Falling Skies Renewed For a Second Season

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It looks like the ragtag group of humans struggling to survive an alien invasion on TNT's Falling Skies are going to have a lot more of the nasty bug-like skitters to battle in their future. TNT has renewed the Steven Spielberg-produced series for a second season of 10 episodes, which will air next summer.

"Falling Skies is a true standout series, from its ambitious storytelling, high-profile cast and production team to its phenomenal success when it comes to international and time-shifted viewing," said executive vice president of TNT programming Michael Wright. "We're reaching new audiences with Falling Skies and look forward to seeing where this fascinating and exciting series takes us next."

http://blastr.com/2011/07/theres-more-falling-skies.php

I am getting a sense of deja Vu here.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes, this has all the telltale signs of a 2 year pre-committment like SGU got.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes, this has all the telltale signs of a 2 year pre-committment like SGU got.

Of course...and they love to claim "renewal" when its actually only "continuance". 10 episodes is only HALF a single season. Why would execs "renew" a show after only 3 episodes and unsure ratings trajectory?

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Of course...and they love to claim "renewal" when its actually only "continuance". 10 episodes is only HALF a single season. Why would execs "renew" a show after only 3 episodes and unsure ratings trajectory?
Steven Spielberg. This reminds me a lot of seaQuest DSV, which got a second season despite being pretty boring plot wise (although the cast was likable, unlike SGU).

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Steven Spielberg. This reminds me a lot of seaQuest DSV, which got a second season despite being pretty boring plot wise (although the cast was likable, unlike SGU).

That's what falling skies reminds me of..... Seaquest...without the environmental quackery! green for yoU!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yup, it's what OM1 and ChromeToasterX said, both the Spielberg effect and a faux "season". Doesn't really surprise me that it was continued (not "renewed") as the ratings aren't horrible and literally every single press release mentions Spielberg.

Personally I think the show sucks, but at least it isn't SGU. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's what falling skies reminds me of..... Seaquest...without the environmental quackery! green for yoU!

I wouldn't insult SeaQuest this way....

Enviro-quackery aside (and it was definitely guilty of it sometimes also there were other times where it showed the dark side of environmentalism and called it that), SeaQuest was a strange bird. The first season was actually not bad, and had some nice installments (like the one set in the Bermuda Triangle). Season Two veered off into goofy land and alienated a lot of the fanbase. But then it really found its footing in season three and delivered some really good military sci-fi. Unfortunately NBC pre-empted it to death (it constantly got pre-empted so that fans never knew if it was on or not), which damaged their relationship with Spielberg and also with Bob Ballard for a number of years to follow.

G

Graybrew1

I like Pope's character, that is the only reason I am still watching it, now that True Blood is back on.

S

Stonelesscutter

So you're another one of those women who fall for the bad-boy-type huh? ;)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I wouldn't insult SeaQuest this way....

Enviro-quackery aside (and it was definitely guilty of it sometimes also there were other times where it showed the dark side of environmentalism and called it that), SeaQuest was a strange bird. The first season was actually not bad, and had some nice installments (like the one set in the Bermuda Triangle). Season Two veered off into goofy land and alienated a lot of the fanbase. But then it really found its footing in season three and delivered some really good military sci-fi. Unfortunately NBC pre-empted it to death (it constantly got pre-empted so that fans never knew if it was on or not), which damaged their relationship with Spielberg and also with Bob Ballard for a number of years to follow.
Here's the picture of what happened to seaQuest that I have built over the years after going to numerous forums, reading stuff about seaQuest, and getting my hands on 2 of the 3 tie-in novels.

seaQuest was initially going to be about the reunification of a post-WWIII world and building a stable peace (this is based on the televised pilot, it's novel, and the second sQ novel) by having seaQuest going around stopping undersea pirates and doing other stuff. Then Spielberg came around and decided to make it more like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which caused one of the producers who was in favor of the post-WWIII stuff to quit. The pilot and novels retained these elements due to being the earliest productions (most early tie-in novels for shows are based off the show bibles instead of the shows themselves in order to get them on shelves in time to cash in on the show). Season one ends up being TNG underwater, with some elements of the original idea cropping up here and there, but never really meshing properly. The show is pretty light on action and NBC has the writers put in an episode where the crew meets legit aliens late in season 1 to spice things up. It does well enough to get renewed, but production moves to Florida because it's cheaper than filming in Malibu. Bob Ballard decides to stop doing his little end credits bits sometime between the end of season 1 and the beginning of season 2 because the show is moving away from legit science to the usual scifi nonscience. Spielberg is long gone at this point, off doing movie stuff and getting memos on cartoons he's producing (such as Tiny Toons and Animaniacs).

