Force feeding my cat - Dante's Last Days. Rest In Peace sweet kitty.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm really sorry to hear that. You have my sympathies. Just know that you did the right thing in the end. It was no doubt a hard decision but it prevented needless suffering to a loved one. That's what's important.

I've been through this with my dog when she got cancer. She was in agony and prolonging her life would have been selfish of me. I just couldn't stand to see her suffer. Letting her go was the right decision.

Once I realized what was going on, there was no other choice. Until that day, I never quite understood how any pet owner could put down their beloved pet. But now I completely get it. I was in that room waiting for the vet to come in there, and Dante was nervous from hearing other animals in there so I held him close. He relaxed and I was holding him and looking into his eyes when he was put to sleep and he went peacefully. It was much better than watching him suffer and him feeling the pain of dying by starvation and his organs shutting down. I even beat myself up for not seeing that he was dying when he stopped eating on Monday. It was not until the vet visit Friday morning that I accepted it.

The reality is that the fluid was building for YEARS and I failed to recognize it because I just did not know. All my pictures of him show an abnormally enlarged abdomen. He came to me that way. Monday started the end stage.

Last edited:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
When animals get older it's really hard to see, but you just have to decide what you think is best and also listen to your vet's suggestions as you did.

My thoughts go out to you, I know how painful it is to lose a furry friend.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I had noticed this thread a while ago and avoided reading it because I knew it would be hard. Now I've read it I feel heartbroken. My eyes are teared up. I'm sorry for your loss Overmind.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I had noticed this thread a while ago and avoided reading it because I knew it would be hard. Now I've read it I feel heartbroken. My eyes are teared up. I'm sorry for your loss Overmind.

Thank you very much. :) I loved Dante. I came to work the morning after taking him to the vet and dropping him back at home and hearing the bad news. I broke down at work and could not stop crying. They sent me home and were very understanding. My first experience with euthanasia. I grieved most of the 4th of July weekend, and so did my other cat Siete. he hid all of the next day after looking everywhere for Dante and not finding anything but a lingering smell where he used to sleep and eat. :( He is in a better place and no longer in pain.

Thank you very much for your condolences.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Thank you very much. :) I loved Dante. I came to work the morning after taking him to the vet and dropping him back at home and hearing the bad news. I broke down at work and could not stop crying. They sent me home and were very understanding. My first experience with euthanasia. I grieved most of the 4th of July weekend, and so did my other cat Siete. he hid all of the next day after looking everywhere for Dante and not finding anything but a lingering smell where he used to sleep and eat. :( He is in a better place and no longer in pain.

Thank you very much for your condolences.

:(

you never think that something like a pet can be so meaningful or its loss cause such grief until it happens and you realize you are nearly helpless to the effects

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:(

you never think that something like a pet can be so meaningful or its loss cause such grief until it happens and you realize you are nearly helpless to the effects

THIS. I consider myself a pretty strong guy emotionally. I also know I feel things very deeply, and I form strong bonds with my friends and with animals I frequently interact with. My first cat Felix was hit by a car right in front of me and I was completely unprepared and traumatized by that. It would be 30 more years before I decided to adopt these cats. This time, I was able to say goodbye to Dante, but I was unprepared for having to be the one who decide to euthanize him. But I know I had no choice. That realization was what broke me down. Even though I was at work, I started crying and I could not stop no matter how hard I tried. My awesome boss, a great guy with a family and pets himself, totally understood. I was standing there telling him how embarrassed I was standing there with torrents of tears streaming down my face and he completely understood.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
THIS. I consider myself a pretty strong guy emotionally. I also know I feel things very deeply, and I form strong bonds with my friends and with animals I frequently interact with. My first cat Felix was hit by a car right in front of me and I was completely unprepared and traumatized by that. It would be 30 more years before I decided to adopt these cats. This time, I was able to say goodbye to Dante, but I was unprepared for having to be the one who decide to euthanize him. But I know I had no choice. That realization was what broke me down. Even though I was at work, I started crying and I could not stop no matter how hard I tried. My awesome boss, a great guy with a family and pets himself, totally understood. I was standing there telling him how embarrassed I was standing there with torrents of tears streaming down my face and he completely understood.

and isn't amazing just how full circle your emotions can go with pets?

you should have seen me a few yrs back when a damned heron came off the river and ate all of my koi and goldfish!!!

i raised those koi from just 3-4 in things until some of them were near 18 inches!

one even grew into a so called "blue koi" where it did not have any blue on it until it got to about a foot

2 of the old goldfish had been in there since my daughters won them as little girls at the carnival--they were the first fish I put in the pond!

dogs--

when we moved here from NJ, I had no friends-cousins yes, but no friends had been made yet

i was 13 and my Mom knew a person who had a dog that had pups, they were a beagle and some other dog mix

i got two of them--called them zip and zap

trained them to stay in the yard, so they wouldn't stray off, andeverything was good for months

then one day they decided to wander off--one got killed by a car

about 2 weeks later the other went away--found him dead just a few feet away from where the other one died. seemed almost as if he was looking for his brother and probably could still smell him.

then i go to desert storm and see dead iraqi soldiers-- burned--some to the skeleton, others dead and blown apart and the worst part was seeing these "desert" dogs of all breeds, strays of Bedouins, out chewing on the bodies and dragging parts away

it did make me feel bad for the dead guys families--no soldier wants to be so lost that he can't be claimed and buried

anyhow--took me a very long time to be able to even pet a dog after that...now we're cool with each other :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm guilty too - I've gotten attached to the different dogs Ive had during my life and when they pass I do feel it.