Future of the Stargate Franchise

What do you think will be next for the franchise?

• TV Movie or Direct DVD SG-1 Movie Revolutions

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • TV Movie or Direct DVD Atlantis Movie Extinction

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • A Completely Re-Imagined Stargate TV Series (Alternate Universe)

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • A Completely Re-Imagined Stargate Movie (Alternate Universe)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New TV Series in current stargate universe (Not referring to SGU)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • New Movie with New Chracters in current stargate universe (Not referring to SGU)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sequel To the Original Stargate Movie

• SGU TV movie

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Nothing. Franchise is Dead.

• Other

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
What do you think is next for the franchise?

I voted for "A Completely Re-Imagined Stargate TV Series (Alternate Universe)."
I just think its too late to make the SG-1 movie and Atlantis movie. Hope I'm wrong.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
I think we'll see re-imagined Stargate tv series, but it won't be for about 10 years or so. There's also the possibility of Emmerich and Devlin finishing their SG movie trilogy, but I was never a huge fan of the movie anyway, so I don't know if I'll watch it.

Insomnium

GateFans Cadet
I voted "Other"

Because i'm not exactly sure.

There could be a hiatus for a certain period of time. Days? Months? Years? I dunno, but I really doubt this is the end of the road for Stargate.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I can see MGM trying desperately to find someone to replace TPTB as quickly as possible, possibly trying to rewrite existing SG1/SGA/SGU material into either a Direct to DVD movie or a mini-series of some description. A company with the financial woes of MGM would not hold onto a property unless it saw some monetary value in doing so, and neither would a reciever of the company either.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can see MGM trying desperately to find someone to replace TPTB as quickly as possible, possibly trying to rewrite existing SG1/SGA/SGU material into either a Direct to DVD movie or a mini-series of some description. A company with the financial woes of MGM would not hold onto a property unless it saw some monetary value in doing so, and neither would a reciever of the company either.

MGM needs someone to come in and pitch them their ideas for revamping the franchise CHEAPLY. If that person/people is/are good enough to sell MGM on the idea then there's a chance something might happen in the next year or two. I don't think MGM will jump thru hoops looking to find new producers for the property, rather they will probably just sell it outright if no one worthwhile appears on the scene. Then again, that could just be the rum talking, which is odd as I wasn't drinking rum, go figure.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
MGM needs someone to come in and pitch them their ideas for revamping the franchise CHEAPLY. If that person/people is/are good enough to sell MGM on the idea then there's a chance something might happen in the next year or two. I don't think MGM will jump thru hoops looking to find new producers for the property, rather they will probably just sell it outright if no one worthwhile appears on the scene. Then again, that could just be the rum talking, which is odd as I wasn't drinking rum, go figure.

I dunno mate, they were willing to sell off a massive amount of thier back catalogue to get them out of shit, but never seemed to want to lose Bond or Stargate. I mean, I have no "insider info" to speak of, but IF I were in charge I would be wanting to make money out of what I had access to as quickly as possible. Spyglass could keep the concept alive for the fans and work out a deal with E&D for the movie rights and then launch a massive comercially viable reboot in 4-7 years on the back of brand loyalty combined with new stories. It worked for Trek and I don't know why it couldn't work for Stargate.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I dunno mate, they were willing to sell off a massive amount of thier back catalogue to get them out of shit, but never seemed to want to lose Bond or Stargate. I mean, I have no "insider info" to speak of, but IF I were in charge I would be wanting to make money out of what I had access to as quickly as possible. Spyglass could keep the concept alive for the fans and work out a deal with E&D for the movie rights and then launch a massive comercially viable reboot in 4-7 years on the back of brand loyalty combined with new stories. It worked for Trek and I don't know why it couldn't work for Stargate.

Well, keeping in mind that none of us knows anything and this is all just speculation, I'd say my opinion was based on a monetary decision. It's always about the money -- and MGM needs money, so that was what I figured their motivating factor was/is.

Not trying to shit on your theory here but for me, I just don't see the E&D thing being viable -- at least not at this point. I mean, if "Batman" was redeemed after that horribly campy 1960's TV show then there could be hope for Stargate, so I'm not saying it's impossible, just not probable. I just don't know how more Stargate movies from E&D at this point would go over well as they would A.) be different than the series were and B.) the fan base might still be "affectionate" towards the series and might not respond as well to new movies that have different actors/stories, etc. It could work in a couple years after people have had time to forget and move on. Also, what guarantee that any movie E&D do would be distributed to theaters as a major release? The story might be stigmatized now as a TV show and who is going to want to bankroll that as a cinematic release? Something to think about.

I do think it would be interesting if they brought back Kurt Russel and James Spader and picked it up now, years later in the story, if that makes sense.

