Gemini Awards Canada

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Not. Bobby Carlyle wins best foreign actor, SGoo shut out in all other categories.

Here's the list lifted from somewhere:

Details of the nominations are as follows:
Best Dramatic Series – Brad Wright, Carl Binder, Robert Cooper, John Lenic, N. John Smith (Stargate Universe I Inc.)
Best Direction in a Dramatic Series – Andy Mikita, “Air Part 1"
Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role – Robert Carlyle, “Human”
Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role – Louis Ferreira, “Justice”

These are the Nov. 13 awards, the other 5 nominations bought them doodley squat. In other words 1 out of 9.
http://www.geminiawards.ca/gemini25/press/2010_Gemini_Awards_All_Categories_Wins.pdf
They lost out on all the other shit they're so famous for shakey cam, music montages, choppy editing etc..

So there you have it. I'll have a look around to see if Carlyle has a valid work permit for Canada.

BTW our favourite Goa'uld Neris (Maury Chakin, also in Lexx and Trailer Park Boys) was in the best comedy winner, Less than Kind.

The awards, which mean nothing to Canadians anyway, are over. Nothing much to worry about. I'll keep an eye out for sound bites. Carlyle has already said "Backstage he spoke about the dearth of opportunities in both film and drama in the U.K., and said he loves to work in Vancouver." Now that doesn't exactly code into, "I flew 10,000 miles so I could work with Mallozzi" does it?

One more thing. Speaking of Mozz, want to know the real reason he's not there? The devil is in the details (and the internet). SGPoo is organized upon a corporation called Stargate Universe I Inc. http://www.manta.com/ic/mt61hj5/ca/stargate-universe-productions-i-inc . There are five names associated with the company: Brad Wright, Carl Binder, Robert Cooper, John Lenic, N. John Smith. Do you notice someone missing?

park8

GateFans Noob
I tried to look at the winners on the Gemini website, and their light gray text on white background made it IMPOSSIBLE!!

So, to be clear (sorry if I am not understanding), SGU was nominated for multiple awards but only Carlyle actually won? Is that what you're saying?

ETA: Ok, I read your post again, one out of 9, that's what they won? One win out of nine total nominations? Also, I knew The Tudors would win, that was a great show.

park8

GateFans Noob
Yes, only Robert Carlyle won. And there's possibly other reasons behind it. IMHO, he's the only "Big name Recognition" actor among all the contenders. He probably got the award not because he's really good (even beating Ferreira, no surprise), but as an open invitation to other Name Recognition actors to come and work in Canada, just so they could say "look I even have an Award from Canada", and place that useles Ttchotchke on the shelf with the other "also Participated" merit badges.
icon_rotflmao.gif
sgusuckssign.gif
:laughing:

Thanks for the clarification! Carlyle won based on his past work, because he is a great actor. Unfortunately, he doesn't get to show it much on SGU. Standing around staring at consoles is not utilizing his acting skills, lol.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Yeah these things are all fixed. :rotflmao:

They have to give out an award so the marketers can call it "Stargate" and "Award winning". The only thing that really matters are those zero.ratings.

That Gemini site blows goats. The other awards were handed out Nov. 3 on the first round of parties. Like we say around here. SGU - Massive Fail.

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
Ah, so good news! No, not about Carlyle. 1 out of 9, that's ... uhm ... not really much.

No, Catherine Disher won! That's great. I love her so much in "The Border". One of the awards was given to the right person for me.

Have to spend some more looks over the results ...

P

phronsie

No, Catherine Disher won! That's great. I love her so much in "The Border". One of the awards was given to the right person for me.

Only ever seen her as Natalie Lambert in Forever Knight, which I loved. Based on your comment, tried to find some clips of her in The Border on youtube, but no luck. :(

PS. finally decided to use a tiny iota of my brain and figured out how the quote thing works.... <eyeroll>

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
Only ever seen her as Natalie Lambert in Forever Knight, which I loved. Based on your comment, tried to find some clips of her in The Border on youtube, but no luck. :(

PS. finally decided to use a tiny iota of my brain and figured out how the quote thing works.... <eyeroll>

Send you a direct link for watching the season3-finale online. LOL You will be surprised who is also in The Border remembering Forever Knight (awesome show! One of the best vampire-series ever).

