For Those Of You Who Like Starbucks...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not here they don't - they bake them on premises along with their muffins, croissants, biscuits and the like.

I've been in Los Angeles several times on business. Each time I hunted for a Dunkin Donuts and found none.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not here they don't - they bake them on premises along with their muffins, croissants, biscuits and the like.

I've been in Los Angeles several times on business. Each time I hunted for a Dunkin Donuts and found none.

You can easily find them using Google.

http://www.dunkindonuts.com/content/dunkindonuts/en/stores.html?a=90277

Have you actually investigated where Dunkin Donuts gets their donuts? I suggest you do. They arrive to each location frozen, and then are prepared in their final stages at the outlet. This is a corporate process, not one chosen by the individual outlets.

http://business.time.com/2013/06/26/dont-call-dunkin-donuts-a-donut-company/

Dunkin Donuts considers themselves a beverage company now, not a bakery. Krispy Kreme is a bakery. You can go into any of them and see and smell the donuts baking. Not in a Dunkin Donuts. You go there often, I gather...just ask them. :)

Dunkin’ Donuts shift away from donuts toward coffee, and lately, breakfast sandwiches, has been occurring for almost two decades, even when Fred the Baker was still employed. But only recently has Dunkin’ Donuts seemed comfortable saying that the product featured in its name is now a secondary menu item.

What is the location you frequent? I can call them myself and see.

More:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...chise-kings/pb2UmxauJrZv08wcBig6CO/story.html

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Um, check the map search you posted. It came up with no results. I had to expand it to 50 miles to get any, and then it was only 4.

Also, the article you linked does not say anything like what you are asserting but rather says what I said, that they really have moved past donuts as a main item. You can't go by a post in a comments section by an obvious troll as a factual statement.

The situation is more that the larger places bake all their own stuff on site and the smaller ones (like the kiosks and such) get theirs baked daily and depending on volume get one or more daily deliveries. In some locations those deliveries are actually from a larger Dunkin Donuts restaurant which gets paid to cook for them. In others there is a commissary style kitchen in play (this is where it helps that I have a past in the restaurant business and know a DD franchisee).

And nowadays donuts are a minority item that they cook up. They make more bagels, croissants, muffins, breads, biscuits and such than donuts. It wouldn't surprise me if in the new few years they don't quietly phase out the donuts altogether as it is not where they make their money really anymore.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Um, check the map search you posted. It came up with no results. I had to expand it to 50 miles to get any, and then it was only 4.

The search had 90277 zip code attached to the link. :) The closest Dunkin Donuts to me is less than 5 miles away from work. That would be the Santa Monica location. The Long Beach DD is about 7 miles away from where I live. The others are strategically located in areas with higher concentrations of middle class people.

Also, the article you linked does not say anything like what you are asserting but rather says what I said, that they really have moved past donuts as a main item. You can't go by a post in a comments section by an obvious troll as a factual statement.

I am far more direct than that. I can actually just CALL them directly and ask them myself. I dont know why more people dont do that instead of going by blog posts. Dunkin Donuts uses a centralized bakery and ships the donuts frozen to their locations. That was my contention for what I dont like about them. It would be different to me if they werent named Dunkin Donuts.

The situation is more that the larger places bake all their own stuff on site and the smaller ones (like the kiosks and such) get theirs baked daily and depending on volume get one or more daily deliveries. In some locations those deliveries are actually from a larger Dunkin Donuts restaurant which gets paid to cook for them. In others there is a commissary style kitchen in play (this is where it helps that I have a past in the restaurant business and know a DD franchisee).

That sorta makes sense, but from what I am reading, Dunkin Donuts wants to follow the Starbucks model and eliminate the bakery/cooking facility and reduce it to prep and storage...concentrating on the store and image.

And nowadays donuts are a minority item that they cook up. They make more bagels, croissants, muffins, breads, biscuits and such than donuts. It wouldn't surprise me if in the new few years they don't quietly phase out the donuts altogether as it is not where they make their money really anymore.

THAT is why they need to change their name.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Dunkin Donuts was here more than 15 years ago dude. :) From the article at your link:

The main thing I do not like about Dunkin Donuts is that they do not bake them on premises. They receive them frozen. Sure, I gave up donuts but even I know that the smallest, most humble neighborhood donut shops bake their donuts every day in Los Angeles. We also have Krispy Kreme. You cant have a lighted sign advertising frozen donuts and fresh coffee in CA. It was one of the reasons it did not become popular in 1996. Peets Coffee and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, and surprisingly, McDonalds are the premier coffee vendors in CA nowadays.

