Gateworld tackles SGU's music

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
I'm sure you all have seen this article on Gateworld. It is about the style of music (and the songs) SGU uses. I posted my comment and opinion on it (my name is the same on both sites). Personally I do not like the music montages at all because that is what drama shows like House do. And it works for House, but I don't think it works for Stargate. I'd rather see some action or plot development. Those two minutes of music montages could be used to explore and learn more about the ship, which has barely been done on the show at all (after a whole season too!). Instead, we just watch the characters mope about. Plus, I can't stand the infamous MTV music video scene with Chloe in Divided. I rail into that on my comment. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/09/star-tunes-a-look-at-the-music-of-sgu/

Thoughts?

Oh, and do you like my new avatar?

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
I find that article very funny! Especially the following:

Music with lyrics has up to this point been scarce in the sci-fi genre, left to weekly dramas like Friday Night Lights or One Tree Hill.

That comment only strengthens the evidence that SGU is a soapy "drama." That said, I've seen about four episodes of the "soapy" Friday Night Lights, and I thought the characters were actually pretty interesting, and I quite enjoyed those episodes (although after four I'd had my fill of that genre for a while!). Friday Night Lights is a way better drama than SGU. And I wasn't distracted by the music in Friday Night Lights at all. But in SGU the music sticks out like a sore thumb!

Ron Moore’s re-imagined Battlestar Galactica took a stab at lyrical music with Bear McCreary’s version of “All Along the Watchtower” quite successfully.

And they are still trying to pretend they aren't copying BSG? Also, that example only shows again that BSG was quite successful at something SGU is failing at.

While this is yet another new step in trying to branch SGU out to a wider audience, bringing songs into the world of Stargate has come as a pleasant surprise.
:rotflmao: That is working sooooooo well. SGU has branched out to such a wider audience...

Good job guys for making comments to express how much the use of music sucks. :thoranime12: And the entire "message" of the lyrics stuff the article goes on about? That is so cheesy and lame. That kind of thing can work well in some cases, but you have to have competent writing and music choice - so that you get the exact right balance of music with the "message" you want to get across. Also, you can't expect the lyrics of the "background" music to tell the story you are failing to get across with the actual plot/acting/dialogue. That is a big failing with SGU, imo.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
I find that article very funny! Especially the following:

That comment only strengthens the evidence that SGU is a soapy "drama." That said, I've seen about four episodes of the "soapy" Friday Night Lights, and I thought the characters were actually pretty interesting, and I quite enjoyed those episodes (although after four I'd had my fill of that genre for a while!). Friday Night Lights is a way better drama than SGU. And I wasn't distracted by the music in Friday Night Lights at all. But in SGU the music sticks out like a sore thumb!

And they are still trying to pretend they aren't copying BSG? Also, that example only shows again that BSG was quite successful at something SGU is failing at.

:rotflmao: That is working sooooooo well. SGU has branched out to such a wider audience...

Good job guys for making comments to express how much the use of music sucks. :thoranime12: And the entire "message" of the lyrics stuff the article goes on about? That is so cheesy and lame. That kind of thing can work well in some cases, but you have to have competent writing and music choice - so that you get the exact right balance of music with the "message" you want to get across. Also, you can't expect the lyrics of the "background" music to tell the story you are failing to get across with the actual plot/acting/dialogue. That is a big failing with SGU, imo.
THEY DID NOT JUST FUCKING COMPARE THEMSELVES TO BSG'S MUSIC.

OMFG.

*HyperRage*

All along the Watchtower was MUCH more than just a little 'montage' they had. It had a fucking meaning IN the story! ARGH! If anyone needs me, i'll be in teh Angry dome!

hajwX5CNfqsk10iyCVUV8z8Bo1_250.gif

P.S. I'll be making the above an anti-SGU Avatar tomorrow :D
pencil.png

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
This article is hilarious as well as the comments on it!

@psw I know you’re entitled to your opinion, but I’ve seen you on several threads now, and would prefer to see a positive comment here and there, I personally don’t get where you are coming from, and it seems like you’re posting just to be negative.
:rotflmao:

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
I found it funny when they did the montage to the song 'Just Breathe' when only 40 minutes ago a man just suffocated to death, real appropriate guys.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It seems like the writers are only good at COPYING others.

I'm sure you all have seen this article on Gateworld. It is about the style of music (and the songs) SGU uses. I posted my comment and opinion on it (my name is the same on both sites). Personally I do not like the music montages at all because that is what drama shows like House do. And it works for House, but I don't think it works for Stargate. I'd rather see some action or plot development. Those two minutes of music montages could be used to explore and learn more about the ship, which has barely been done on the show at all (after a whole season too!). Instead, we just watch the characters mope about. Plus, I can't stand the infamous MTV music video scene with Chloe in Divided. I rail into that on my comment. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/09/star-tunes-a-look-at-the-music-of-sgu/

Thoughts?

Oh, and do you like my new avatar?

