Face Off - New series on SciFi

I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but, I'm actually looking forward to this show. I can't believe I'm actually saying this about a reality show on the SciFi channel! Forgive me, scifi gods...

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/

Face Off is a competition/elimination series exploring the world of special-effects make-up artists and the unlimited imagination that allows them to create amazing works of living art. The contestants are tasked with elaborate feature challenges including executing full body paint make up on models and creating their own horror villain. Not only will the show incorporate effects make-up, it will include a wide range of skill sets including prosthetics, 3-D design, sculpting, eye enhancers, casting and molding. Each episode involves incredible reveals of the competitors' finished work, and the drama of one contestant being sent home by the panel of expert and celebrity judges.

I do hate the whole reality judging thing, but I excited to see the creative aspect of the make-up artists. Anyone else interested in this one?

stclare

Moderator & Mckay Super Fan
I can't believe that I'm going to say this, but, I'm actually looking forward to this show. I can't believe I'm actually saying this about a reality show on the SciFi channel! Forgive me, scifi gods...

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/

Face Off is a competition/elimination series exploring the world of special-effects make-up artists and the unlimited imagination that allows them to create amazing works of living art. The contestants are tasked with elaborate feature challenges including executing full body paint make up on models and creating their own horror villain. Not only will the show incorporate effects make-up, it will include a wide range of skill sets including prosthetics, 3-D design, sculpting, eye enhancers, casting and molding. Each episode involves incredible reveals of the competitors' finished work, and the drama of one contestant being sent home by the panel of expert and celebrity judges.

I do hate the whole reality judging thing, but I excited to see the creative aspect of the make-up artists. Anyone else interested in this one?

Sounds interesting. im intrigued to see the way the effects will be done.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
It does look pretty neat, actually. However I keep thinking of Nicholas Cage and John Travolta...distracting. Anybody else have that association or is it just me?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It does look pretty neat, actually. However I keep thinking of Nicholas Cage and John Travolta...distracting. Anybody else have that association or is it just me?

I didn't before....... :P

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As a rule I despise "reality" shows but make an exception if they have to actually make something tangible. If they don't make this show into a stupid drama fest then it could end up being pretty good.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Don't tell me that Syfy has done something good and made a "reality" show that scifi fans might actually enjoy!!!

Shhh, no one tell the Syfy haters floating around, you might burst thier bubble...... :P

THX1138

GateFans Member

Me too.

I hope they don't spoil it as it sounds like it might be good.

At first, I thought they made some type of reality show built around this exact premise and I was so pissed off at SciFi!!! When I finally saw the commercial, I immediately put down my pitchfork and blew out my torch.

As a rule I despise "reality" shows but make an exception if they have to actually make something tangible. If they don't make this show into a stupid drama fest then it could end up being pretty good.

This is the one straw that will break it for me. If they end up putting the contestants in a house with cameras, or if there are "alliances", or any of that stupid reality shit, I'm gone. It's got ONE chance to prove that it's going to be:

1. Here's your test for today
2. Show the contestant's progess
3. Three judges grade it
4. A winner is chosen

I don't want the stupid fucking backstory's of a hard knock life, and who hasn't seen the big city before, how much winning will mean to their family, or any of that innane bull. I want the drama to come from watching these people work and seeing everything that goes into a makeup transformation.

I gave SGU three chances. This show has ONE.

Red Mage

Boney

Well my first impression when I saw the title was: "What? They are actually making a series based off that crappy movie? Well Tremors did get one..."

Then I read the show description and saw it was nothing of the sort. I'm neutral to reality tv shows. If the subject matter is something I'm interested in then I'll give the show a shot. The premise does sound somewhat interesting so I'll probably give the show a chance when it airs.

If you are expecting no drama between the contestants, don't bother watching because that is a given. Backstabbing and sappy backstories are a staple of this type of show. It's what drives the ratings with the mass market audiences. Hopefully, it will be balanced out by interesting work by the contest and insightful critique by the judges.

SexyDexy

GateFans Noob
A show actually based on the movie - now THAT might be just bad enough that it would turn funny enough to be good! In fact, they could do it with makeup and no surgery - you know like in those spy movies where they wear a mask and change their voices with a machine. Two people could pretend to be each other and reality show craziness would ensue. I bet some network will try making a show like that some day...assuming they can have people sign waivers about the myriad ethical issues, and knowing the number of people out there desperate for 15 minutes of fame, I bet they would get tons of volunteers.

But back to the Faceoff on Syfy - I will take a look at it if they put it free on Hulu. It just better not be as dumb as Hair Battle Spectacular :facepalm: