Extinction - Another unoriginal Netflix exclusive

heisenberg

Earl Grey

This company is lacking good original titles and is leading to its ultimate destruction.

They are removing titles which tells you to stay well clear from this company. I don't know how this company is staying afloat other than doing some shady deals in the background

https://flixable.com/netflix-museum/

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Hey! It's THE place to go for swarms of Bollywood junk!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Uh....I think it looks AWESOME! Nobody else thinks so? The premise is totally cool. What if his visions were transmitted by yet another alien race warring with the ones we saw in the trailer? This sounds intriguing. And the special effects are erection-inducing.

PussyGalore said:
I'll probably give it a chance but I suspect it will be heavy on interpersonal dialogue and not so much on the aliens.

This too...

Uh....I think it looks AWESOME! Nobody else thinks so? The premise is totally cool. What if his visions were transmitted by yet another alien race warring with the ones we saw in the trailer? This sounds intriguing. And the special effects are erection-inducing.

This too...

I'm too lazy to research it but is this movie just something Netflix picked up or did they actually produce it? If they produced it they might have spent money on FX (because we all know Netflix is still burning their budget foolishly). Regardless, the trailer shows an awful lot of talking. And I can't help but wonder if the twist will be that this is all happening in the guy's head or something like that.

heisenberg

Earl Grey

This too...
It bores me. There is nothing intriguing about this other than meh....

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Hey! It's THE place to go for swarms of Bollywood junk!

This too...
I'll probably give it a chance but I suspect it will be heavy on interpersonal dialogue and not so much on the aliens.

here is another disaster movie. It's theme is based on how the world ends and that the movie looks like a disaster to me. More reason to stay away from Netflix still. I don't see the point in wasting money after this. lol.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

here is another disaster movie. It's theme is based on how the world ends and that the movie looks like a disaster to me. More reason to stay away from Netflix still. I don't see the point in wasting money after this. lol.

This reminds me of that awful pilot called "The After" by Chris Carter. If it just shows everything crumbling without saying why it's happening or what is causing it, then it isn't worth watching. I am uninterested in seeing a bunch of scared people running around and dodging falling buildings if nobody knows what is causing it.

BTW folks, I watched Extinction right before I cancelled Netflix. It was okay despite having really dumb stuff going on in it. Plus it has whiny kids in it for most of the movie, which really sucked. The premise itself is interesting but how they carried it off was dumb. You will have to really suspend your disbelief. I can't say more without spoiling it so I'll just say that yes, it is scifi.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
BTW folks, I watched Extinction right before I cancelled Netflix. It was okay despite having really dumb stuff going on in it. Plus it has whiny kids in it for most of the movie, which really sucked. The premise itself is interesting but how they carried it off was dumb. You will have to really suspend your disbelief. I can't say more without spoiling it so I'll just say that yes, it is scifi.

Please spoil it for me before I waste my time. PM me. Thanks!

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
This reminds me of that awful pilot called "The After" by Chris Carter. If it just shows everything crumbling without saying why it's happening or what is causing it, then it isn't worth watching. I am uninterested in seeing a bunch of scared people running around and dodging falling buildings if nobody knows what is causing it.
I am with heisenberg - I am so sick and bored of these dark themed shows. They are way too violent for me to watch. Call me sensitive and old fart but all you want but I miss the shows the 80's and 90's where the violence was toned down, where you could watch it with the family and acting was better.

In addition they were some great tv shows from the 2000's like Hustle, White Collar, Suits (Season 1) etc etc. I don;t know how you can watch Netflix to be honest.

https://www.thehook.online/2018/02/8-shockingly-violent-tv-shows-netflix/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am with heisenberg - I am so sick and bored of these dark themed shows. They are way too violent for me to watch. Call me sensitive and old fart but all you want but I miss the shows the 80's and 90's where the violence was toned down, where you could watch it with the family and acting was better.

