FINALLY: Netflix ORIGINAL CONTENT! This is the start of something great.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Oh, I have seen it on other people's devices. :) It totally sucks with the commercials! Its like old broadcast television all over again, only in your pocket. I aint havin it. :eusa_snooty:. Netflix is cool, but even cooler is streaming my own personal videos from my shared network library. :) My new LG tv has software which sees my network shares and I can access them via my remote control. Or, just switch to the computer and watch it in VLC or Media Center. :)

Netflix has the best model, but I fear they will have to change it to monetize it. It would be interesting to see how it does (beyond subscription fees).

Have you seen their revenues? The have cash to spare. They're going after the HBO, Showtime and Starz market with their original programming, not Hulu and broadcast TV.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
They actually care about what kind of shows get most watched on their site? Hmmm, that's interesting. Should gather up people to have on continuous stream angel, firefly, sg1, and stuff.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They actually care about what kind of shows get most watched on their site? Hmmm, that's interesting. Should gather up people to have on continuous stream angel, firefly, sg1, and stuff.

They wouldnt get fooled by that. Now, you can only stream to one device at a time per account. I think they would be most attracted to considering shows which would not require building lots of sets or established actors. I think Firefly would have been a great candidate.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, meant like persuade a bunch of different people to just stream on their computers most of the sci-fi content to make it seem like a lot of people are interested in it. Firefly would be hard to gather, Fillon's doing Castle which has been preventing him from doing major movies. I hope he joins the Justice League movie if it ever comes around, but he's getting a bit old.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Fillion is gonna be in the new Percy Jackson movie, so he must have some time on his hands at some point.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Ahh, Whedon doesn't really wanna go back to that universe I think and is too busy. I'd love to see another Firefly movie though, for sure.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They did it. It has officially started. Netflix is now offering original content to subscribers! It may not be my cup of tea, but the fact that it has been done means that Netflix has officially morphed from cyber video store to content provider. :joy:
I was pleasantly surprised to see this when I logged in:

View attachment 26781

Note, it says a Netflix Original Series. Since we know that Netflix is a no-advertising model, the money that paid for this series had to come from subscribers. I have not viewed the content, so it MIGHT have commercials in it, but I hope not. They have no commercials in their other stuff. If this series is indeed being paid by subscriber fees, might Netflix respond to demand of those subscribers in creating their new content? Methinks so. :). If this is what it seems to be, this could be a game changer. Not just view on demand, but PRODUCE on demand too? It could happen. A voting system perhaps? Maybe some sort of Netflix polling system, or they could simply aggregate their viewing data and analyze the most viewed shows/movies for guidelines. The possibilities are endless. This is new territory, not unlike the cablescape before it became saturated.

Does this excite anyone as much as it does me? :joy:

This thread was created three years ago. :) Now, we are routinely seeing new content being created (or produced by) Netflix. I cant be the only one here who saw this coming. Netflix has become the premiere on-demand internet media content provider. I am still not absolutely certain how they make money on their business model, but who can touch it?

• Commercial free. Like, no commercials AT ALL. Did I mention COMMERCIAL FREE?
  • CHEAP. $7.99 for single device streaming, $8.99 for two, and you can add more.
  • Easy to use interface. Works great from phones, tablets, PCs and smart TVs.
  • Decent streaming, with HD available. Great sound.
  • Decent content library consisting of many TV series and movies and great documentaries.
  • Content is updated regularly. Things are removed, others are added. Keeps things interesting.
And despite the existence of Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus and some of the cable streaming services, it has no competition. Hulu Plus has commercials. You cannot buy a Hulu plan without them. Amazon Prime does not have nearly as much watchable content, and too much of it is pay per view. The cable streaming services require a cable subscription at home.

Netflix is a pioneer. I will really be impressed if they do a proper scifi reboot or new show. :)

ecgordon

Star's Hero
One thing that Netflix is doing with its original programming that, so far, Amazon has not, is also releasing it on DVD and/or Blu-Ray, so that adds to their revenue stream. Plus, their shows are getting recognition for awards (House of Cards, Orange Is the New Black), so they are becoming a serious threat to the dominance of HBO in that arena.

Personally, I can't wait for Season 4 of Longmire.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This thread was created three years ago. :) Now, we are routinely seeing new content being created (or produced by) Netflix. I cant be the only one here who saw this coming. Netflix has become the premiere on-demand internet media content provider. I am still not absolutely certain how they make money on their business model, but who can touch it?