Season 2 starts off pretty well with Daggers, a story about genetically engineered super soldiers taking over the prison they are in, which has a good mix of action and plot. However, the writers have a mandate to make things more "scifi" or something, so they come up with ridiculous drivel that smacks of post-season 1 Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, with occasional good works like The Sincerest Form of Flattery (an episode where the seaQuest crew has to face off with an AI sub controlled by an old copy of their captain's mind) and Daggers Redux (where the ring leader of the Dagger prison revolt is given a sub to sink seaQuest). The worst part of season 2 is that there's an arc revolving around more aliens, which leads to the season finale where seaQuest is apparently sunk. Roy Scheider, who plays the captain, decides to quit when the show is renewed because of how terrible the writing is and NBC fires a few cast members in order to make the show cheaper, along with getting an entirely new theme to save money on that too.

Michael Ironside comes along and manages to leverage himself into a producer position, then suggests the bleeding obvious, having a military based arc for a show set on a submarine. They set season 3 ten years after the end of season 2 and back on Earth, where things devolved into a cold war after seaQuest disappeared. The writers put out some decent mil scifi, with the occasional stumbles (such as an episode where seaQuest travels back in time to the Cuban Missile Crisis), but NBC decides to preempt them constantly and cancels them after the 13th episode is produced and a new antagonist is introduced in said episode.

And sadly, the seaQuest DSV concept has been left to rot for nearly 20 years, while tons of other stuff have gotten remakes and reboots. All this because Steven Spielberg dropped an idea that had no long term viability and was probably implemented solely because none of the writers and producers had the balls to say it was dumb.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
He is the best written character on the show IMO and the best actor too. ;)
Naturally. :P

Wonder what production costs are for a show like this. Spielberg did another cartoon show about aliens taking over some time back, forget what it was called, I think Invasion? I used to watch cause it came on before Batman Beyond, lol. I don't think he's cut out for longer storytelling.

Wish they'd add some kind of direction to the show that people can get behind instead of just survival, something intriguing like some humans in power have been giving intel to the aliens before the invasion and are now in positions of power among the remaining human populations but are still working for the aliens to some degrees. Or the aliens have resorted to such brutal planetary takeovers because there's a bigger fish chasing them, a stronger alien race causing them to flee across the galaxy. And the humans find out and persuade their current invaders to make a stand and fight with them. Or something.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Here's the picture of what happened to seaQuest that I have built over the years after going to numerous forums, reading stuff about seaQuest, and getting my hands on 2 of the 3 tie-in novels.

seaQuest was initially going to be about the reunification of a post-WWIII world and building a stable peace (this is based on the televised pilot, it's novel, and the second sQ novel) by having seaQuest going around stopping undersea pirates and doing other stuff. Then Spielberg came around and decided to make it more like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which caused one of the producers who was in favor of the post-WWIII stuff to quit. The pilot and novels retained these elements due to being the earliest productions (most early tie-in novels for shows are based off the show bibles instead of the shows themselves in order to get them on shelves in time to cash in on the show). Season one ends up being TNG underwater, with some elements of the original idea cropping up here and there, but never really meshing properly. The show is pretty light on action and NBC has the writers put in an episode where the crew meets legit aliens late in season 1 to spice things up. It does well enough to get renewed, but production moves to Florida because it's cheaper than filming in Malibu. Bob Ballard decides to stop doing his little end credits bits sometime between the end of season 1 and the beginning of season 2 because the show is moving away from legit science to the usual scifi nonscience. Spielberg is long gone at this point, off doing movie stuff and getting memos on cartoons he's producing (such as Tiny Toons and Animaniacs).