Stargate Universe should not EVER have music montages for any reason. Remember, its supposed to be all gritty and edgy :roll:. I could see something sorta like a montage when they were trekking across the desert in Air. Or perhaps even again on the artificial planet with the obelisk. Or maybe even with Destiny flying through hyperspace (to show off her design and details). But Chloe wandering down a hallway with blaring music and weird camera angles? And the episode STARTED with the montage. Dumb, not artistic, FAIL. :icon_e_geek:.

I just looked...no Chloe Armstrong Unappreciation thread?...hmmm...:icon_twisted:

But music montages in SGU just dont work because they just...dont. Its like having a music montage of a funeral or doing laundry. :P

deco

GateFans Noob
I didn't bother to answer him. Honestly I could also wright all the time:

@ ... (add name of extreme SGU fan) I know you’re entitled to your opinion, but I’ve seen you on several threads now, and would prefer to see a negative comment here and there, I personally don’t get where you are coming from, and it seems like you’re posting just to be positive.

151937.gif

Why should I lie? I think SGU is crap, so there isn't anything positive to write about in my opinion.

some ppl forget the name of this web site

agent509

GateFans Noob
ROFLMAO!!!!
While this is yet another new step in trying to branch SGU out to a wider audience, bringing songs into the world of Stargate has come as a pleasant surprise.
A pleasant surprise? They don't even know how to use the songs right.

Do they really think more people are going to watch the show because of it?
"Oh, look, this show has music in it! and even though they didn't use it correctly I'm gonna watch the show Durpdedurp"

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Damn you! Hahahahahaha. I sprayed my monitor a bit with coffee!

Lyrical Music Montages only belong in epic space operas like the Star Wars.. wait, you say there were NO lyirical music montages in Star Wars? So how come this street corner Organ grinder w/monkey show think it can shine with this teeth grinding crap they've selected upto now?

They used to call this also a show with music (Note Scott on the cracker Crate)
View attachment 876
sgusuckssign.gif

I just about sprayed a whole mouthful of coffee on my monitor when I saw that pic! :rotflmao:

And then suddenly hearing the music in my head and the moving image of that monkey holding out the cup. There's the ticket! Get a monkey and a minstrel to collect money for SGU season 3! Perhaps organize an entire army of panhandlers!

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Are these on volume 2 ?

Sex Machine - Scott
Flat bottom Girl - Chloe
Calling Occupants - the whole crew
A Harvest for the World - Eli
Shy Boy - Eli
I want to be Free - Greer
She Blinded Me With science - Rush/Chloe
Walls Came Tumbling Down - Scott/Chloe/Greer/Eli
I Like Driving In My Car - Unknown Passer By
Alone - Eli and/or James
Lay Lady Lay - Wray
Gangsters - The Lucian Alliance
Lip Up Fatty - Eli
Push It - Chloe/Scott/James
Don't Dream It's Over - James
Love + 1 - Chloe/Scott/James
Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting - The Cast
Dedicated Follower Of Fashion - Rush

Haha genius........... it's funny coz it's true!

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Syfy must've looked at Maestro John Williams work on Star Wars and Thought, Man, those guys sell Original Soundtrack CD's? let's put out our own CD.

So The Marketing Machine goes into overdrive and tries to Copy Star Wars Success
View attachment 881

SGU Version:
SGU_Music.png

ahahahahha, CD Vol 1 Contains:

bow-chicka-bow-wow - Title track (Instrumental)
Jailhouse Rock - Sung By Sgt. Greer
You're having my Baby - Sung By Col. Young
Crazy - Sung By Dr. Rush
This Lady is a Tramp - Sung By Chloe
Another one bites the dust - Sung By Col. Telford
Baby, Baby - Sung By Lt. Johansson
Do that to me one more time - Sung By Lt. James
I Want your Sex - Sung By Lt. Scott
The Final Countdown - Sung By Brody
Really loved a woman (Don Juan De Marco) - Sung By Eli
I want to break free - Sung By Camille
Shot in the Dark - Sung By Sgt. Riley
Bad to the Bone - Sung By Kiva
shep_lol.gif
sgusuckssign.gif

Are these on volume 2 ?

Sex Machine - Scott
Flat bottom Girl - Chloe
Calling Occupants - the whole crew
A Harvest for the World - Eli
Shy Boy - Eli
I want to be Free - Greer
She Blinded Me With science - Rush/Chloe
Walls Came Tumbling Down - Scott/Chloe/Greer/Eli
I Like Driving In My Car - Unknown Passer By
Alone - Eli and/or James
Lay Lady Lay - Wray
Gangsters - The Lucian Alliance
Lip Up Fatty - Eli
Push It - Chloe/Scott/James
Don't Dream It's Over - James
Love + 1 - Chloe/Scott/James
Everybody Was Kung Fu Fighting - The Cast
Dedicated Follower Of Fashion - Rush

You guys are too much! :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
sg-1 and atlantis had epic music and is realy hard to find that kind of match

For me its not wether a piece of music has words, its wether the music actualy enhances whats happening on screen. Sometimes the music can throw you out of the moment esp if the lyrics dont match the scene at all.

I never found that with sga I loved the quiter score on atlantis not overpowering. It does make a huge difference to the finished ep. I remember watching seach & rescue without the music (you know when) and it did realy take away from the episode i was a bit shocked how much different shows are without it.