P

phronsie

Send you a direct link for watching the season3-finale online. LOL You will be surprised who is also in The Border remembering Forever Knight (awesome show! One of the best vampire-series ever).

Thank ya; very kind! Just watched the first few minutes and it was pretty riveting!

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
Thank ya; very kind! Just watched the first few minutes and it was pretty riveting!

LOL You are welcome. Yes, TB is working in this way. I stumbled over this show a year ago and for now it is very high on my "must-watch"-list, right behind "Lie to Me". Likeable characters, great humour, interesting cases/adventures ... mh, sounds familiar.

EDIT:
You made me start a research. TB is already done now - unfortunately.

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
I thought he was good in that episode. Funny, he was mostly acting with Michael Shanks and the lady who played his wife, and by himself. Not with the series regulars. Michael Shanks had great things to say about Carlyle at the con. So, good for him, and I hope it helps him get more work after the axe drops!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I thought he was good in that episode. Funny, he was mostly acting with Michael Shanks and the lady who played his wife, and by himself. Not with the series regulars. Michael Shanks had great things to say about Carlyle at the con. So, good for him, and I hope it helps him get more work after the axe drops!
Everytime I see your nickname i think "and I bet chloe swallows...." ok rude and crude...but hey that is what I think ! :P

SGUBlows

GateFans Noob
Everytime I see your nickname i think "and I bet chloe swallows...." ok rude and crude...but hey that is what I think ! :P
Ha! That's great. I was in a hurry to create a nickname and couldn't think of anything... then after I chose this one, I realized it's almost the name of the site, and I felt like a tool. But if it makes you think of something funny, that's cool. :)

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I guess I'm in the minority on this but I really enjoy Rush and Young's characters. I hope they stay part of the Stargate franchise whatever happens; both could easily do some humour if they appeared on another SG show.

alien0

GateFans Noob
well i think that if they would make rush a genius who isn't a total dick,
... you know what, why not. i loved carlyle before sgu, i wasn't very happy to see what
character he plays but allright. he could be indeed a contribution to a sg-1 or sga movie.
i don't see carlyle in another sg show after sgu got caned

BUT.. we just have to make sure that sgu wasn't taking part in this universe which inhabits sg1/sga because it belongs to it's evil little mirroruniverse full of hate and incompetence. ^^

Nani

GateFans Noob
Not. Bobby Carlyle wins best foreign actor, SGoo shut out in all other categories.

Here's the list lifted from somewhere:

Details of the nominations are as follows:
Best Dramatic Series – Brad Wright, Carl Binder, Robert Cooper, John Lenic, N. John Smith (Stargate Universe I Inc.)
Best Direction in a Dramatic Series – Andy Mikita, “Air Part 1"
Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role – Robert Carlyle, “Human”
Best Performance by an Actor in a Continuing Leading Dramatic Role – Louis Ferreira, “Justice”

These are the Nov. 13 awards, the other 5 nominations bought them doodley squat. In other words 1 out of 9.
http://www.geminiawards.ca/gemini25/press/2010_Gemini_Awards_All_Categories_Wins.pdf
They lost out on all the other shit they're so famous for shakey cam, music montages, choppy editing etc..

So there you have it. I'll have a look around to see if Carlyle has a valid work permit for Canada.

BTW our favourite Goa'uld Neris (Maury Chakin, also in Lexx and Trailer Park Boys) was in the best comedy winner, Less than Kind.

The awards, which mean nothing to Canadians anyway, are over. Nothing much to worry about. I'll keep an eye out for sound bites. Carlyle has already said "Backstage he spoke about the dearth of opportunities in both film and drama in the U.K., and said he loves to work in Vancouver." Now that doesn't exactly code into, "I flew 10,000 miles so I could work with Mallozzi" does it?

