Alphas Season One finale -- Monday, September 26, 10-11PM
Haven Season Two finale -- Friday, September 30, 10-11PM
Warehouse 13 Season Three two-hour finale -- Monday, October 3, 9-11PM
To accompany the season finales, Syfy will air the following marathons:
Alphas Season One -- Monday. September 26, 11:30AM-10PM
Haven Season Two -- Friday, September 30, 8AM-6PM
Warehouse 13 Season Three -- Monday, October 3, 11AM-9PM

SANCTUARY (SEASON 4 PREMIERE)
Friday, October 7 at 10PM (ET/PT) -- The 13 all-new episodes of Season 4 change everything. With the arrival of the Hollow Earth refugees, the balance between Abnormals and humans is severely upset.

Pathetic! There is no science fiction(except for eureka). Hang on where the hell is Blood&Chrome? I thought was suppose to air this year? Or has it been delayed?

See the complete trash of new shows on syfail
http://blastr.com/2011/08/whats-syfy-got-planned-fo.php

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Syfy has really fallen from my good books. To be honest it's fairly pathetic for a cable channel to need to show so much reality junk. Not to mention it needing to have all its scripted shows have the same causal tones (not that kind of thing is bad but I need variety!).

I pretty much feel that the next 'great' sci-fi show is going to come from somewhere like Starz, HBO or Showtime. Those are the channels looking to make great TV; if someone comes in with a brilliant vision for a sci-fi show they'll pounce on it.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Syfy has really fallen from my good books. To be honest it's fairly pathetic for a cable channel to need to show so much reality junk. Not to mention it needing to have all its scripted shows have the same causal tones (not that kind of thing is bad but I need variety!).

I pretty much feel that the next 'great' sci-fi show is going to come from somewhere like Starz, HBO or Showtime. Those are the channels looking to make great TV; if someone comes in with a brilliant vision for a sci-fi show they'll pounce on it.
I think you are exactly right, Yoshi.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
The problem is that SyFy is trying to diversify it's market share by widening it's audience with shows that are cheap to produce... and it's pretty much shooting itself in the foot by doing that. Sure, they play good scifi movies because it was cheap to buy the rights to air that stuff, but they don't take a lot of high risk ventures when making new shows because they haven't really gotten good returns from them in the long term aside from critical success with BSG (which they squandered).

Let's not delve into their tendency to be cheap as hell with advertising for things that they aren't sure will do well (which in turn causes them to not do well).

I agree, but the problem is that while those channels have to produce high quality content in order to justify the viewers' subscriptions, those shows tend to get pirated a lot because a lot of people don't want or don't have the money to spend to get those channels. And when it comes to live action scifi, which costs a lot to produce at high quality, especially if you're doing anything with lots of locations, make-up, VFX, and well made sets, the fact that a lot of people aren't going to be paying to watch the content directly from the channel might make it less appealing.

Of course, there are ways around this, like cutting a deal to have a basic cable channel run the episodes an hour later if they add some money to the pot or moving to an ala carte way of ordering TV channels, but so many people are so invested in the current system that it's not going to happen anytime soon (much like animated one hour dramas).

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
The problem is that SyFy is trying to diversify it's market share by widening it's audience with shows that are cheap to produce... and it's pretty much shooting itself in the foot by doing that. Sure, they play good scifi movies because it was cheap to buy the rights to air that stuff, but they don't take a lot of high risk ventures when making new shows because they haven't really gotten good returns from them in the long term aside from critical success with BSG (which they squandered).

Let's not delve into their tendency to be cheap as hell with advertising for things that they aren't sure will do well (which in turn causes them to not do well).

I agree, but the problem is that while those channels have to produce high quality content in order to justify the viewers' subscriptions, those shows tend to get pirated a lot because a lot of people don't want or don't have the money to spend to get those channels.
And when it comes to live action scifi, which costs a lot to produce at high quality, especially if you're doing anything with lots of locations, make-up, VFX, and well made sets, the fact that a lot of people aren't going to be paying to watch the content directly from the channel might make it less appealing.

Of course, there are ways around this, like cutting a deal to have a basic cable channel run the episodes an hour later if they add some money to the pot or moving to an ala carte way of ordering TV channels, but so many people are so invested in the current system that it's not going to happen anytime soon (much like animated one hour dramas).

