Firefly is a MUST SEE for any science fiction fan. There is nothing else like it.

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
i have a bit of a cowboy fetish so I loved the cowboy's in space idea! :D

oh hey i like westerns aswell like the good the bad the ugly, handfull of dollars, trinity, The Magnificent Seven etc but throwing into space just didnt do it for me :/

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually the future worlds as envisioned by Firefly are pretty logical and are extensions of current technology instead of making up fantasy tech. And the notion of a tightly governed core with more of a "Wild West" envirionment on the outer planets is reasonable as well. It's part of why I really like Firefly (in addition to the interesting and well crafted characters, well paced episodes and good plots).

Red Mage

Boney
I seem to remember "Cowboy Bebop" being floated as an idea for a movie a few years ago, but my memory on such things is admittedly a cross between "what I remember" and "what I would like to remember" :P

There were real rumors that there was planning for a live action Cowboy Bebop adaptation with Keanu Reaves as Spike. :puke:
I don't think the idea ever really took off similar to the Robotech reboot with Tobey Maguire. I do second Cowboy Bebop as worth watching. It's got a 9.3 rating on imdb for good reason.

I haven't really watched much Firefly besides for a stray episode on SciFi. I was completely lost to what was going on so it didn't leave much of an impression. I got the series and movie as a gift but I haven't gotten around to watch either.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
There were real rumors that there was planning for a live action Cowboy Bebop adaptation with Keanu Reaves as Spike. :puke:
I don't think the idea ever really took off similar to the Robotech reboot with Tobey Maguire. I do second Cowboy Bebop as worth watching. It's got a 9.3 rating on imdb for good reason.

I haven't really watched much Firefly besides for a stray episode on SciFi. I was completely lost to what was going on so it didn't leave much of an impression. I got the series and movie as a gift but I haven't gotten around to watch either.

NOOOOOOO!!!
I'm glad it never went anywhere if that were the case :P I could not "buy" KR as spike, he's just not "complex" enough as an actor. Not that I don't like KR, I liked him in "The Matrix", "Speed" and even Dracula, but none of those characters really had many "layers" to speak of. Spike is quite complex once you actually know his whole story (well, as much as you see).

As to Robotech, who was Toby slated to play?

B

Backstep

Give me Clint Eastwood in a poncho and hat anyday :) the mans a legend!

Clint Eastwood is a legend but can't hold a candle to Marion Morrison. Nathan Fillion charterer Mel reminds me of the onscreen presents of Marion.

Hyndara

GateFans Noob
I'm here with OMNI, couldn't enjoy "Serenity" and don't like "Firefly". Tried to watch a couple of episodes a while ago but it's simply not my cup of tea, sorry. I'm not such a great fan of wild west and (sorry to say that) don't like Nathan Fillion. I also stopped watching "Castle" because of him. Cannot exactly say why, only that there's something that makes me go away.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Joss was definitely inspired by Cowboy Bebop. I watched Firefly before the last season of Buffy, and Malcolm was a priest in that! He kicked ass too, that was so awesome.

Think Firefly had plenty of potential, sure they didn't introduce aliens, but that was definitely in the realm of possibility further down the line. Think he was drawing everyone in before he would go there. I mean Babylon 5, amazing writing, drew us in before fully introducing the shadow. Amazing buildup.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I think he was supposed to the lead but I don't think he was supposed to be Rick Hunter but a different character. I don't think the movie was planned to be a direct adaptation.

Hmm, Even though Transformers is just eye candy, I think the tech developed to do the "transforming" would work really well for robotech.
*sigh*
New threads to start to stop derailing :P

B

Backstep

I for one am enjoying watching Firefly back on TV and in HD

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I for one am enjoying watching Firefly back on TV and in HD

Firefly had me HOOKED! I have run Firefly marathons topping it off with Serenity, and it is always enjoyable. It went away too soon!

Copenhagen

GateFans Noob
I totally agree. I don't know much about the other shows you mentioned though,(Save Star Trek, who don't know about Star Trek?). I'll have to look those other shows up on hulu or something.

I watched Firefly on the Science Channel, the Pilot, Science Channel is running the old series. After I saw that one show I could not take anymore, I watched all the ones Hulu had. Very good show. I mean super awesome!

Did it only have one season? Cause that is all hulu has up, and I'm not sure they have them all up. I might check Best Buy to see if they have them. I was all excited about FireFly seeing it on the Science Channel, and then found out it was an old show that they were just re-running. Still I'm glad they did, cause I love it.

I can't imagine why a show that good did not last long. I mean I like that show almost as much as Stargate Atlantis, and that's saying a lot cause Stargate Atlantis is my favorite.

I really want to see that Conan movie that Jason Momoa is playing, Mean I bet he is going to be a beast in that.

PegDIG2004

GateFans Noob
I'm really excited about the Science Channel playing Firefly. I will always watch Firefly when any channel is playing it. I'm someone who came into it backwards. I saw the film first in the theater not even realizing there had been a series. I loved Serenity so much that I HAD to watch the series, which I also love! I admit being a bit confused by Serenity because I hadn't seen the series. But it was easy to catch up.
The thought occurred to me, The Science Channel is a possible new location for original Sci Fi programming. If they're interested in Sci Fi, which they seem to be, maybe they'll want to give us more to watch.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Firefly is well acted not just by Nathan Fillon. The other parts were played well also. But the real glue was it was well written and the setting was both imaginative and showed logical thinking.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Firefly is well acted not just by Nathan Fillon. The other parts were played well also. But the real glue was it was well written and the setting was both imaginative and showed logical thinking.

I'm tempted to do a Firefly marathon!