Godzilla X Kong - The New Empire

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I saw it.

It's fun no doubt about it. You get big CGI monster fights and in a real way the monsters are also the characters in these movies now. Godzilla vs Kong was when the Monsterverse finally threw in the towel on trying to write cogent stories and characters and this is no exception. I actually compliment them on this decision because they never got how to write stories or characters in the context of Godzilla - to see how it should be done watch Godzilla Minus One and Shin Godzilla.

The main human character that crossed over from the last movie was Jia, who still serves as our link to Kong. Which leads me to - like Godzilla vs Kong this is actually a Kong movie. Godzilla is a side character again. And to be honest I didn't mind. The Monsterverse has succeeded in giving Kong a decently relatable character and it feels like they understand how to write him more than they do Godzilla, who they have for two films now portrayed as sort of a mean junkyard dog that may be cranky but is actually on your side.

I enjoyed it but then I also treat the Monstertverse as a totally separate reality to the REAL Godzilla world - the Toho films. By doing so I can enjoy it for the escapist fight movie it is.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Well I saw it.

It's fun no doubt about it. You get big CGI monster fights and in a real way the monsters are also the characters in these movies now. Godzilla vs Kong was when the Monsterverse finally threw in the towel on trying to write cogent stories and characters and this is no exception. I actually compliment them on this decision because they never got how to write stories or characters in the context of Godzilla - to see how it should be done watch Godzilla Minus One and Shin Godzilla.

The main human character that crossed over from the last movie was Jia, who still serves as our link to Kong. Which leads me to - like Godzilla vs Kong this is actually a Kong movie. Godzilla is a side character again. And to be honest I didn't mind. The Monsterverse has succeeded in giving Kong a decently relatable character and it feels like they understand how to write him more than they do Godzilla, who they have for two films now portrayed as sort of a mean junkyard dog that may be cranky but is actually on your side.

I enjoyed it but then I also treat the Monstertverse as a totally separate reality to the REAL Godzilla world - the Toho films. By doing so I can enjoy it for the escapist fight movie it is.
I have just acquired this. I will give it a watch!