Season 2 starts off pretty well with Daggers, a story about genetically engineered super soldiers taking over the prison they are in, which has a good mix of action and plot. However, the writers have a mandate to make things more "scifi" or something, so they come up with ridiculous drivel that smacks of post-season 1 Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, with occasional good works like The Sincerest Form of Flattery (an episode where the seaQuest crew has to face off with an AI sub controlled by an old copy of their captain's mind) and Daggers Redux (where the ring leader of the Dagger prison revolt is given a sub to sink seaQuest). The worst part of season 2 is that there's an arc revolving around more aliens, which leads to the season finale where seaQuest is apparently sunk. Roy Scheider, who plays the captain, decides to quit when the show is renewed because of how terrible the writing is and NBC fires a few cast members in order to make the show cheaper, along with getting an entirely new theme to save money on that too.

Michael Ironside comes along and manages to leverage himself into a producer position, then suggests the bleeding obvious, having a military based arc for a show set on a submarine. They set season 3 ten years after the end of season 2 and back on Earth, where things devolved into a cold war after seaQuest disappeared. The writers put out some decent mil scifi, with the occasional stumbles (such as an episode where seaQuest travels back in time to the Cuban Missile Crisis), but NBC decides to preempt them constantly and cancels them after the 13th episode is produced and a new antagonist is introduced in said episode.

And sadly, the seaQuest DSV concept has been left to rot for nearly 20 years, while tons of other stuff have gotten remakes and reboots. All this because Steven Spielberg dropped an idea that had no long term viability and was probably implemented solely because none of the writers and producers had the balls to say it was dumb.

That's pretty on the mark, although I would give Season One better grades than that summary does. It had a number of good episodes (Bermuda Triangle, Liberte Space Station, Mars Probe Retrieval, Prisoner Transport, Attempted UEO Coup D'Etat) and overall had good character development without being soapy. I agree that most of Season Two was dreck and that most of Season Three was pretty good.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
Wonder what production costs are for a show like this. Spielberg did another cartoon show about aliens taking over some time back, forget what it was called, I think Invasion? I used to watch cause it came on before Batman Beyond, lol. I don't think he's cut out for longer storytelling.
From what I gather, Spielberg as a producer just drops an idea and lets other people deal with it. If it's a movie, he might be on set (he was on set during Transformers and fired Megan Fox for calling Michael Bay a Nazi), if it's a TV show, the best you're going to get is memos. He's probably not involved with Falling Skies in any capacity at this point.

That's pretty on the mark, although I would give Season One better grades than that summary does. It had a number of good episodes (Bermuda Triangle, Liberte Space Station, Mars Probe Retrieval, Prisoner Transport, Attempted UEO Coup D'Etat) and overall had good character development without being soapy. I agree that most of Season Two was dreck and that most of Season Three was pretty good.
Well, the goal of the summary was to show how badly Spielberg handicapped seaQuest with just one mandate. I don't think that Falling Skies is gonna suffer as much from Spielberg's idea to focus on the family drama, but it's definitely going to have lasting repercussions and is obviously a factor in why the show isn't as good as it could be.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
From what I gather, Spielberg as a producer just drops an idea and lets other people deal with it. If it's a movie, he might be on set (he was on set during Transformers and fired Megan Fox for calling Michael Bay a Nazi), if it's a TV show, the best you're going to get is memos. He's probably not involved with Falling Skies in any capacity at this point.

Well, the goal of the summary was to show how badly Spielberg handicapped seaQuest with just one mandate. I don't think that Falling Skies is gonna suffer as much from Spielberg's idea to focus on the family drama, but it's definitely going to have lasting repercussions and is obviously a factor in why the show isn't as good as it could be.

I gathered Fox was officially fired for the Nazi remark but that also her appallingly bad acting was a factor. Who knew that they would find an even worse actress to replace her (of course hiring someone whose sole prior resume is as a Victoria's Secret model was asking for trouble)?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I gathered Fox was officially fired for the Nazi remark but that also her appallingly bad acting was a factor. Who knew that they would find an even worse actress to replace her (of course hiring someone whose sole prior resume is as a Victoria's Secret model was asking for trouble)?

To be fair all around it's not like Transformers requires good acting from anyone in the cast.

P.S. Perhaps it wasn't her acting that got her canned so much as her hammer thumbs (she's actually known by that moniker on some forums). Look at that thing! You could kill small rodent with it.

meganfox-clubbed-thumb.jpgmegan-fox-thumbs-1.jpgmegan-fox-thumbs.jpg

S

Stonelesscutter

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball