Former Fox president explains why Firefly had to be canceled

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Firefly fans (aka "Browncoats") have had it better than most fans of a brilliant-yet-canceled series: We got something like closure, thanks to the feature film Serenity (2005). The show is also rerunning on the Science Channel, with all-new commentary from scientist Michio Kaku.
But we Browncoats also have it tougher than most. With multiple references to our favorite spacefaring cowboys in star Nathan Fillion's current show, Castle, we're constantly reminded of what we've lost.
To that end, Gail Berman, the former president of entertainment at Fox Broadcasting Company, spoke about why she had to pull the plug. She said in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that:
"Canceling 'Firefly' was as difficult as anything I'd ever been involved in because Joss and I had been creative partners at one time ... I worked with him very closely on this particular show and when it didn't perform [in the ratings], having to cancel it was very difficult. "If I had to do it over again, I might have reconsidered it but I'm not sure it would have changed anything," she said. "It was a numbers things. It was a wonderful show and I loved it and I loved working with him on it but that was a big show, a very expensive show and it wasn't delivering the numbers."
The fact that Berman's quotes are still news is a sign that Firefly fandom hasn't lost steam since the show was canceled in December 2002 ... more than eight years ago.
So although it's tough to be a Firefly fan, with the re-airing of our show, as well as the Help Nathan Fillion Buy Firefly campaign that started three weeks ago, at least our lives are never boring.
What were the actual viewing numbers for firefly?

http://blastr.com/2011/03/former-fox-president-explains-why-firefly-had-to-be-canceled.php

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Wait...4.7 million viewers not enough? That's bullshit if you ask me...

The official word from a Fox spokesperson is that the series in on hiatus, which is usually network-speak for virtual death but keeps open the possiblity for a return to the schedule. However, sources close the production say the show has indeed been canceled.
Firefly, which chronicled the adventures of a band of space pirates aboard the ship Serenity, never took off. Set 500 years in the future, the series was part sci-fi fantasy, part old-fashioned Western and all dud--it averaged a measly 4.7 million viewers and ranked 98th in the Nielsen season-to-date ratings.
The original two-hour pilot, which never aired, will play December 20. All told, the network has aired 10 hours of the series. Three hour-long episodes remain unaired.

http://au.eonline.com/uberblog/b44314_fox_squashes_firefly.html

Illiterati

Council Member & Author

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
Like I said, I was not around, well I was around just not paying attention, when FireFly first day viewed. Had I not had my head stuck so far up Stargate...I'd probably have watched that show for sure.

But, I don't guess I would have made a difference.

If it did get 4.7 that sounds good to me, but maybe it was not in the "Magic Demo". Oh well, I still need to watch the movie. Going to try to get it from somewhere, wonder if Hulu has the movie too.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
They showed it out of order didn't they? There was little continuity and I would have watched it if I had seen some commercials for it or something. I only found out about this awesome show after it had been canceled from some friends. They can try to rationalize but they also dropped the ball and screwed it over from the beginning.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
They showed it out of order didn't they? There was little continuity and I would have watched it if I had seen some commercials for it or something. I only found out about this awesome show after it had been canceled from some friends. They can try to rationalize but they also dropped the ball and screwed it over from the beginning.
Yes, they did. Faux is particularly good at doing things like that.

S

Stonelesscutter

YOURE BACK! Welcome to GateFans!

I dunno. I'm just a bit curious about what's been going on since I last visited because of some emails I've just read.
Not making any promises, statements or whatever.
But I appreciate your sentiments.
Cheers dude. ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
I dunno. I'm just a bit curious about what's been going on since I last visited because of some emails I've just read.
Not making any promises, statements or whatever.
But I appreciate your sentiments.
Cheers dude. ;)
Hey dude! How's the weather down in Uganda?

Terran77

Captain Tightpants
Yes... they did show them out of order, and the day/time wasn't always consistent.

I honestly believe that if they'd shown them in order and gave it a stable slot it would've done better, numbers-wise. I have a really hard time buying the "official" reason.