Eternals

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Recently released on Disney+. Been waiting to watch it. Finally got around to it today.

What a snore-fest. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I honestly don't feel a need to ever watch it again. Maybe that'll change in the future though. Maybe it'll have some enigmatic effect that unfurls while I'm sleeping and somehow subconsciously arouses my interest. But I sincerely doubt it.

What a difference with the earlier Marvel movies! Each of these characters was boring. The story was boring. The deviants were boring and felt like rejects from some dumb videogame. The reveal didn't captivate me. Aside from being boring, some characters were also downright annoying. The flying dude with the laser eyes reminded me a lot of the Homelander character from The Boys, except Homelander is a lot less dull. Then the kid character, ugh. Obviously meant to serve as a dual-gender person. By that I mean someone who looks like they could either be a boy or a girl, or perhaps both, or neither. It is naturally left up in the air. Not that I have anything against that, except when it's so blatantly incorporated on purpose, just like the eternals feature characters from many different ethnicities. And of course the obligatory gay eternal. It is just dripping with wokeness. I'm sure you'll all love it.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
There are good reasons The Eternals was a massive money loser, and you listed some of them nicely. The story was flat out dumb, the characters were not charismatic at all and did not invest the viewer in them at all. The acting was lifeless and there were too many characters also.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Recently released on Disney+. Been waiting to watch it. Finally got around to it today.

What a snore-fest. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I honestly don't feel a need to ever watch it again. Maybe that'll change in the future though. Maybe it'll have some enigmatic effect that unfurls while I'm sleeping and somehow subconsciously arouses my interest. But I sincerely doubt it.

What a difference with the earlier Marvel movies! Each of these characters was boring. The story was boring. The deviants were boring and felt like rejects from some dumb videogame. The reveal didn't captivate me. Aside from being boring, some characters were also downright annoying. The flying dude with the laser eyes reminded me a lot of the Homelander character from The Boys, except Homelander is a lot less dull. Then the kid character, ugh. Obviously meant to serve as a dual-gender person. By that I mean someone who looks like they could either be a boy or a girl, or perhaps both, or neither. It is naturally left up in the air. Not that I have anything against that, except when it's so blatantly incorporated on purpose, just like the eternals feature characters from many different ethnicities. And of course the obligatory gay eternal. It is just dripping with wokeness. I'm sure you'll all love it.
yup

fell asleep at least 3 times

even when i rewound to give the benefit of the doubt in case i missed a point-- any point-- i still get nothing

the ONLY item if interest i did get was that goofy shiny guy at the end with the "racist" >can we white folk say that in this way? < Irish sounding leprechaun looking alien --->> did they say that this shiny golden boy was Thanos's brother?

add on edit

maybe-- may ---be its the editing? like if it got retreated like that Justice League film did a few yrs back did by the original director, than it might make sense? idk?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yep, Thanos' brother, that's what they said.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I was so disappointed in this movie. I could not get vested in any of the characters that much, and the ones you are most vested in die quickly and again the rest that are left.....who really cares that much, not me.
The movie would be closer to the movie Childhood's End in it's nature of looking at the bigger picture, but sadly that is supposed to be a part of Marvel, which just dirties the whole franchise.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is probably the worst Marvel movie I ever saw. The script was a mess, the director clearly had no idea how to handle something this epic and it had too many characters. With TEN "heroes" no one got development or an arc and as a result I cared about none of them.

I said this in an earlier thread - the MCU right now is in trouble. The only Phase 4 film that is an actual hit was the one Marvel really did not take the lead in making - Sony did (Spider Man No Way Home). The others have either lost money or been barely breakeven. The TV offerings have gotten very tepid reception (WandaVision positive, Loki and Winter Soldier negative and the reactions to Hawkeye were meh - I thought it was ok).

I think a lot of it is the universe has gotten too convoluted, especially because they did not do a full reset in Endgame. There is just too much stuff viewers need to know from past films to really process the current ones. They REALLY need to do a universe change or something to totally clean the slate so simpler stories can work - which they actually DID in No Way Home. In that ending the Tom Holland Peter Parker can now be Spiderman with no reference at all or need to know anything about the MCU.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This is probably the worst Marvel movie I ever saw. The script was a mess, the director clearly had no idea how to handle something this epic and it had too many characters. With TEN "heroes" no one got development or an arc and as a result I cared about none of them.

I said this in an earlier thread - the MCU right now is in trouble. The only Phase 4 film that is an actual hit was the one Marvel really did not take the lead in making - Sony did (Spider Man No Way Home). The others have either lost money or been barely breakeven. The TV offerings have gotten very tepid reception (WandaVision positive, Loki and Winter Soldier negative and the reactions to Hawkeye were meh - I thought it was ok).

I think a lot of it is the universe has gotten too convoluted, especially because they did not do a full reset in Endgame. There is just too much stuff viewers need to know from past films to really process the current ones. They REALLY need to do a universe change or something to totally clean the slate so simpler stories can work - which they actually DID in No Way Home. In that ending the Tom Holland Peter Parker can now be Spiderman with no reference at all or need to know anything about the MCU.
i kind of liked falcon and winter soldier .. no crazy powers and it tied in/followed on with what was in the films

loki? didn't get past ep 2.. wanda? i read it will have tie ins to many new films and the Agents of SWORD show

which i am still wondering-- if agents of shield is no longer canon- as in, didn't happen- and the same characters are going to be in SWORD (they are) they will they re-explain issues like Colson not being dead and Quake's powers?

all of the other movies they are talking about? yeah.. seems to be way too much. if they are made anything like eternals? not interested

disney marvel is defi going for quantity over quality

amazing how the same company can allow one sub- LUCASARTS- do as they are with the TV series, and another, MARVEL, be so bad

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I was right. Sleeping on it has not changed my opinion.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
@Lord Ba'al , @Joelist do you think it would matter at all IF it were re-edited --whatever it was they did with that DC movie a few yrs back- Justice League?

it seems- when i could stay awake, that some scenes wanted to make sense and be followed by other scenes that made sense as well-- but never happened

dont really care, just wondering what you thought-- conversation :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Alas unlikely. The reason The Snyder Cut worked was that his film originally was coherent and had character development and such but was butchered by Joss Whedon after Snyder had to leave due to family emergency. So to get the Snyder cut was mostly filming some additional footage combined with reverting out Whedon's stuff and restoring what Snyder had originally made.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
@Lord Ba'al , @Joelist do you think it would matter at all IF it were re-edited --whatever it was they did with that DC movie a few yrs back- Justice League?

it seems- when i could stay awake, that some scenes wanted to make sense and be followed by other scenes that made sense as well-- but never happened

dont really care, just wondering what you thought-- conversation :)
I'm sure they could make some improvements if they have more footage than they used and maybe included some and cut some other parts out, however, I doubt it would make much of a difference as to the overall enjoyment of the movie. The story is the backbone after all, and it sucks. Some planet sized transformer who doesn't move at all is the creator of the universe(s) or galaxies or something. And planets are used as incubators for new planet sized transformers. But they somehow require a certain threshold of a population of an intelligent species in order for the mega-non-transformer to come to life. Bleh! And then this all powerful universe creating immobile being creates some tiny creatures who are the eternals who are apparently some sort of mini robots (compared to itself) who have the task of making sure they herd the intelligent species appropriately, without them knowing this. And the asshole erases their memories time after time so they can keep doing the same thing over and over again. I mean, need I say more? What kind of crap is that to build something awesome out of?