• Commercial free. Like, no commercials AT ALL. Did I mention COMMERCIAL FREE?
  • CHEAP. $7.99 for single device streaming, $8.99 for two, and you can add more.
  • Easy to use interface. Works great from phones, tablets, PCs and smart TVs.
  • Decent streaming, with HD available. Great sound.
  • Decent content library consisting of many TV series and movies and great documentaries.
  • Content is updated regularly. Things are removed, others are added. Keeps things interesting.
And despite the existence of Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus and some of the cable streaming services, it has no competition. Hulu Plus has commercials. You cannot buy a Hulu plan without them. Amazon Prime does not have nearly as much watchable content, and too much of it is pay per view. The cable streaming services require a cable subscription at home.

Netflix is a pioneer. I will really be impressed if they do a proper scifi reboot or new show. :)

it certaintly can't be adding much revenue, but they do some co-ops with actual networks for dual "broadcast". DUSK TILL DAWN THE SERIES is one example
it is on nf and airs on EL REY network

i believe el rey pays NF for production and of course EL REY adverts

also, the NF originals do have product placement in them-i am sure they are making something off of that as well-not much though compared to the big pic

and they just have a hell of a lot of subscribers- a lot of these originals are buzz worthy in the hipster and other social circles-ppl will join just to watch one show

NF also put a limit on how many ppl/devices can be signed in at a time using one id/password. we can never get more then our 2 rokus and both of our daughter's tablets into NF at once. that helps revenue as well by cutting the sharing

I hope they are making revenue and not just operating off of some huge warchest, because that can't last...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it certaintly can't be adding much revenue, but they do some co-ops with actual networks for dual "broadcast". DUSK TILL DAWN THE SERIES is one example
it is on nf and airs on EL REY network

i believe el rey pays NF for production and of course EL REY adverts

also, the NF originals do have product placement in them-i am sure they are making something off of that as well-not much though compared to the big pic

and they just have a hell of a lot of subscribers- a lot of these originals are buzz worthy in the hipster and other social circles-ppl will join just to watch one show

NF also put a limit on how many ppl/devices can be signed in at a time using one id/password. we can never get more then our 2 rokus and both of our daughter's tablets into NF at once. that helps revenue as well by cutting the sharing

I hope they are making revenue and not just operating off of some huge warchest, because that can't last...

I can see how the model works, and when you look at actual costs you can see that the biggest cost is paying licensing fees to the studios and production companies for displaying content. With their home brewed productions, they can do the same thing to the cable companies and other broadcast services.

If others could figure out how they are doing it, there would be competition.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I do know one thing, I just no longer have the tolerance for commercials which I once had not too long ago. They feel like what they are...an assault. When all of my media input came from sources like cable and television and broadcast radio, it seemed that commercials were just a (necessary) part of the landscape. But Netflix changed all that. The normal mode for me now is commercial free. So when I am suddenly bombarded with commercials at somebody elses place or on the monitors above the pumps at the gas stations, I see them (commercials) as just nagging beggars wanting my money. I get the reason why they need to advertise, I just do not like commercials.

When you go to the market, you have already decided to shop for goods. Hit me there after I come into the store if you want my money. But dont follow me around or stand in my path. Give me a good reason to pick your product over your competitor's product AFTER the decision has been made to buy the product in the first place.

Who should be encouraged to go out and buy dish soap when you are wondering if the aliens are gonna find out that their engine crystal has been stolen? Netflix takes all that away from my entertainment. I tune into Netflix to watch something to entertain me, and that is all they are offering. :) Love it. The moment they start adding commercials I am gone.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
NF original programming is not theirs...

ok, but there is no way anyone can say that these studios would have made these shows without having NF as the customer for them. I mean the sex and violence content in some of the stuff (MARCO POLO, SENSE8) might even make HBO execs cringe

and most of these shows would have never gotten greenlit if not for NF interest

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/11/8766869/netflix-shows

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
NF original programming is not theirs...

ok, but there is no way anyone can say that these studios would have made these shows without having NF as the customer for them. I mean the sex and violence content in some of the stuff (MARCO POLO, SENSE8) might even make HBO execs crin

and most of these shows would have never gotten greenlit if not for NF interest

http://www.vox.com/2015/6/11/8766869/netflix-shows

Its the advertising industry that ruins broadcast and cable and radio and film. Before Netflix, you had to go to them to get funding or you had to cater to them to get continued funding during season production. You had to endure product placement, and you had to spend money on marketing to draw people to the show/movie. Netflix has cut all of that out. That is what makes it special. That is what initially made people switch to cable in the 1970s (cause cable was commercial free). It meant no more dumb jingles, incessant commercials for dish soap, hair care products and frozen junk food products.

That lasted about 5 years. Today's cable is now IDENTICAL to what broadcast TV was, complete with tons of commercials for those very same products. The difference is that people are actually paying for it! LMAO. Ill never go back to being forced to watch commercials.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Its the advertising industry that ruins broadcast and cable and radio and film. Before Netflix, you had to go to them to get funding or you had to cater to them to get continued funding during season production. You had to endure product placement, and you had to spend money on marketing to draw people to the show/movie. Netflix has cut all of that out. That is what makes it special. That is what initially made people switch to cable in the 1970s (cause cable was commercial free). It meant no more dumb jingles, incessant commercials for dish soap, hair care products and frozen junk food products.

That lasted about 5 years. Today's cable is now IDENTICAL to what broadcast TV was, complete with tons of commercials for those very same products. The difference is that people are actually paying for it! LMAO. Ill never go back to being forced to watch commercials.

todays cable has programming that our commercials don't forget--my directv dial is full of them from about 1am till 5 am

there is only ONE reason we have any of this service--the Korean TV on directv (and no it is really not possible to get the same content from the web sites out there like VIKI and CRUNCHYROLL/DRAMFEVER there is only drama series content on them my wife is really into docu's / korean news and variety shows) if not for that-the dish would not be on our roof

---------------------

but what do you think about this specific issue? that is, if not for NF do you believe any of the originals on there would have ever been made by anyone else? PARTICULARLY in the form and with the content they have? I am thinking only ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK and maybe HOUSE OF CARDS (mostly because it is a copy of the BBC hit) may have gotten made

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
todays cable has programming that our commercials don't forget--my directv dial is full of them from about 1am till 5 am

there is only ONE reason we have any of this service--the Korean TV on directv (and no it is really not possible to get the same content from the web sites out there like VIKI and CRUNCHYROLL/DRAMFEVER there is only drama series content on them my wife is really into docu's / korean news and variety shows) if not for that-the dish would not be on our roof

---------------------

but what do you think about this specific issue? that is, if not for NF do you believe any of the originals on there would have ever been made by anyone else? PARTICULARLY in the form and with the content they have? I am thinking only ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK and maybe HOUSE OF CARDS (mostly because it is a copy of the BBC hit) may have gotten made

I will never forget that Netflix has what none of the cable or TV broadcasting companies have..."virgin" viewing metrics. Cable, TV and Satellite companies still need to stand in the waiting room at Neilsen for their old-school metrics reports so that they can scale advertising sales accordingly. Neilsen takes their cut, and the advertisers pay according to the Nielsen ratings and nothing else much.

Netflix does not need any stinkin Nielsen. It collects viewing metrics directly and it knows what is popular and what is not. It can see trending, length of viewing time per user, and even repeat viewership. Nielsen cannot even hope to compete, and the role Nielsen plays for everyone else is irrelevant at Netflix. Netflix has an entirely new opportunity to depose Neilsen for viewing metrics. They could sell the metrics and still not allow advertising.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
If anyone on the forum here has difficulty gettting to sleep or wake up during the night for a bathroom break and can't get back to sleep ? Well I have found the perfect cure for insomnia and sleep apnea . Just tune into netflix and start watching Unsealed Alien Files . I garantee you will asleep in five mins or less and wake up hrs later having not watched 4 to 5 episodes about who knows what because , well , I keep falling into a deep sleep.. What a wonderful program I think . Uh well I guess it is maybe , or something or uuuh getting sleepy ,,,,, were was I ? Right , just not watched another 4 or 5 eps about ummm , some files about something , yah . Thats it . There's these files and someone opened them and then , I don't known. I fell asleep again ...
Night night ....Aaaaaaaahhhhh yah , sleepy sleepy sleeeeeeepppppp ...
;) ;) ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
To me the Netflix content has almost universally been dull and soapy. I think the only one on there I actually liked overall was White Rabbit Project.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
To me the Netflix content has almost universally been dull and soapy. I think the only one on there I actually liked overall was White Rabbit Project.

Sense8 is my favorite NF "original".

My beef with Netflix is lack of watchable content. There is a whole lot of junk, and I canceled my Netflix more than a year ago.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

My beef with Netflix is lack of watchable content. There is a whole lot of junk, and I canceled my Netflix more than a year ago.

This!

Probably 90% of the content they have that they did not make themselves is now just dreck. It used to be you could get SG-1, SGA, BBC stuff et al. Not any more - it's all a big bunch of garbage from Pallywood and such.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

This!

Probably 90% of the content they have that they did not make themselves is now just dreck. It used to be you could get SG-1, SGA, BBC stuff et al. Not any more - it's all a big bunch of garbage from Pallywood and such.

it seems a lot of the BBC stuff has gone to amazon

but there is still a lot of british tv on NF, I guess it is non BBC(?)

They still have some decent sci fi/ sci fantasy stuff as well. there are a few shows from New Zealand and Australia

GLITCH is one- there will be a S2
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...tural-drama-could-be-the-next-stranger-things