While this is true those premium cable channels make a ton of money from the people that do subscribe. When you look at what they can do with shows like Spartacus and Game of Thrones, a sci-fi show isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I mean expecting movie level effects in a TV show is unreasonable; but there is room there to make something really good.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
If only we could get an ala carte option for viewing choices but cable companies aren't about to lose the millions in advertising revenue that they get paid for all those needless channels that no one would buy if given the choice. The technology is in place of course but there's no way in hell they are going to allow that without a fight. Can you imagine the drop off for certain channels if they weren't part of a package deal? Personally I think it would be great because it would force channels to become competitive -- and having reality shows and cheaply produced UFO shows is not competitive no matter how you slice it. If channels were tossed out to sink or swim on their own they'd have to go back to showcasing that which made them popular such as science or history or scifi or cooking.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
If only we could get an ala carte option for viewing choices but cable companies aren't about to lose the millions in advertising revenue that they get paid for all those needless channels that no one would buy if given the choice. The technology is in place of course but there's no way in hell they are going to allow that without a fight. Can you imagine the drop off for certain channels if they weren't part of a package deal? Personally I think it would be great because it would force channels to become competitive -- and having reality shows and cheaply produced UFO shows is not competitive no matter how you slice it. If channels were tossed out to sink or swim on their own they'd have to go back to showcasing that which made them popular such as science or history or scifi or cooking.
The drop off thing is part of the reason why people outside the industry are railing against ala carte, because channels like BET and other ethnically targeted channels on basic cable would pretty much die without being forced upon people. Personally, I see no reason to keep channels that can't survive on their own alive, especially when I don't even watch the channel in question to begin with.

However, I think that if there was a shift to ala carte, a lot of the digital cable/satellite premium channels would be just fine, since they are already targeting a niche audience. The only problem is that a lot of them would have to start advertising their own existence instead of benefiting from being locked into the channel rotation.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan

Well when you look at why cable companies are making good shows it's because they need to be competitive. HBO and Starz are looking for you to buy them as a channel; they rely on quality programming to justify that cost. They don't care if millions of people will tune in to Big Brother because nobody in the market for premium TV will pay or care for that kind of thing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well when you look at why cable companies are making good shows it's because they need to be competitive. HBO and Starz are looking for you to buy them as a channel; they rely on quality programming to justify that cost. They don't care if millions of people will tune in to Big Brother because nobody in the market for premium TV will pay or care for that kind of thing.

If HBO buys them, they might as well just eliminate the name and just merge the audiences. Syfy as a name for a wrestling/cooking/reality show channel is an oxymoron.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I Syfy as a name for a wrestling/cooking/reality show channel is an oxymoron.

I was thinking of putting as a topic but since you brought it up , not sure if you know but in Poland the name "Sci-Fi" still stands have a look yourself :lol:

I also don't like some of other retarded shows they show. God what is happening to the world? :facepalm: All the intelligent stuff is going away.

http://www.scifiuniversal.pl/

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I don't know of one single person who likes the direction SciFi has taken, especially since morphing into SyFy. Not one. Do you? Has anyone here ever bumped into a person and heard them exclaim that they like the new direction of the channel? Seriously, have you?

I'm convinced the channel would do much better if it returned to its roots. Change the name and focus back to scifi. Play reruns of scifi shows from the 50's/60's/70's/80's and even the 90's. If the network wants to produce its own shows it needs to focus on genuine science fiction. The cheesy Giant Sharktopus-Dinocroc movies have to go. They've been done to death. Sure they got notice at first mostly because they afforded some good laughs, but now they're played out and only serve to insult intelligent viewers. What happens when one is insulted? They go away. Pardon the scifi pun but it's not rocket science.

ChromeToasterX

GateFans Noob
I don't know of one single person who likes the direction SciFi has taken, especially since morphing into SyFy. Not one. Do you? Has anyone here ever bumped into a person and heard them exclaim that they like the new direction of the channel? Seriously, have you?

I'm convinced the channel would do much better if it returned to its roots. Change the name and focus back to scifi. Play reruns of scifi shows from the 50's/60's/70's/80's and even the 90's. If the network wants to produce its own shows it needs to focus on genuine science fiction. The cheesy Giant Sharktopus-Dinocroc movies have to go. They've been done to death. Sure they got notice at first mostly because they afforded some good laughs, but now they're played out and only serve to insult intelligent viewers. What happens when one is insulted? They go away. Pardon the scifi pun but it's not rocket science.

SciFI_schedule.png

Anyone remember this? It's sad to think that a 20 year old college student can create a better channel lineup than people paid to do so.