One more thing. Speaking of Mozz, want to know the real reason he's not there? The devil is in the details (and the internet). SGPoo is organized upon a corporation called Stargate Universe I Inc. http://www.manta.com/ic/mt61hj5/ca/stargate-universe-productions-i-inc . There are five names associated with the company: Brad Wright, Carl Binder, Robert Cooper, John Lenic, N. John Smith. Do you notice someone missing?

One out of nine is still too many ;) And yes, apparently JoMo ain't even TPTB! LOL! What is his official title on SGU? Consultant? Does anyone know? :mallozzicry:

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Robert Carlyle is a great actor, so it's nice to see that he got the award. :)

One out of nine is still too many ;) And yes, apparently JoMo ain't even TPTB! LOL! What is his official title on SGU? Consultant? Does anyone know? :mallozzicry:

He and Paul Mullie were Consulting Producers in season 1, but in season 2 they were promoted to Excecutive Producers, just like BW & RCC.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Tracing the business end is a bit difficult unless someone wants to pay for a Dunn & Bradstreet. They have set up a company Stargate Universe Productions II Inc. for the second season but the listing is the same as one. Annual sales has been locked on me but it was set at over 500,000 with 5 employees. Would that mean these guys are splitting over 500K amongst themselves.

I guess Mozz is just the hired help at this point. In his defence he may have initially shied away from involvement. And as the awards went to the first company, Cooper was invited. Perhaps he's out and Mozz is in, but that's pure speculation.

Carlyle's a great character actor, it's just that everything about this Universe production, well, was ist das? SUCKS.

Nani

GateFans Noob
Robert Carlyle is a great actor, so it's nice to see that he got the award. :)

He and Paul Mullie were Consulting Producers in season 1, but in season 2 they were promoted to Excecutive Producers, just like BW & RCC.

Tracing the business end is a bit difficult unless someone wants to pay for a Dunn & Bradstreet. They have set up a company Stargate Universe Productions II Inc. for the second season but the listing is the same as one. Annual sales has been locked on me but it was set at over 500,000 with 5 employees. Would that mean these guys are splitting over 500K amongst themselves.

I guess Mozz is just the hired help at this point. In his defence he may have initially shied away from involvement. And as the awards went to the first company, Cooper was invited. Perhaps he's out and Mozz is in, but that's pure speculation.

Carlyle's a great character actor, it's just that everything about this Universe production, well, was ist das? SUCKS.

Thanks. That was my thinking, that JoMo got upgraded because RCC quit. He's still not part of Stargate Universe Productions Inc. ;)

I really liked Carlyle before SGU too. The problem is with Rush, not Carlyle. On the other hand, actors apparently go through a process to bring that character to life, so I would think that there's quite a bit of Carlyle's vision in Rush... *shrug* I was totally turned off by Rush's total insanity. The only two characters who I was remotely interested in were Young and T.J., but I with their affair and love child later on, I have a feeling I'd be quite dissapointed.

MetalFoldingChair

GateFans Noob
I'm ambivalent about Carlyle as an actor, but I don't think he could do much to "fix" the character of Rush. My theory is that they wrote Rush to be the SGU version of Gaius Baltar from BSG. The character of Baltar was written really well and the fact that he wasn't a cardboard villain but rather a human dealing with weird circumstances and a hell of a lot of guilt made him almost sympathetic at times. The problem with writing the character of Rush is that TPTB did it so heavy handedly that he became toneless and unsympathetic. I guess it's a moot point now because the show is dead for all intents and purposes.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I'm ambivalent about Carlyle as an actor, but I don't think he could do much to "fix" the character of Rush. My theory is that they wrote Rush to be the SGU version of Gaius Baltar from BSG. The character of Baltar was written really well and the fact that he wasn't a cardboard villain but rather a human dealing with weird circumstances and a hell of a lot of guilt made him almost sympathetic at times. The problem with writing the character of Rush is that TPTB did it so heavy handedly that he became toneless and unsympathetic. I guess it's a moot point now because the show is dead for all intents and purposes.
Because, as we all know, Stargate Galactica is what the fans REALLY wanted.

The guy who played Gaius Baltar (once again with the last names!) ended up playing the character humorously known as "Dr OldSpice" on Eureka.

I only knew that because a friend of mine watched BSG.