Frozen donuts? Are you sure you're talking about Dunkin Donuts? Every one I've been to makes their own donuts and bread products fresh. What they receive frozen are the raw materials.

Bluce Ree

The main thing I do not like about Dunkin Donuts is that they do not bake them on premises. They receive them frozen.

*sigh*

In the continuing tradition this site has of making unfounded assertions, I'll bite. Where did you pull that gem from?

Smaller stores have them delivered fresh, not frozen. The larger stores still make them on premises.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

Your answer seems to be trying to cover all the bases while still maintaining that OM1 is wrong (at least that's how I'm reading it). But I would submit that he's right. There's no way that DD actually makes their bakery on site. They may "finish off" their donuts and muffins and sandwich bread at each store but those items most assuredly arrive pre-made from the Sysco contractor that makes them with a private label. (Large factory that cranks out products to the specs provided by the client.)

I'm not sure what you mean by "a larger Dunkin Donuts restaurant which gets paid to cook for them". The industry standard for these types of restaurants is to contract a food supplier (like Sysco) to manufacture the menu items, in a factory, and then ship them to each store. These items are, at a minimum, par-baked, then frozen. This both allows for the simulation of baking within the store and also helps to keep inventory "fresh" on a daily basis. (This can also include dry mixes that are easy to prepare via simply adding water and stirring, etc.) And yes, the food supplier can sometimes be an "in house" operation, but it would still be a factory setting and not simply another DD store.

Also, I don't see any deep fryers at DD, which are needed to make donuts. (Admittedly I don't go into DD that often so I could be wrong but I highly doubt it.) The bottom line is we're talking a large national chain that has to maintain consistent standards across the board therefore they have to use mass produced menu items.

*Don't get me wrong, I don't hate DD, I'm just talking about the larger picture of these types of corporate restaurants. Some years ago I saw how Panera Bread "makes" their stuff and found it to be the most cynically obnoxious load of restaurant BS out there today. Sure their danishes look pretty but they lose something when you see the counter girl pulling them out of a corrugated cardboard shipping box. And then when you take a bite you realize 'Oh, this is the blandest, most soul-less piece of bakery I've ever had the misfortune of putting into my mouth!'

Years ago when I worked in a 4-star French restaurant where everything was made from scratch I discovered that we didn't bake our own bread. Nope, the baguettes arrived frozen in huge boxes. And the odd thing was we had a baker on staff, go figure.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
*sigh*

In the continuing tradition this site has of making unfounded assertions, I'll bite. Where did you pull that gem from?

Smaller stores have them delivered fresh, not frozen. The larger stores still make them on premises.

Define "make them on premises". :daniel_new004:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Frozen donuts? Are you sure you're talking about Dunkin Donuts? Every one I've been to makes their own donuts and bread products fresh. What they receive frozen are the raw materials.

You need to also define "raw materials". Just because they heat up some pre-made batter that isn't necessarily working with "raw materials". I mean, they aren't measuring and weighing out flour and raw eggs and butter and adding baking powder and salt, etc. The drones who work at the stores are simply assembling some pre-made items together and applying heat, that's it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

You sure about that? Yeah, frozen donuts...what is stopping you naysayers from simply investigating this? :) It isnt that hard, you know.

1 (877) 833-2633 Dunkin' Donuts, Customer service

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The deep fryers are in the back of the house. Why would you see them? The non kiosk stores typically have a layout that goes (front to back) seating area, counters, kitchen. Sometimes where they have drive throughs the layout deviates a bit.

And again they do not get frozen donuts. Even the ones that do not cook on premises get their goods fresh fried/baked each day. You can actually tell which ones they are by driving past them as you see the truck there early (4-5 am) in the morning and watch them unload. The ones with onsite fryers and stoves you see flour bags, eggs and the like. The ones without you see racks of thermally wrapped product going in - those are the daily cooked stuff.

Bluce Ree

You need to also define "raw materials". Just because they heat up some pre-made batter that isn't necessarily working with "raw materials". I mean, they aren't measuring and weighing out flour and raw eggs and butter and adding baking powder and salt, etc. The drones who work at the stores are simply assembling some pre-made items together and applying heat, that's it.

I agree with what you're saying that but the manual mixing and prep is only part of the end product. Whether it's prepared in the backroom or at a central facility doesn't change the fact the products reach the customer fresh if the raw product is delivered same day to the store for final cooking. The only difference is prep location. If they were frozen and stored prior to delivery it would change the texture. I've had Dunkin Donuts recently and I find their donuts to be light textured and fresh, no different than a similar pastry I've made at home.