Tropicana

Council Member
MGM knows in their hearts that the BSG formula failed miserably and will not be keen to try it again. However their corporate goals have changed now, their goal now is to stop the debt and start turning profits, so I expect MGM to release more employees in an attempt to lower expenses.

I can see them diverting the funds reserved for Stargate and pouring them into movies like "The Hobbit" etc, then once they have made a suitable and a respectable profit, they will go back to Stargate portfolio. It will either be a revamp of the Stargate franchise to give it a fresh look (but risk sucking i.e. SGU) or a continuation in the style of SG-1/SGA.

Of course, if someone was able to go and do a good pitch for either a revamp or continuation, and they have secured their own investors - i.e. there is a proof of funds and all; happy days, MGM would be more than happy to pursue that, they get their brand name out, with no risk to their own capital investment and still get a fee from the pitcher.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
MGM knows in their hearts that the BSG formula failed miserably and will not be keen to try it again. However their corporate goals have changed now, their goal now is to stop the debt and start turning profits, so I expect MGM to release more employees in an attempt to lower expenses.

I can see them diverting the funds reserved for Stargate and pouring them into movies like "The Hobbit" etc, then once they have made a suitable and a respectable profit, they will go back to Stargate portfolio. It will either be a revamp of the Stargate franchise to give it a fresh look (but risk sucking i.e. SGU) or a continuation in the style of SG-1/SGA.

Of course, if someone was able to go and do a good pitch for either a revamp or continuation, and they have secured their own investors - i.e. there is a proof of funds and all; happy days, MGM would be more than happy to pursue that, they get their brand name out, with no risk to their own capital investment and still get a fee from the pitcher.
Warner Bros will have worldwide distribution rights to The Hobbit, while MGM gets international television rights.

Tropicana

Council Member
Warner Bros will have worldwide distribution rights to The Hobbit, while MGM gets international television rights.
Wow breaking news indeed!

So MGM are consolidating their expenses by doing JV and letting go of worldwide distribution rights, makes sense. A little googling indicates that MGM want to split 50/50 in costs for the next James Bond film with the release date being 2012.

The fact that they have to do any JVs says something.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I voted other!

i want JF to take over and do a sga miniseries. he had lined up the funding at one point, but MGM was still hoping sgpoo would make them some money. since that fell through, maybe the flan has a chance. ;)

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

i want JF to take over and do a sga miniseries. he had lined up the funding at one point, but MGM was still hoping sgpoo would make them some money. since that fell through, maybe the flan has a chance. ;)

If somebody pitched to the guys at MGM a prequel show Stargate: The Ancients then they would have to build Atlantis sets, puddle jumper sets, models etc & then they would have no excuse not to make an SGA movie/mini series as all of the sets would be there.

Lilith

GateFans Noob
SGA COULD JUST TAKE OVER THE sgu SETS AND SAY THAT THEY WENT TO RESCUE THEM EVEN THOUGH I DON'T KNOW WHY ANYONE ONE WOULD WANT TO RESCUE THESE WHINEY PEOPLE OR SPEND THE MONEY TO DO SO IN HOPES OF FINDING WHAT? THE PEOPLE CURRENTLY ON THE SHIP AREN'T SMART ENOUGH TO FIND THE BRIDGE MUCH LESS ANY NEW TECHNOLOGY.

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
After the *********** that was SGU they'll have to try awfully hard to put Humpy Dumpty back together again. I don't think they can do anything except a total reboot. The smart money wouldn't fund anything else.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
After the *********** that was SGU they'll have to try awfully hard to put Humpy Dumpty back together again. I don't think they can do anything except a total reboot. The smart money wouldn't fund anything else.

Yeah I tend to agree with you here. There might be a DVD movie made of something SG1 or SGA but I don't think it will lead to a new series or anything. It will simply be done to make a few bucks on the cheap. After that things will go quiet for awhile and then someone will probably do a reboot of some sort.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Well, keeping in mind that none of us knows anything and this is all just speculation, I'd say my opinion was based on a monetary decision. It's always about the money -- and MGM needs money, so that was what I figured their motivating factor was/is.

Not trying to shit on your theory here but for me, I just don't see the E&D thing being viable -- at least not at this point. I mean, if "Batman" was redeemed after that horribly campy 1960's TV show then there could be hope for Stargate, so I'm not saying it's impossible, just not probable. I just don't know how more Stargate movies from E&D at this point would go over well as they would A.) be different than the series were and B.) the fan base might still be "affectionate" towards the series and might not respond as well to new movies that have different actors/stories, etc. It could work in a couple years after people have had time to forget and move on. Also, what guarantee that any movie E&D do would be distributed to theaters as a major release? The story might be stigmatized now as a TV show and who is going to want to bankroll that as a cinematic release? Something to think about.

