Extinction - Another unoriginal Netflix exclusive

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, the plot holes are huge. And as you say, the more interesting story was the humans, but they pretty much ignored that aspect. The style of the movie is that of a live-action cartoon in many ways, or so I thought.

They could do a prequel to this. Thing is, those spending money on the production might not see any value in it unless the viewership warrants it. They need to show what was going on before these events. After all, humans colonized Mars and developed an entire civilization there before returning to earth. That is an interesting story! But those plotholes are friggin YUUUUGE. Where did the children come from? How would any of these "others" (trying not to spoil here) forget what they were? Any time there was a car accident, or an accidental crushing of any of them or extreme physical damage from an accident, it would be obvious. What about history books/videos? Why wouldn't they be aware of the humans' eventual return? The dreams the main character was having would also be happening with others around the world, right? Still, the concept was interesting.

They could do a prequel to this. Thing is, those spending money on the production might not see any value in it unless the viewership warrants it. They need to show what was going on before these events. After all, humans colonized Mars and developed an entire civilization there before returning to earth. That is an interesting story! But those plotholes are friggin YUUUUGE. Where did the children come from? How would any of these "others" (trying not to spoil here) forget what they were? Any time there was a car accident, or an accidental crushing of any of them or extreme physical damage from an accident, it would be obvious. What about history books/videos? Why wouldn't they be aware of the humans' eventual return? The dreams the main character was having would also be happening with others around the world, right? Still, the concept was interesting.

Well the big question is two-fold: Why did they make so much variation in the AI models and why/when did the AI become sentient enough to seek independence? And since every robot looks human how could humans tell the difference between them and the AI? I'm not understanding what the point was of making the AI indistinguishable from the humans.

The AI role in society was never explained other than the scene showing Michael Pena working as a janitor before the AI revolution. The whole premise is very shaky.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well the big question is two-fold: Why did they make so much variation in the AI models and why/when did the AI become sentient enough to seek independence? And since every robot looks human how could humans tell the difference between them and the AI? I'm not understanding what the point was of making the AI indistinguishable from the humans.

The AI role in society was never explained other than the scene showing Michael Pena working as a janitor before the AI revolution. The whole premise is very shaky.

It does not make sense that the androids would not know they were androids. They do not grow or reproduce, so how did so many be made that they could populate the whole planet? Why would ALL the humans leave for Mars? What about the primitives living in South America and Africa and the island nations? Was there a war between the humans and the AI? Too many huge plotholes. Why would AI be made without a failsafe? Answer: it never would be. That is what I was telling heisenberg/singularity. There will ALWAYS be a backdoor available to techs, ranging from a simple physical reset button to a nested kill code. But I still liked the movie. It seems like something that came out of somebody's dream and they wrote it down after waking up and made it into a movie.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Just gave this a watch. First 10 to 15 minutes was "let's see where this goes". Next 45 minutes was a lot of "damn this is annoying". Then everything suddenly changed. Twist! Became quite interesting then. But agree with a lot of things which were said here.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Just gave this a watch. First 10 to 15 minutes was "let's see where this goes". Next 45 minutes was a lot of "damn this is annoying". Then everything suddenly changed. Twist! Became quite interesting then. But agree with a lot of things which were said here.
I came away NOT hating it. :) I thought it was "clever", if not plausible.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah me too, I don't hate it. But for you that's more of an accomplishment. :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I just watched this recently.. not great but pretty good. worth watching on a rainy day when you have absolutely nothing more to do

plot holes though? didn't see them.. elaborate?

the 'whiny kids'? well, if one watched and paid attn, i think it is clear why they were so whiney given what had happened to them

i read one review off GF's that called it 'confused'.. No, its called a clever use of plot and reveal; suspense. I can see though, how the modern and millennial age group would not have either the patience nor the attn span to watch it (no one here)

and with the people from Mars (its been a few yrs so if you ain't watched it by now..... this is post,post mortem time, spoilers not needed) I think it is very interesting if we could have more on how the managed to build a civilization there and how the biological changes occurred- mention in dialogue

the amount of time passed from exodus to the time of the film? could have been centuries given the nature of the main characters

yet one other reviewer- a positive one- said this movie had the feel of being a back door tv/streaming series pilot. I can see that,, i think the movie was engineered to serve that potential.. and, given the time lost in hollywood due to covid, anything is possibly given the need to feed "the stream"
Yep, anything from the seedy, wrong side of the tracks, gangland, thug life, psychopaths, serial killers, etc.
uh..hello? Twitter much? :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Never did see this, and with having dropped Netflix after the Cuties fiasco I lack the means to do so.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Never did see this, and with having dropped Netflix after the Cuties fiasco I lack the means to do so.
cuties was a fiasco.. however, it was NOT a netflix original as in they did not produce or fund its production. they bought the distro rights only. it was made in france by a production com there

also, the real issue with it,, imo, is the normalization of Islam it tries to convey and then that the sexuality of the girl is 'ok' as her way to protest against the way she sees her mother being victimized by her father taking a 2nd wife under Islamic law. how her mother must prepare the home for the new #1 wife including preparing the marriage bed... to me THIS is the worst of it- the Islam part

the sexualization is a secondary, but important issue too

seems most ppl did not notice the islamic messaging in it

however, Joe, EVERYONE knows this-Texas has filed a lawsuit and crim charges against NF over it. and it is rather limiting to oneself to bar yourself from NF and all the other content over a demonstration that is past its time and purpose

HOW WILL YOU EVER GET TO WACTH THE LAST SEASON OF LOST IN SPACE? :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
cuties was a fiasco.. however, it was NOT a netflix original as in they did not produce or fund its production. they bought the distro rights only. it was made in france by a production com there

also, the real issue with it,, imo, is the normalization of Islam it tries to convey and then that the sexuality of the girl is 'ok' as her way to protest against the way she sees her mother being victimized by her father taking a 2nd wife under Islamic law. how her mother must prepare the home for the new #1 wife including preparing the marriage bed... to me THIS is the worst of it- the Islam part

the sexualization is a secondary, but important issue too

seems most ppl did not notice the islamic messaging in it

however, Joe, EVERYONE knows this-Texas has filed a lawsuit and crim charges against NF over it. and it is rather limiting to oneself to bar yourself from NF and all the other content over a demonstration that is past its time and purpose

HOW WILL YOU EVER GET TO WACTH THE LAST SEASON OF LOST IN SPACE? :)

The sexualization was the PRIMARY reason for the massive outcry in the US, not anything having to do with Muslims. The movie seemed like some sort of dog whistle for pedophiles to come out of the woodwork. I never once heard anything about people discussing the Muslim aspect of it because many don't know.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The sexualization was the PRIMARY reason for the massive outcry in the US, not anything having to do with Muslims. The movie seemed like some sort of dog whistle for pedophiles to come out of the woodwork. I never once heard anything about people discussing the Muslim aspect of it because many don't know.
yes..what i said with diff words :)

the whole mesg of "yeah islam may be rough on the women but its here to stay" was never verbalized in the film, it was visual. and the msg was buried by the sexual exploits

and, in america, most ppl would not see the muslim msg,why-0- because by comparison, in the film, the family is seen as CONSERVATIVE in dress and action compared to the sexualized others = radical

america- mostly conservative socially, watching the film would "side" with the conservative family no matter their religion, over the hyper sexualization

its a backwards way of soft selling Islam