I've also tried Krispy Kreme recently. Yes, it was fresh but holy f'k was that thing dense. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

The donuts are NOT baked on premises at any of these locations. They are sent unglazed and undressed, and the stores put on the glazes and sprinkles and such. Its like McDonalds sends their stores the patties, the frozen buns and such, and they are assembled and heated in the stores. What they think they are smelling baking is actually just heating them up. Even Subway bakes its bread on premesis, even if the dough is pre-made.
--- merged: Jan 6, 2015 at 11:01 AM ---
The deep fryers are in the back of the house. Why would you see them? The non kiosk stores typically have a layout that goes (front to back) seating area, counters, kitchen. Sometimes where they have drive throughs the layout deviates a bit.

And again they do not get frozen donuts. Even the ones that do not cook on premises get their goods fresh fried/baked each day. You can actually tell which ones they are by driving past them as you see the truck there early (4-5 am) in the morning and watch them unload. The ones with onsite fryers and stoves you see flour bags, eggs and the like. The ones without you see racks of thermally wrapped product going in - those are the daily cooked stuff.

Please tell me this exact location. I just called DD Customer Service and they directly contradict what you just posted. I will call them myself and find out EXACTLY what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluce Ree

You sure about that? Yeah, frozen donuts...what is stopping you naysayers from simply investigating this? :) It isnt that hard, you know.

Ok, here we go again. What's stopping you from supporting your assertion with some proof? And, please, don't whip out the "I have this secret private unpublished single copy in existence document nobody has ever seen that proves I'm right". :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I agree with what you're saying that but the manual mixing and prep is only part of the end product. Whether it's prepared in the backroom or at a central facility doesn't change the fact the products reach the customer fresh if the raw product is delivered same day to the store for final cooking. The only difference is prep location. If they were frozen and stored prior to delivery it would change the texture. I've had Dunkin Donuts recently and I find their donuts to be light textured and fresh, no different than a similar pastry I've made at home.

I've also tried Krispy Kreme recently. Yes, it was fresh but holy f'k was that thing dense. :icon_lol:

The donuts are fully baked then frozen. They dont get raw ingredients.
--- merged: Jan 6, 2015 at 11:05 AM ---
Ok, here we go again. What's stopping you from supporting your assertion with some proof? And, please, don't whip out the "I have this secret private unpublished single copy in existence document nobody has ever seen that proves I'm right". :icon_lol:

CALL THE NUMBER. :icon_rotflmao:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

You dirty, carb-eating whore. :moody:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

LMFAO!!! I just posted the public published telephone number to Dunkin Donuts Customer Service, and you still posted that??? :shep_lol:

1 (877) 833-2633

Bluce Ree

The donuts are NOT baked on premises at any of these locations.

*sigh*

Small shops receive them freshly delivered 1-2 times a day. Larger stores cook them on premises.

Here's a blog post from an ex-employee:

http://www.reddit.com/r/self/comments/14xnlp/i_work_at_a_dunkin_donuts_id_like_to_tell_you/

If you pull out any articles contradicting this, I will concede I'm wrong, although the donuts I tried recently were really, really fresh tasting. I won't argue myself into a deep, deep hole, ignoring mountains of indisputable facts presented to me while giving my rebuttal supported by secret documents of which I possess the only copies in existence. :icon_lol:
--- merged: Jan 6, 2015 at 11:12 AM ---
LMFAO!!! I just posted the public published telephone number to Dunkin Donuts Customer Service, and you still posted that??? :shep_lol:

1 (877) 833-2633

What's a phone number gonna do? You call, record your convo and post it up. Or, present me some fact-based article that shows you're right.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Actually the burden of proof is on the one making the claim. Provide proof they send frozen donuts to their stores.

As to number of DDs by state:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...ADO/story.html?p1=Article_Related_Box_Article

Current as of September 2014. It is THIS year that they plan to greatly expand their footprint in CA.

As to DD distribution, here is an example of a "mass bakery" that services 300 locations in a close radius. Note from the article that they supply DAILY and it is NOT frozen:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/arti.../inside-dunkin-donuts-biggest-doughnut-bakery

And here is an example of the other type - they do their own cooking of donuts and such on premises:

http://www.dunkin-donutsnj.com/index.html

It's like I said, some bake the stuff on site and others have a common site.