Failbook

heisenberg

Earl Grey

This dude is a horrible person. What a psycho

I'm not really paying attention to this story because I don't use Fakebook and it doesn't have an impact on my life. Why any sane person would give a social networking site such a strong hold over their personal lives, including their financial information, is beyond me. How the hell can anyone expect the protection of their privacy when they jump into a pool with a billion other people in it? That's stupid.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I'm not really paying attention to this story because I don't use Fakebook and it doesn't have an impact on my life. Why any sane person would give a social networking site such a strong hold over their personal lives, including their financial information, is beyond me. How the hell can anyone expect the protection of their privacy when they jump into a pool with a billion other people in it? That's stupid.

THIS^^^^^

I feel NO sympathy for any of these people who use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc etc. People are being fired for tweets, for Fakebunk posts, for things seen in Instagram photos and other stuff. The info gathered by these sites is pretty clear. Fakedump went as far as to request passports and birth certificates! And what's worse, many people actually gave them the info. The choice to use these sites is with the user. I find it disturbing when I meet people who say it is actually a requirement for life.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
THIS^^^^^

I feel NO sympathy for any of these people who use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc etc. People are being fired for tweets, for Fakebunk posts, for things seen in Instagram photos and other stuff. The infoo gathered by these sites is pretty clear. Fakedump went as far as to request passports and birth certificates! And what's worse, many people actually gave them the info. The choice to use these sites is with the user. I find it disturbing when I meet people who say it is actually a requirement for life.
Well technology does have its good and bad uses. I think the many things that upset me was that they didn't delete any of the stuff posted under a real name or was used for the wrong reasons. Facebook like all tech was awesome when it was first launched. It does have it good uses and enabled people to connect with lost friends and family but what made facebook very evil was that it wasn't respecting privacy and they over reached in certain areas and in turn breached multiple laws in the process to gain a financial advantage. There are some stuff that just doesn't belong on the internet or anywhere and some people simply are so evil and malicious that they don't deserve the internet, period. I think the reason why many employee require a facebook is down to a background search on you. Pretty sure when you apply for work these days, people are going to google you and google your email and check whether you have facebook and see how much you've shared online to get the real you and not the fake you.

THIS^^^^^

I feel NO sympathy for any of these people who use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc etc. People are being fired for tweets, for Fakebunk posts, for things seen in Instagram photos and other stuff. The infoo gathered by these sites is pretty clear. Fakedump went as far as to request passports and birth certificates! And what's worse, many people actually gave them the info. The choice to use these sites is with the user. I find it disturbing when I meet people who say it is actually a requirement for life.

My favorite excuse is that people use it for "business". :rolleye0014: I've never done business with anyone via Fakebook. But fine, let's say that people actually do use it for business. I'm not understanding how a data breach affects their personal info. If you just have your business info, company name and products, on Fakebook how can a breach affect you much? If your business bank account is compromised all you have to do is get it fixed at the bank. (And setting up a business account at a bank is easy af! Believe me, I've done it before.) And if you're too stupid and/or lazy to make sure you have a protected bank account for your business that's your fault.

The bottom line is I'm just not getting what the problem is here. If you willingly give out your personal info to a third party that's on you. I wouldn't share a dinner table with Mark Zuckerberg let alone give him my personal information to handle. That's just dumb.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My favorite excuse is that people use it for "business". :rolleye0014: I've never done business with anyone via Fakebook. But fine, let's say that people actually do use it for business. I'm not understanding how a data breach affects their personal info. If you just have your business info, company name and products, on Fakebook how can a breach affect you much? If your business bank account is compromised all you have to do is get it fixed at the bank. (And setting up a business account at a bank is easy af! Believe me, I've done it before.) And if you're too stupid and/or lazy to make sure you have a protected bank account for your business that's your fault.

The bottom line is I'm just not getting what the problem is here. If you willingly give out your personal info to a third party that's on you. I wouldn't share a dinner table with Mark Zuckerberg let alone give him my personal information to handle. That's just dumb.

I feel the exact same way. I was recently told I needed to have Facebook and LinkedIn and Twitter as a candidate for the agency. I told them I don't use any of those, but that I have accounts with each. I think they just have to fill out a field in a digital form that requires input into those fields or something. :) I couldn't care less if they compromise my Facebook account. My real birthday is not on there (or anywhere else online) and neither is my picture. The whole risk of data thing seems intrinsic to social media platforms.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well technology does have its good and bad uses. I think the many things that upset me was that they didn't delete any of the stuff posted under a real name or was used for the wrong reasons. Facebook like all tech was awesome when it was first launched. It does have it good uses and enabled people to connect with lost friends and family but what made facebook very evil was that it wasn't respecting privacy and they over reached in certain areas and in turn breached multiple laws in the process to gain a financial advantage. There are some stuff that just doesn't belong on the internet or anywhere and some people simply are so evil and malicious that they don't deserve the internet, period. I think the reason why many employee require a facebook is down to a background search on you. Pretty sure when you apply for work these days, people are going to google you and google your email and check whether you have facebook and see how much you've shared online to get the real you and not the fake you.

Technology is great. But Facebook is not technology, it's a social media platform. Basically, a very big, very complex website. All the features you see on Facebook are feeding and reading from a database. The technology that Facebook uses is the same as we use at GateFans in terms of actual technology. Facebook is a social media website, that is all. The thing is that it is the most popular website in the world and is driven by a GINORMOUS database which holds the personal data and fake data of more than a billion users. 100% of everyone on Facebook joined it by choice. Even if they breached my two Facebook accounts, they would have nothing.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Technology is great. But Facebook is not technology, it's a social media platform. Basically, a very big, very complex website. All the features you see on Facebook are feeding and reading from a database. The technology that Facebook uses is the same as we use at GateFans in terms of actual technology. Facebook is a social media website, that is all. The thing is that it is the most popular website in the world and is driven by a GINORMOUS database which holds the personal data and fake data of more than a billion users. 100% of everyone on Facebook joined it by choice. Even if they breached my two Facebook accounts, they would have nothing.
Facebook was the continuation from myspace and myspace basically died because it wasn't cool and trendy enough as well as the data breach it had. Myspace is still around surprisingly but since it's not cool and trendy enough, it's only done by musicians mainly. You are right that both are social media platform but at least gf doesn't ask for your real name, passport ID, driver's licence, mobile number, address, SSN.

I feel the exact same way. I was recently told I needed to have Facebook and LinkedIn and Twitter as a candidate for the agency. I told them I don't use any of those, but that I have accounts with each. I think they just have to fill out a field in a digital form that requires input into those fields or something. :) I couldn't care less if they compromise my Facebook account. My real birthday is not on there (or anywhere else online) and neither is my picture. The whole risk of data thing seems intrinsic to social media platforms.

LinkedIn is a joke. It initially had some cache but quickly became useless in my estimation. I don't know anyone using it anymore. In fact, all I ever hear about nowadays are scammers using it to try and con legit profiles into multi-level marketing/pyramid schemes. Maybe some people find LinkedIn to be worthwhile but I just don't see it.

And I don't know anyone who ever got a job via Fakebook. Nor do I know of any business that relies on it to get customers, even local bars and restaurants. I just looked at a Fakebook page for a popular local restaurant/tavern and the info was out of date. No one was updating it which tells me that Fakebook just isn't that big of a marketing tool.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If you're running your business off of Facebook you deserve what happens to you.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LinkedIn is a joke. It initially had some cache but quickly became useless in my estimation. I don't know anyone using it anymore. In fact, all I ever hear about nowadays are scammers using it to try and con legit profiles into multi-level marketing/pyramid schemes. Maybe some people find LinkedIn to be worthwhile but I just don't see it.

And I don't know anyone who ever got a job via Fakebook. Nor do I know of any business that relies on it to get customers, even local bars and restaurants. I just looked at a Fakebook page for a popular local restaurant/tavern and the info was out of date. No one was updating it which tells me that Fakebook just isn't that big of a marketing tool.

LinkedIn has brought me some job leads, but it has also attracted a few scammers and software vendors.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

Linkedin is far far worse than facebook. They leak people's information at will.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Linkedin is far far worse than facebook. They leak people's information at will.

Yep, and they give it to those dumb online schools so they call or fill up your mailbox with crap.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
You do realize that even if you don't actively use your Facebook account there are still trackers on a whole lot of websites which are probably feeding data to facebook about you, right? They might have a ton on you which is not publicly visible but can still be leaked or shared with businesses or governments.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You do realize that even if you don't actively use your Facebook account there are still trackers on a whole lot of websites which are probably feeding data to facebook about you, right? They might have a ton on you which is not publicly visible but can still be leaked or shared with businesses or governments.
Yes and that's why there are tracker blockers such as privacy badger, no script and disconnect available and really, if you have worked for the government, your information is already shared/leaked but as long as you are not being a dick about it, they'll leave you alone.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes and that's why there are tracker blockers such as privacy badger, no script and disconnect available and really, if you have worked for the government, your information is already shared/leaked but as long as you are not being a dick about it, they'll leave you alone.

THIS^^^

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I use facebook for contact with long distance family & friends. that's it. I don't use it professionally or even have my profession on it!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I use facebook for contact with long distance family & friends. that's it. I don't use it professionally or even have my profession on it!

I use my phone for that. :) How is the sound quality on Facebook? :jack_new03: Snark aside, I can understand why some people use Facebook, and I can even see some benefits for certain types of people who choose to use Facebook. I am just not one of them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yet one more reason not to use Fakebook. It turns out that in Canada lawyers can check potential juror's Facebook pages in order to help them figure out if you will be a good or bad influence on a case.

The article is in French (because it's in Montreal) but can easily be translated via the site option.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2018/04/16/des-avocats-identifient-des-jures-grace-a-facebook-1

It's standard operating procedure these days. The very first places the media will look when a criminal does something high profile is to check Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (which is also Facebook, in case anyone did not know that). You hardly hear of anyone in the news unless there are some juicy screenshots of Twitter tweets or Fakedump threads to accompany the article. I can't believe people are writing manifestos and organizing rallies and marches and having romances on there. :facepalm:.