Eureka X-Mas special "Do You See What I See" *Spoilers*

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I also liked it. Hilarious episode. The claymation part was a homage to the Rankin-Bass TV Christmas specials from the 60's (Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer). The ability to do dramedy is something I will miss when Eureka goes. Fortunately Warehouse 13 also does it well.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I also liked it. Hilarious episode. The claymation part was a homage to the Rankin-Bass TV Christmas specials from the 60's (Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer). The ability to do dramedy is something I will miss when Eureka goes. Fortunately Warehouse 13 also does it well.
Rudy the Black Nosed Sleddog?

;)

Yes, I, too, was reminded of the old Rankin/Bass shows. The s'ninja made me think of the bad guy that Kris Kringle tamed (even though, apparently, s'ninjas cannot be tamed).

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
Ya, I had to laugh about Princess Jo. ;) Or as they called her "Jo White".

It breaks my heart that they've cancelled Eureka, but are still running those stupid "reality" shows like that wrestling garbage that is fiction, rather than science fiction or fantasy.

It also seems that SyFy's sister channel, USA, is about to go the "reality" television route as well. How long will it take them to cancel shows we love on that channel and replace them with MORE wrestling, Ghost Home Decorators, etc?

Yeah it sucks, When W13, Sanctuary, and Eureka end not sure what else to watch on the network. It kinda sucks with Reality TV because they don't have to perform as well as scripted shows to be considered profitable. Scripted shows like Eureka costs more and they are under more pressure to have better ratings. Also, DVR plays a big part with scripted shows. People tend to DVR a scripted show over a Reality show. When you look at the true total viewers, more people are actually watching the Scripted shows, but they are not all live and that is what hurts the drama/Scripted series.

Rudy the Black Nosed Sleddog?

;)

Yes, I, too, was reminded of the old Rankin/Bass shows. The s'ninja made me think of the bad guy that Kris Kringle tamed (even though, apparently, s'ninjas cannot be tamed).

It was funny that Rudy was voiced by Edward James Olmos. Just kept thinking about Adama in my head, lol.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Yeah it sucks, When W13, Sanctuary, and Eureka end not sure what else to watch on the network. It kinda sucks with Reality TV because they don't have to perform as well as scripted shows to be considered profitable. Scripted shows like Eureka costs more and they are under more pressure to have better ratings. Also, DVR plays a big part with scripted shows. People tend to DVR a scripted show over a Reality show. When you look at the true total viewers, more people are actually watching the Scripted shows, but they are not all live and that is what hurts the drama/Scripted series.

It was funny that Rudy was voiced by Edward James Olmos. Just kept thinking about Adama in my head, lol.
"We're not dancin' and prancin' around here..."

Whenever I see Dr Drummer, I can't help but think of Dr Spaceman. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I'm not as worried as some about USA and SyFy both being overrun by reality TV. SyFy may be but nothing is certain. Remember reality TV looked like it would overrun network TV but it didn't happen. They learned that too many reality shows simply caused all of them to lose appeal.

USA is a different sort of fish, it has made itself on the back of originally produced scripted shows going back to Monk and today with Burn Notice and others. It is a VERY profitable property and as such the bean counters at Comcast aren't going to discard that successful formula.

Briangate78

GateFans Noob
I'm not as worried as some about USA and SyFy both being overrun by reality TV. SyFy may be but nothing is certain. Remember reality TV looked like it would overrun network TV but it didn't happen. They learned that too many reality shows simply caused all of them to lose appeal.

USA is a different sort of fish, it has made itself on the back of originally produced scripted shows going back to Monk and today with Burn Notice and others. It is a VERY profitable property and as such the bean counters at Comcast aren't going to discard that successful formula.

Not all Reality shows make it, and when they tank, they nosedive with no survivors.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Not all Reality shows make it, and when they tank, they nosedive with no survivors.
Then let us hope that NBC Universal recognizes Fail more quickly on the USA Network than they do in their incarnation as SyFy.

I despise reality programming. I know too many folks here in Los Angeles who are losing their jobs over it. Quite frankly, it pisses me off.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
I thought this episode was fun - as it was meant to be. I liked how they brought back the "Santa Claus" actor from last year.