Getting into Star Trek

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
So I haven't really seen a lot of Star Trek. For some reason over the years it's just been one of those things that's eluded my attention and I've never really decided to give it a fair shot.

Well know that's changed. A relative who passed owned a few Star Trek DVD's (the time travel fan collection and the first two movies). So far I've found the original series a little too old to get in too but I enjoyed TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise' and checked out 'Trials and tribble-ations' and 'Year of Hell' from DSN and VOG respectfully.

So far I can ascertain that I enjoy Deep Space Nine the most but I'm looking for a few more recommendations for episodes that could help draw me into the shows. Thanks :).

G

Graybrew1

So I haven't really seen a lot of Star Trek. For some reason over the years it's just been one of those things that's eluded my attention and I've never really decided to give it a fair shot.

Well know that's changed. A relative who passed owned a few Star Trek DVD's (the time travel fan collection and the first two movies). So far I've found the original series a little too old to get in too but I enjoyed TNG's 'Yesterday's Enterprise' and checked out 'Trials and tribble-ations' and 'Year of Hell' from DSN and VOG respectfully.

So far I can ascertain that I enjoy Deep Space Nine the most but I'm looking for a few more recommendations for episodes that could help draw me into the shows. Thanks :).

The most recent ST series was Enterprise. I personally think all ST is good, just depends on what you are in the mood for. DS9 is more politically motivated then the others for me.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

you've seen my fave TNG ep-- yesterday's enterprise! :) I am a trekkie from the beginning and my fave trek other than TOS is DS9. I am a huge sisko fan! If you ever get to see DS9's Far beyond the stars (on the Captain's log set) that is an incredible ep too. most of the trek is good, TNG had two choppy seasons and then was ok (not a huge fan of it here) DS9 was great all the way through. VOY ahd it['s moments-- year in hell was fabulous too! :D lucky you to get to see trek for the first time. :D

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Just watch Babylon 5 and Fringe and you'll be set, lol. But there are some real gems in Star Trek, of course I don't know em cause I've only watched Next Generation, DS9 and a bit of the original series. One that kinda stands out on the top of my head right now is the chess match episode in the original series where Kirk and some Romulan go head to head. Was pretty awesome.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The most recent ST series was Enterprise. I personally think all ST is good, just depends on what you are in the mood for. DS9 is more politically motivated then the others for me.

DS9 was waaaaay too much drama. It felt like I was watching "Days of Our Lives" on a space station.

G

Graybrew1

DS9 was waaaaay too much drama. It felt like I was watching "Days of Our Lives" on a space station.

It was not my favorite. In light of my now desparation for any SciFi , I have been planning it giving it another try. My favs in order were TNG,TOS, Voyager,Enterprise, and then DS9. Since the newest movie was so successful and the next one is guarenteed, I will be every vigilant for a new Star Trek TV show someday soon.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

Yeah, it was a bit much especially with the prophecy crap and attempt at religious mumbo jumbo. They dragged out the main story in there. I didn't like how little humour was present.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

I liked DS9. It was a good combo of "high and mighty" starfleet ideals and the more "Down to earth" aspect with characters like Odo and Quark.
Most importantly, It has "evil mirror universe" characters :D :D

Bluce Ree

I liked DS9. It was a good combo of "high and mighty" starfleet ideals and the more "Down to earth" aspect with characters like Odo and Quark.
Most importantly, It has "evil mirror universe" characters :D :D

For me, it started blehh, then got worse when it became all about relationships and babies and such then it got better around the last season. I liked the evil universe thing but I feel like they've beaten that horse past its death and are just xylophoning the bones.

I also found that whole Founders storyline interesting, I have to admit.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
For me, it started blehh, then got worse when it became all about relationships and babies and such then it got better around the last season. I liked the evil universe thing but I feel like they've beaten that horse past its death and are just xylophoning the bones.

I hate to admit this, but..........
The only way I really got into DS9 was by marathon watching S7. I was so impressed with it that I just wanted to know what got these characters to where they were now.
(And thus, do I leave myself wide open for a SGU comparison)

G

Graybrew1

I envy anyone who has never watched Star Trek, while the rest of us have very little Scifi to watch , they have 5 shows with over 25 seasons of ST to watch. Lucky You. :joy:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I envy anyone who has never watched Star Trek, while the rest of us have very little Scifi to watch , they have 5 shows with over 25 seasons of ST to watch. Lucky You. :joy:

I'm sure we can find you some good Scifi series you haven't seen before

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

I don't know man, I liked the founders way back at the beginning, but the more I got to know about them, the more I started to think how idiotic they are. They do all this and that but never check out the wormhole aliens or the stones. I mean they could have known about their fate and whatnot. They just got to be kinda silly arrogant fools to me. One thing I really did like was Nog?'s kid, dang I forget his name. Joined Starfleet and changed his way of thinking, it was great. He really changed and became a good character. There were some memorable cgi stuff in there too. That ship with sails was just fantastic, when the whole thing was unveiled, bit pointless I know, but it was pretty cool. Some of the battles were kinda awesome too.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

What are you watching currently? If you haven't, you should try fringe.

G

Graybrew1

I watched it until the AU. I watch all the SG and ST reruns I can find. And I am hopeful for B&C.

Bluce Ree

I don't know man, I liked the founders way back at the beginning, but the more I got to know about them, the more I started to think how idiotic they are. They do all this and that but never check out the wormhole aliens or the stones. I mean they could have known about their fate and whatnot. They just got to be kinda silly arrogant fools to me. One thing I really did like was Nog?'s kid, dang I forget his name. Joined Starfleet and changed his way of thinking, it was great. He really changed and became a good character. There were some memorable cgi stuff in there too. That ship with sails was just fantastic, when the whole thing was unveiled, bit pointless I know, but it was pretty cool. Some of the battles were kinda awesome too.

:icon_lol: His name was Nog. His father's name was Rom who was Quark's brother.

The CGI was well done and quite spectacular in some episodes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yoshi....old pal!

Yoshi! You are giving me a reason to like you now :smiley_squee:...(I didnt dislike you, I only questioned your taste :)). My holy scifi grail is Star Trek...that starts with TOS, all the movies, all the series (even Enterprise) and also the new reboot AND the cartoon (which was actually pretty good). I can totally understand why DS9 appeals to you more than the others, and for good reason: DS9 was the most dramatic of all the Trek series. The story, the locale, the premise...all still firmly in the Trek universe, yet was unlike any other Trek because it took place on a space station which was not built by the Federation, and featured aliens in the Trek universe which were only briefly mentioned in earlier Trek series. The Bajorans were first mentioned in TNG, as were the Cardassians. But the Dominion, the Gem Hadar and the Gamma Quadrant were new for DS9. The ships were familiar, and the characters were the center of the show rather than the ship or even its Captain, Ben Cisco.

I suggest watching DS9 "The Die Is Cast" and also "Tears Of The Prophets"...great stories and action and drama. There are lots of great TNG episodes to watch too. I love Trek even more than Stargate so please feel free to pick my mind on any of the Trek stuff. Im so glad you are getting into it!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Wow....Fringe Fringe Fringe.....I should give it whorl. I havent seen a single episode, but judging from the Fringe Binge thread here as well as what you guys say about it, I think its worth a look-see. Its really that good, huh?