Excerpt:

Glass’ botched debut has created a brand stigma that may have already doomed the device.

Since its release, the slow rollout of Glass has been a disaster, though not of the kind typically associated with new gadgets. By all accounts, Glass works as promised, and it brings a remarkable new kind of technology into the world. In the case of Glass, the failure has been social. Fairly or not, Glass has become an emblem of tech douchery before even leaving its testing phase. From a branding perspective, the rise of a derogatory nickname — “Glasshole” — for your new product’s users is a nightmare.

That was in April. This was in November:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...o_walk_away_from_its_much_hyped_moonshot.html

The latest bad news for Google’s dreams of putting a computer on every face came on Friday, when Reuters reported that the company no longer plans to release its smart glasses to the public in 2014. At this point, it has no official timetable for a consumer launch.

Reception in the limited public sales were so negative that Google did not launch it this Christmas and may actually never launch it. I do not see any scenario, even in the future, where it would be acceptable to wear a device with audio and video capability connected to the internet 24/7. It is surveillance/invasion of privacy on the most intimate level. You can put tape over a webcam or unplug/cover a microphone, but not if they are being worn on somebody's face.

BIG FAT FAIL. Who else saw it coming?

About those smartwatches, Apple Watch is not exactly taking off. None of the smartwatches are. They are being purchased by early adopters and fitness types, but they are not in daily use applications. I do not see people wearing suits or at businesses wearing them. Why should I want one? Not being able to come up with a good answer to that question was the answer to itself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't be stupid Ape.
No one will ever work out the self pluck chicken, it's a biological impossibility. They don't have the opposable thumb for it.
Havent you heard? They are develping the GMO featherless chicken...no shit. :)

http://www.millennium3.info/2012/02/05/are-featherless-chickens-really-gmogenetically-engineered/

GMO-chicken-genetically-modified-organism.jpg

The "breeders" claim they are not GMO, but Nature would never create a featherless bird. Flightless? Sure. Featherless? Not a chance. If they appear, they are mutants.

Bluce Ree

From what I can see, geeks are soooo over Google Glass. :) The friend I told you about who said he was going to get them, did get them and his wife wont let him wear them at home. Most of his buddies will not allow him to wear them in their homes (myself included). His kid (a boy) wants to take them to school but his school has banned them (amongst many others). His job will not allow him to wear them, and he is now trying to sell them. Just LOL! Im wondering why Google is so quiet about the FAILURE of this device? It has definitely failed. People are just not buying them anywhere near what Google had hoped. The device already has a stigma, and it seems like it is only a rarely seen hipster bauble now. I still see no practical use for them beyond what is available on a cellphone. Unless you want a Google overlay on your world, why get them?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469916,00.asp

Rest in Peace, Google Glass: 2012-2014

Bluce Ree

You couldn’t have said it better...

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/failure-is-the-best-thing-that-could-happen-to-google-glass/

Excerpt:

That was in April. This was in November:

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...o_walk_away_from_its_much_hyped_moonshot.html

Reception in the limited public sales were so negative that Google did not launch it this Christmas and may actually never launch it. I do not see any scenario, even in the future, where it would be acceptable to wear a device with audio and video capability connected to the internet 24/7. It is surveillance/invasion of privacy on the most intimate level. You can put tape over a webcam or unplug/cover a microphone, but not if they are being worn on somebody's face.

BIG FAT FAIL. Who else saw it coming?

About those smartwatches, Apple Watch is not exactly taking off. None of the smartwatches are. They are being purchased by early adopters and fitness types, but they are not in daily use applications. I do not see people wearing suits or at businesses wearing them. Why should I want one? Not being able to come up with a good answer to that question was the answer to itself.
:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao: @ Glasshole!