Fallout the series - some thoughts

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I just got done watching the eight episodes of season one of the Fallout series on Amazon. This is based on the games but the story and most characters are original.

Overall it wasn't bad. Yes it has gory moments and yes some of the dialogue gets really sexual. But it does successfully capture the tone of the games. It is pretty dark and has grim survival drama aspects but the weird sort of humorous undertone from the games survives here.

Most of the acting is good. Ella Purnell handles the lead part well (and is not even close to a girl boss or Mary Sue). Aaron Moten also does a good turn as a recruit of the Brotherhood of Steel (a Fallout game faction). And stealing his scenes is Walton Goggins as an immortal mutant bounty hunter (another game element translated pretty well).

As to the woke question the answer is no. It is not woke. It also avoids the curse of presentism that kills so many shows and movies nowadays. It also is not perfect. The pacing is inconsistent with the opening episode feeling like a Guy Ritchie film and some later episodes move slower than necessary, with more flashbacks to before the war than to me were needed.

One other thing I should note - I think a major reason this adaptation works is that it concentrates on getting the look, tone and feel of the setting and its background elements right. Then it tells an original story with original characters in that setting and obeying all the rules of that setting. This inherently gives writers a lot more room to operate in while not breaking lore compatibility. This is also why (bit of a sidetrack) Halo is such a bad adaptation - they used characters from the games (like Master Chief) and got them completely wrong in addition to not accurately capturing the feel and look of the game setting.

All in all it is a positive sign that maybe, just maybe, we are starting to get decently written and performed entertainment again.

Last edited:

Shadow Mann

Staff member
1714769285421.png

This is a great review! I agree about them getting the game gore and visuals right. They have dispersed some very familiar easter eggs in the show and they have replicated the look of the Fallout world faithfully. They also managed to capture the mentalities of the different vault dwellers who have been unwitting subjects of experiments in their respective vaults.

Having said the above, they did slip in many areas as well. They showed the fallout cars in the first episode (which are fusion powered and do not look like any vehicles ever made in our history). They litter the post-nuclear landscape in Fallout and they did not maintain this in the series as faithfully. There were 1950s cars from our real history, and some 1950s imagery that perhaps one of the not-so-familiar-with-Fallout production crews did not realize might be a problem. Stiull, it wasn't a dealbreaker.

You also mentioned the good acting. Yes, the actors were well chosen and the cast is well balanced and diverse without being an agenda. The game is this way as well. The character Maximus has some integrity issues that seem redeemable. Lucy is going on a hero path that will toughen her and make her less naive. There are 122 vaults in Fallout, and we know where all but four of them are. There is a hint that there might be a few more highly secret and highly specialized vaults as well. This means that there is plenty of room to take this series into several seasons and also introduce new characters and locales.

As far as game adaptations go, this one if the best BY FAR (in my opinion). We get a live-action portrayal of the game universe (vs animated or CGI). This is very important because it brings the Fallout world to "real-life" and things that happen in the show feel more visceral. And yes, NO WOKENESS! You can't exactly slip it in anywhere either. There is no room for any of the agendas we have in real-life in the 21st century. It would be completely out of place.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The nice thing is that intimate knowledge of the games is not needed to understand the show.