I do think it would be interesting if they brought back Kurt Russel and James Spader and picked it up now, years later in the story, if that makes sense.

I was more thinking along the lines of MGM buying out E&D's rights to theatrical productions of stargate as opposed to MGM working with them.
I just can't see MGM giving SG up so easily after obviously wanting to hold onto the property. You are right however that it's all about the money so if MGM feels it would be a waste.........

SG-Rocks

GateFans Noob
Yeah I tend to agree with you here. There might be a DVD movie made of something SG1 or SGA but I don't think it will lead to a new series or anything. It will simply be done to make a few bucks on the cheap. After that things will go quiet for awhile and then someone will probably do a reboot of some sort.

Unfortunately the most likely event will entail using the standing sets of SGPoo. :puke:

Even if no one wants to watch it. :icon_lol:

johnsheppard

GateFans Noob

If somebody pitched to the guys at MGM a prequel show Stargate: The Ancients then they would have to build Atlantis sets, puddle jumper sets, models etc & then they would have no excuse not to make an SGA movie/mini series as all of the sets would be there.

I think that they would need to revitalise interest in the franchise and could do so by making an Atlantis movie or mini series to see how the audience responds. If the interest is still there they could then move on to bigger and better things. There should be no problem getting interest for either of the above.
It's exactly what I hope and think.
In entertainement world sets are down and up again and again.So why not.
JF idea would be a pretty good idea cos he knows the series the spirit and he is popular among the fans as his character.In addition he has always shown his interest for the show or the franchise looking for funds.
Miniseries would be another pretty good idea to test fan desire and revive the series among them.
In addition I forget to mention MGM/Spyglas should fire the former producers and hire new ones and writers.
I must add Spyglass seem to be interested in TV productions so Stargate franchise can get its chances.
And as Shavedape wrote
I just don't know how more Stargate movies from E&D at this point would go over well as they would A.) be different than the series were and B.) the fan base might still be "affectionate" towards the series and might not respond as well to new movies that have different actors/stories, etc. It could work in a couple years after people have had time to forget and move on. Also, what guarantee that any movie E&D do would be distributed to theaters as a major release? The story might be stigmatized now as a TV show and who is going to want to bankroll that as a cinematic release? Something to think about.
SG is more TV show by now and viewers used to watch some actors and all the mytholgy built in the 2 previous series.
It will be hard to come back to R&D concept.
Sgu is become a failure cos TPTB changed too many codes and fans didn't recognize their loved show and what made its success on TV.

THX1138

GateFans Member

Yeah sure he has, like a snowball in hell. Sorry but some people need to take the fan glasses off.

JF has some serious strikes against him in the entertainment business.

• He has limited experience in entertainment and NONE in production or show running.
  • He bad mouthed his producers. It doesn't matter that some people consider what he said is correct because the act of saying it is totally unprofessional.
MGM under the guidance of their new co CEO's is all about minimising risk taking. They may let a newbie fork over funding but they will not relinquish control to someone with no experience.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Dramatic much?

Yeah sure he has, like a snowball in hell. Sorry but some people need to take the fan glasses off.

JF has some serious strikes against him in the entertainment business.

• He has limited experience in entertainment and NONE in production or show running.
  • He bad mouthed his producers. It doesn't matter that some people consider what he said is correct because the act of saying it is totally unprofessional.
MGM under the guidance of their new co CEO's is all about minimising risk taking. They may let a newbie fork over funding but they will not relinquish control to someone with no experience.

Couple things:

JF may not have experience in production and show running but there's nothing stopping him from teaming up with people who do. There are TONS of industry people out there who have experience in those areas and I'm sure JF knows plenty. Being approached by JF and a qualified team, if they have a good concept, is something MGM would probably welcome. The worst they could say is no. Your assumption that JF would be doing all the work solo shows you don't know what you're talking about.

As for JF's lack of professionalism regarding statements he's made, get real. It's 2011. There is no good ol' boys network anymore where Miss Manners keeps track of verbal transgressions uttered by actors at fan cons. Besides, a hell of a lot of people agree with the sentiments of JF towards BW and SGU, so many people wouldn't consider what he said to be unprofessional. The people who you think would take issue with JF's "lack of professionalism" have seen worse, much worse on "Jersey Shore" and no doubt within their own lives and they are immune to such slights. Your assertion that JF is now blackballed in the industry because he said something negative about the current PTB is laughable. No one gives a shit about what JF said, other than to agree with it. So no, he isn't tainted by anything he has said negatively towards BW or SGU.

Wurd