Explosion at Oslo, shooting at a Labour Party youth camp outside Oslo -

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They were reporting on this this morning and it seems to have sparked the Aussie debate over "violent video games" (we have no R rating for games :facepalm:) Apparently it is all "modern warfare 2" fault because of this, couldn't be any other reason could it :facepalm:.
Seriously, how stupid are people??

S

Stonelesscutter

They were reporting on this this morning and it seems to have sparked the Aussie debate over "violent video games" (we have no R rating for games :facepalm:) Apparently it is all "modern warfare 2" fault because of this, couldn't be any other reason could it :facepalm:.
Seriously, how stupid are people??

Very very stupid.
I remember it has been proven that violent video games have in fact no negative influence on people.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Very very stupid.
I remember it has been proven that violent video games have in fact no negative influence on people.

not quite...it has been shown that those who live with violence in their homes, watch violent movies, play violent video games are more likely to be violent themselves...but "proven" one way or another? sorry sociology and psychology aren't that precise...they aren't physics you know. :D it is also true that correlation (more criminals play violent video games) does NOT equal causation (are they violent because of the games or are they drawn to the games due to their own violent natures?)

It is sad to hear of the death toll but trying times bring out the best in some people:
A German tourist is being hailed as a hero for rescuing at least 20 people from a gunman's rampage on Utoya island in Norway, according to media reports.
Marcel Gleffe, 32, was with his family Friday at a campground across the water from the island when he heard gunshots, Der Spiegel reported. He and his family looked out from the shore, thinking it might be fireworks, but instead they saw a plume of smoke and a girl swimming frantically in the water and screaming.
Gleffe made several trips to the island to rescue around six people each time for about an hour, when police finally arrived, a German English-language news website The Local reported. Other people from Gleffe's campsite also joined him and ferried people back to the mainland with their boats.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43880728/ns/world_news-europe/

Tropicana

Council Member
I can't believe Breveik's lawyer is suggesting that the murderer is insane. He's not insane, he planned it down to the letter.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I can't believe Breveik's lawyer is suggesting that the murderer is insane. He's not insane, he planned it down to the letter.

I don't know about the law there...but mentally ill (as he obviously is) and legal insanity are two very different things...by "insane" (in the USA) it means they can't differentiate right from wrong and/or are not in control of their actions. Being able to plan something does not negate insanity in the USA at least. Obviously the man has some serious mental issues.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

He's probably going to argue that anyone who could plan such a thing is by definition insane dude, "only a madman would plan an attack like this"

Tropicana

Council Member
I don't know about the law there...but mentally ill (as he obviously is) and legal insanity are two very different things...by "insane" (in the USA) it means they can't differentiate right from wrong and/or are not in control of their actions. Being able to plan something does not negate insanity in the USA at least. Obviously the man has some serious mental issues.
I'm unsure Norwegian laws here regarding this issue. My main fear is Norway has a law where Breveik will plead insanity and he will get off lightly, making the entire justice a farce.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I'm unsure Norwegian laws here regarding this issue. My main fear is Norway has a law where Breveik will plead insanity and he will get off lightly, making the entire justice a farce.

I feel for you ...the USA had that happen with the paranoid schzoid who shot Ronald Reagan in 1981- the guy, John Hinkley Jr, was found not guilty by reason of insanity and has spent the last 30 years in a very nice psychiatric hospital (his folks were wealthy) in DC and now has unsupervised visits with his elderly mother away from the facility - he has a driver's license and is responsible for his own transportation and accomodations during the weeks he is away from the facility. The verdict in his case caused the federal gov't and many states to change their laws to "Guilty but insane"- thus preventing the lack of punishment in subsequent cases that hinkley got.

S

Stonelesscutter

If he gets off lightly, when he is released he will probably be dead before he even gets home.

Tropicana

Council Member
If he gets off lightly, when he is released he will probably be dead before he even gets home.
One thing I noticed about the Scandinavians for the most part; they are very peaceful and would never do something like revenge attack. But that sense of innocence they had, that many places like UK or US have lost a long time ago, is now gone too in Norway, so maybe you're right.

S

Stonelesscutter

One thing I noticed about the Scandinavians for the most part; they are very peaceful and would never do something like revenge attack. But that sense of innocence they had, that many places like UK or US have lost a long time ago, is now gone too in Norway, so maybe you're right.

Yes, Scandinavians have always been peaceful, especially in their viking days. :)
I know what you mean, but I think right now there's plenty of people there that would love to drive a knife straight through that SOB.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
that would be some serious Weregild to pay for what he did.

LadySciFi

GateFans Noob
Violence has a strange effect on people. I just hope that the peacefulness the people of Norway have enjoyed in the past returns to that course. And that this incident doesn't awaken more violence for Norway and its citizens by its citizens or outlanders..

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.

very very doubtfull seeing as we are sentient logical people guided by logic rather then emotion even tho there is ALOT of idiots among us this is more of a culture thing so vengeance like that is frowned upon and very unlikly to occur.

but On topic.

evn tho the deaths and everything around this is horrific and sad i still cant help find his actions funny and the reasons he did what he did to get publicity and an effect on norweigian society.. sure you got people talking but its def going to hurt your "cause" (rightwing christian ideals etc) seeing as his actions has most likly secured many future elections for the norweigian labour party...

imo if he expected to be praised and to bring forth change and debate he must be INSANE as it doenst make logical sense..