For Those That Use MSN Messenger

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just found out about this today.
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/technology/windows-live-messenger-eclipsed-skype

I was setting up a new Skype account for my mom and they asked if she wanted to merge with her Facebook or MSN account. Then I was setting up a new MSN account for her and they asked if she wanted to merge with her Skype or Google or faccebook accounts. Google, Facebook, MSN and now Skype..... that is kinda big brother icky.

:) I guess you didnt know? Microsoft bought Skype last year. MSN is Microsoft's messenger program, but it will most likely bre re-branded and merged with Skype.

G

Graybrew1

:) I guess you didnt know? Microsoft bought Skype last year. MSN is Microsoft's messenger program, but it will most likely bre re-branded and merged with Skype.
The news is that is it no probably. It is happening in March 2013, except for China, they are exempt and will get to keep using both IMs.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Bah, they're all smartphone battery hogs. Push notification technology messengers are the only way to go.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Which is how Skype is being rewritten for Windows Phone 8.

G

Graybrew1

I have certain peeps that will only use certain programs. This stuff (IMs) have to make things so difficult?

S

Stonelesscutter

I say we get rid of all of those messengers and go back to ICQ.

G

Graybrew1

I checked that out and it looks like they are in bed with Facebook too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I checked that out and it looks like they are in bed with Facebook too.

Yes, as well as Google. I predict that Microsoft will buy Facebook.

S

Stonelesscutter

Yes, as well as Google. I predict that Microsoft will buy Facebook.

I hope they won't pay too much for it. Facebook is going down. You think they'd ever end up buying Google? Or would Google end up buying Microsoft? :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, Skype is getting push notifications in its mobile version. Also Hotmail was rebranded to Outlook.com and got a pretty big upgrade in capabilities in the bargain. Having used Hotmail, live.com and outlook.com I personally like that they are combining them all on Outlook.com - it is a pretty slick web based email.

All this stuff is actually overdue on MS part - they are going to places where they have multiple solutions in the same area (like live, Hotmail and outlook all being web based email) and consolidating them down to one.

S

Stonelesscutter

I doubt I will ever even want to consider thinking about thinking about taking a peek at whatever Microsoft has to offer in the area of webmail.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I hope they won't pay too much for it. Facebook is going down. You think they'd ever end up buying Google? Or would Google end up buying Microsoft? :)

Well, if I had to call my predictions for the future in the tech world, I would call it like this:

1. Microsoft will try to buy Facebook and will be successful. Within 5 years or less.
  2. The Surface tablet will outrun the iPad and will become the new standard bearer for tablets.
  3. Google will turn Android into a closed system like iOS, then raise prices on everything including developer fees.
  4. Microsoft will re-brand MSN Messenger and merge it with Skype.
  5. Skype will come pre-installed in Windows 9
  6. Google will become Microsoft's direct competitor

It would not serve Google's best interests to sell itself to Microsoft. Right now, Google Apps and business Gmail is becoming very entrenched on the enterprise level, rivaling MS Office.

S

Stonelesscutter

Well, if I had to call my predictions for the future in the tech world, I would call it like this:

1. Microsoft will try to buy Facebook and will be successful. Within 5 years or less.
  2. The Surface tablet will outrun the iPad and will become the new standard bearer for tablets.
  3. Google will turn Android into a closed system like iOS, then raise prices on everything including developer fees.

It would not serve Google's best interests to sell itself to Microsoft. Right now, Google Apps and business Gmail is becoming very entrenched on the enterprise level, rivaling MS Office.

Hmm... Not so sure about point 3. Google has been very big from the start on providing services without charge. I don't think they will abandon the philosophy that made them easily.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not bad on the predictions. One of them has already come to pass (MS folding their messenger into Skype). I likewise see an MS acquisition of Facebook - and when it comes off look for a lot of the irritating things about Facebook to be revised.

As to Google in the enterprise, I suspect that is industry dependent. In my area Google products as well as iOS are specifically classed as security risks and not permitted. We do use Office 365 because MS sets up enterprises in information sensitive industries with special "private" clouds so that they can use the products without violating federal law (in our case HIPAA). Likewise we are starting to move to Salesforce.com because they have demonstrated that their cloud setup meets and exceeds our information security standards.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I doubt I will ever even want to consider thinking about thinking about taking a peek at whatever Microsoft has to offer in the area of webmail.

Don't be hasty. Outlook.com is a pretty powerful webmail service. It has very good antispam and also lots of functionality that is presented in a nice and clean interface.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member

Google cannot turn Android into a closed system, ever. It's directly derived from Linux, which is GPL'd. Only proprietary components running in the OS can be closed but nothing attaching itself directly to the kernel code (including dynamically linked libraries) can ever become closed.