In addition they were some great tv shows from the 2000's like Hustle, White Collar, Suits (Season 1) etc etc. I don;t know how you can watch Netflix to be honest.

https://www.thehook.online/2018/02/8-shockingly-violent-tv-shows-netflix/

I am with you guys. Its the reason I was completely uninterested in Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and any of the violent episodes of other shows which showed graphic violence, implied violence or torture. I don't find any part of it appealing.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I am with you guys. Its the reason I was completely uninterested in Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, and any of the violent episodes of other shows which showed graphic violence, implied violence or torture. I don't find any part of it appealing.

Breaking bad was terrible I got bored from watching because of the depressing overtones it had and don't get me wrong the acting was great but the storyline was way too depressing for me to watch.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Breaking bad was terrible I got bored from watching because of the depressing overtones it had and don't get me wrong the acting was great but the storyline was way too depressing for me to watch.

I couldn't make it through the first episode. And the same with Sons of Anarchy. I am instantly turned off of any prison stories, gang or crime family stories, gruesome torture or psychopath stories (or glorification of them like Dexter and Hannibal), anything having to do with incest, cannibalism or animal cruelty. I just do not find any of that entertaining. But at one time in my life, I almost lived off stuff like that! :)

I plan to watch this Extinction thing tonight, thanks to PussyGalore for telling me what to expect. :jackanime14:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
I couldn't make it through the first episode. And the same with Sons of Anarchy. I am instantly turned off of any prison stories, gang or crime family stories, gruesome torture or psychopath stories (or glorification of them like Dexter and Hannibal), anything having to do with incest, cannibalism or animal cruelty. I just do not find any of that entertaining. But at one time in my life, I almost lived off stuff like that! :)

I plan to watch this Extinction thing tonight, thanks to PussyGalore for telling me what to expect. :jackanime14:
See, the thing is I could watch Prison break season 1-3 because it wasn't as graphic and it was something interesting to watch but the new one in Yemen made me go WTF, this is way too rough for me. Some of the explosions and things were way too realistic for my liking. I watched the trailer for Sons of Anarchy and I am totally turned off by it.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
See, the thing is I could watch Prison break season 1-3 because it wasn't as graphic and it was something interesting to watch but the new one in Yemen made me go WTF, this is way too rough for me. Some of the explosions and things were way too realistic for my liking. I watched the trailer for Sons of Anarchy and I am totally turned off by it.

Yep, anything from the seedy, wrong side of the tracks, gangland, thug life, psychopaths, serial killers, etc. Not at all interested. I will never be in prison, and I don't really care to see how they rot or plot or live in prisons. I don't want to see stories about drug dealers or thugs or gangstas. I like explosions and stuff, but only when they are in space or involving aliens. :). Give me financial intrigue, high end heists (James Bond anyone?), Mission Impossible, stuff like that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Okay, I just finished watching this. I agree with what you said, and I think its greatest moments came after the "reveal". THEN it became interesting, but it created plot holes that weren't there before the reveal that could not be fixed after the reveal, so they just glossed over them. And it was an hour at least (half the movie) before the reveal came. They spent too much time on the "others", and just about nothing about the far more interesting story of the humans which was only hinted at by Miles.

However, I did think it was worth the one watch, and it most definitely is scifi in the purest sense of the definition.

Okay, I just finished watching this. I agree with what you said, and I think its greatest moments came after the "reveal". THEN it became interesting, but it created plot holes that weren't there before the reveal that could not be fixed after the reveal, so they just glossed over them. And it was an hour at least (half the movie) before the reveal came. They spent too much time on the "others", and just about nothing about the far more interesting story of the humans which was only hinted at by Miles.

However, I did think it was worth the one watch, and it most definitely is scifi in the purest sense of the definition.

Yeah, the plot holes are huge. And as you say, the more interesting story was the humans, but they pretty much ignored that aspect. The style of the movie is that of a live-action cartoon in many ways, or so I thought.