Favourite Classical Music/Modern Classical Composers

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Okay the obvious one and please point out why you think they are really good.

Classical/Romantic/Baroque/Medieval

W.A Mozart - Created over 600 works an absolute genius all of them are fantastic!
Beethoven - Influenced by Mozart and created a lot of beautiful soulful pieces. Especially Flur Elise and Symphony # 1,5,6, and 9.
JS Bach - Love his Brandenburg Concertos they are so lovely!
Telemann - Known for writing the most ever compositions - Over 800 works If mozart hadn't died so early he would have most likely he would had over 1000 works.
Schubert - Loved his symphonies and piano sonatas as well.
Edwarg Grieg - Morning Beautiful piece.
Elgar - Nimrod
Haydn - Amazing Symphonies
Handel - Ariving Queen of Sheba stunning piece and his trumpet concertos

I love Medieval era classical music but I don't know any composers :P I also love music from other countries

Modern Day Contemporary Classical/New Age Classical/Film

Philip Glass
Hans Zimmer
Ludovico Einaudi
Howard Shore
John Williams
Holst
Stravinsky
Shostakovich
Copland
Brian Crain
Tchaikovsky​

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My favorite classical composer is JS Bach. Being a pianist, I found that the counterpoint and multi-part fugues and preludes in The Well Tempered Clavier were infinitely preferable to playing Hanon exercises and scales. I also love the Brandenberg Concertos, and I have several renditions of those by orchestra as well as trios and quartets. An interesting interpretation is by Wendy Carlos (used to be Walter Carlos) who did The Well Tempered Clavier using a synthesizer.

Some other favorites are:

Handel
Rachmaninoff
Mendelssohn
Chopin (Chopin had balls!)

And when Im in the mood, Wagner sometimes hits the spot. :)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
When it comes to classical it's Bach, no doubt about it. Chopin is pretty damn awesome too.

Modern, I have to say John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and Ludovico Einaudi. Also, I gotta mention Bear McCreary. He's probably one of the best tv composers we've got right now. I love his work on Battlestar, The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Caprica. He's doing a very good job with The Walking Dead and Eureka too, but I don't think it's as good as the first three.

G

Graybrew1

What about George Gershwin?

My favorite is "Rhapsody in Blue"

LadySciFi

GateFans Noob
I can't say...it would be like choosing a favorite child. Vivaldi, Chopin, Mozart...who can exclude Pachelbel? Beethoven's Ode to Joy is one of my favorites to sing to (I am a first Soprano), Handle's Messiah (difficult to sing, but you feel a sense of accomplishment when you finish one of his pieces). I could go on and on....Then you have the contemporaries like Gershwin with masterpieces like Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris and Cole Porters pieces.

Nope, for me it would be too difficult to pick a favorite.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
No one likes Jean Michel Jarre?? :(

Oh, and Welcome to the forums LadyScifi :)

:shepsalute::welcomewagon::welcomewagon: :welcomewagon::shepsalute:​

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I can't say...it would be like choosing a favorite child. Vivaldi, Chopin, Mozart...who can exclude Pachelbel? Beethoven's Ode to Joy is one of my favorites to sing to (I am a first Soprano), Handle's Messiah (difficult to sing, but you feel a sense of accomplishment when you finish one of his pieces). I could go on and on....Then you have the contemporaries like Gershwin with masterpieces like Rhapsody in Blue and An American in Paris and Cole Porters pieces.

Welcome to GateFans, LadySciFi! Wow...you came in here with a whip, should I worry? :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No one likes Jean Michel Jarre?? :(

Oh, and Welcome to the forums LadyScifi :)

:shepsalute::welcomewagon::welcomewagon: :welcomewagon::shepsalute:​

Love Jarre! There are so many contemporary jazz musicians who are on the same level with classical composers its very hard to choose a favorite for me.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Love Jarre! There are so many contemporary jazz musicians who are on the same level with classical composers its very hard to choose a favorite for me.

Jazz??

Tell me my friend, do you consider his work Jazz??
For me Jazz is more "jumped up Blues" (or blues is a progression of Jazz, I'm no music history buff) Of course this could just be a tangent, but I'm not sure.

Edit:
I had a link to some of his work before, here it is: http://www.gatefans.net/forums/showthread.php/1380-Instumental-Music?highlight=jarre
For some reason it is in FH, but there is no foul language at all :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Jazz??

Tell me my friend, do you consider his work Jazz??
For me Jazz is more "jumped up Blues" (or blues is a progression of Jazz, I'm no music history buff) Of course this could just be a tangent, but I'm not sure.

Edit:
I had a link to some of his work before, here it is: http://www.gatefans.net/forums/showthread.php/1380-Instumental-Music?highlight=jarre
For some reason it is in FH, but there is no foul language at all :(

I consider his work more "ambient/alternative" than Jazz. Blues and Jazz are two different genres that are sometimes combined, but Blues is an extension of slave songs, where as Jazz is a genre all to itself and is based in instrumental music. Blues can be done instrumentally, but Jazz encompasses a much wider variety. Its not always upbeat. Cool Jazz is a great example. Ellington, Oscar Petersen, Joe Sample, Grover Washington...the list goes on.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +

Honestly? Nobody should! ;) His "Canon in D" is one of my favorite classical pieces ever. If you don't know it you shouldn't miss it, preferably by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra (German Gramophone).

BTW, a big welcome from the gang at GF, LadySciFi.
Big welcome.gif

LadySciFi

GateFans Noob
Thank you for the huge welcome everyone!!!

As I get older, I find myself appreciating jazz more...much to my hubby's happiness!!!

Mr.A, I do not believe that I have heard it by the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra. I will make a pit stop to youtube and experience it.

Ahhh, the whip, yes, well, I am getting tired of carrying it around......perhaps a change is in the near future
:icon_e_wink: