Enemy at the Gates: The Beginning of the End?

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
I'm wondering how you all feel about SGA's final episode. I did not like Enemy at the Gates. The concept was a good one. It makes sense that in the finale of SGA, the Wraith invade Earth. But the execution was terrible. I personally think it foreshadowed the awfulness of SGU. First, it needed to be a two parter with plenty of buildup, not a quick one-off story. Most of all, it was completely unrealistic (a hint of things to come with SGU?). I could go on about the WTF moments I had with that episode. Here they are and feel free to add to this:

1) A Wraith Dart is able to destroy all of Area 51 (and seemingly the fortified underground bunkers beneath it) by crashing into it kamikaze style. I get that TPTB wanted to remove the Antartica Chair from the equation, but that was still dumb. Have a massive fleet of Wraith attack Earth and have the Antartica Chair run out of drones. That certainly makes more sense than taking out Area 51 with a Dart.

2) Wormhole drive. We all know Rodney and Zelenka are brilliant. They've been pushed to the limits and pulled off some incredible come-from-behind scientific victories. But somehow, within a half an hour, they are able to develop and outfit Atlantis with the technology to teleport from the Pegasus Galaxy to Earth. Really? 'Nuff said on that.

3) How is it possible that the Stargate program is still a secret? How in the hell did no one notice that space battle? If you look up in the sky at the right time, you can actually see the International Space Station. More specifically, you see the sunlight reflecting off of it. If person can see that with the naked eye (nevermind with a telescope), then anyone could spot a massive battle between two ships in Earth's orbit. Also, the presence of two massive ships such as those would cause earthquakes. You couldn't possibly miss it. And Atlantis entering the atmosphere and landing near the Golden Gate Bridge, everyone would see that. Even if the city was cloaked, you would still see Atlantis as it entered the atmosphere. Apart from being totally unrealistic, it was a cop out. TPTB could have ended Atlantis with the public learning about the existence of the Stargate program. It would have been an epic and worthy ending. Unfortunately, TPTB weren't bold enough to do that.

In summary, I felt that SGA did not get the ending it deserved. It was a quick, dissapointing ending to make way for SGU. I think that Enemy at the Gates was the beginning of the decline that we are seeing now. Thoughts?

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
I could go on for hours, but i'll summarize

EATG was the shitty appetizer for SGU.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Wow. I should have just said that. Haha. It gets the same point across much more efficiently.
To make it even more poignant, i've written almost a million words into a virtual continuation of SGA which combines what i believe is the best of all three series i thought BAMSR and EATG were so pathetic. :) It's a little esoteric though, so be warned :P (click my sig for link)

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
To make it even more poignant, i've written almost a million words into a virtual continuation of SGA which combines what i believe is the best of all three series i thought BAMSR and EATG were so pathetic. :) It's a little esoteric though, so be warned :P (click my sig for link)

You didn't like BAMSR??
I thought it was pretty good. It left a few questions sure, and it got retconned later, but as an actual episode, or more importantly, a satisfying end to a story arc, I thoujght it was pretty good.

Hey, isn't freedom of thought a good thing :D

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
You didn't like BAMSR??
I thought it was pretty good. It left a few questions sure, and it got retconned later, but as an actual episode, or more importantly, a satisfying end to a story arc, I thoujght it was pretty good.

Hey, isn't freedom of thought a good thing :D
It was so predictable. It almost felt like watching DragonBall Z

Cell/Asurans: Ho ho! I am stronger than you! I am mighty and unstoppable1 Ho ho!

Goku/Atlantis: Oh yeah? I just learned how to teleport/Asgard Beam weapons! HO HO!

*They fight, holy crap it's a mega battle and it looks like Goku/Atlantis is winning!*

Cell/Asurans: Ah you are strong indeed, but there's something you should know! I have a PLOT DEVICE which will protect me! (Transforms, or regroups into stronger force)

Goku/Atlantis: Aw nuts, are you serious? Dammit, i'll have to rely on my Spirit Bomb/Plot Device to defeat you, but i'll need help. Everyone! Distract him/them while i get this ready!

DBZ peeps/Travelers/Wraith: We'll hold him off!

*Big fight, some people get hurt, maybe Krillin/Travelers get killed, they're unimportant and too weak anyway*

Goku/Atlantis: Must... keep... fighting, will not let distraction/plot device snafu which is solved by other plot device hinder me!

Cell/Asurans: Huh? What is this?

Goku/Atlantis: HA! EAT SPIRIT BOMB/TECHNOPLOT DEVICE OF DEATH!"

Cell/Asurans: AAAHHHH!!! *Pwn*

Seriously. They COULD have come up with something that isn't so easily comparable to the most repetitive anime ever :P

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
another WTF moment

the fourth big WTF moment was Lorne coming back with the ZPMs. that todd had hidden...all those early eps (yeah i know only 3) looking for zpms and they don't even show Lorne and crew finding them...just bringing them back! :rolleyes:

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
Lots of rushed and WTF moments in that episode.
I believe most of the problems would have been solved if they had done a two-parter as planned with the second part opening season 6. Or - after learning about the cancellation - getting rid of one of the bad episodes of season 5, like Inquisition or Brainstorm (with the additional bonus of killing McKeller).

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
We all agree with Josh. We only need three votes ppl. SOUND OFF...AYE!!! once we have two more aye's the motion to pass will pass with impugnity. Did I spell that right and are we agree to all of the numbered points because I think we should.

Darth Atlantis

GateFans Noob
I'm wondering how you all feel about SGA's final episode. I did not like Enemy at the Gates. The concept was a good one. It makes sense that in the finale of SGA, the Wraith invade Earth. But the execution was terrible. I personally think it foreshadowed the awfulness of SGU. First, it needed to be a two parter with plenty of buildup, not a quick one-off story. Most of all, it was completely unrealistic (a hint of things to come with SGU?). I could go on about the WTF moments I had with that episode. Here they are and feel free to add to this:

3) How is it possible that the Stargate program is still a secret? How in the hell did no one notice that space battle? If you look up in the sky at the right time, you can actually see the International Space Station. More specifically, you see the sunlight reflecting off of it. If person can see that with the naked eye (nevermind with a telescope), then anyone could spot a massive battle between two ships in Earth's orbit. Also, the presence of two massive ships such as those would cause earthquakes. You couldn't possibly miss it. And Atlantis entering the atmosphere and landing near the Golden Gate Bridge, everyone would see that. Even if the city was cloaked, you would still see Atlantis as it entered the atmosphere. Apart from being totally unrealistic, it was a cop out. TPTB could have ended Atlantis with the public learning about the existence of the Stargate program. It would have been an epic and worthy ending. Unfortunately, TPTB weren't bold enough to do that.

In summary, I felt that SGA did not get the ending it deserved. It was a quick, dissapointing ending to make way for SGU. I think that Enemy at the Gates was the beginning of the decline that we are seeing now. Thoughts?

I co-sign the most with number 3 and yes, enemy at the gates wasn't as exciting as it should have been! Conceptually I loved the idea of a superhive ship, as I always wondered what would happen if the Wraith could integrate a ZPM! Enemy At The Gates just seemed rush in my opinion, but looking back it would have been interesting if this became the episode where the whole world became aware of the stargate program, and the next series would deal with all of the complications that that would bring. You thought the IAO was a bitch could you imagine having to deal with fucking public opinion!

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
I co-sign the most with number 3 and yes, enemy at the gates wasn't as exciting as it should have been! Conceptually I loved the idea of a superhive ship, as I always wondered what would happen if the Wraith could integrate a ZPM! Enemy At The Gates just seemed rush in my opinion, but looking back it would have been interesting if this became the episode where the whole world became aware of the stargate program, and the next series would deal with all of the complications that that would bring. You thought the IAO was a bitch could you imagine having to deal with fucking public opinion!

OMG I could see Diane Sawyer (ABC's moronic news anchor) asking Teal'c.."don't you think you were a bit harsh on the System Lords? Wouldn't it have been better if you just gave Apophis a hug instead of killing him several times?" :rolleyes:

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I don't know what all the fuss is about. It may not have been the perfect episode but I quite enjoyed it.

The only quibble I have is that it should have been stretched over 2 or 3 episodes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I think EATG was thrown together to end the show once they had SGU in the bag.

1) A Wraith Dart is able to destroy all of Area 51 (and seemingly the fortified underground bunkers beneath it) by crashing into it kamikaze style. I get that TPTB wanted to remove the Antartica Chair from the equation, but that was still dumb. Have a massive fleet of Wraith attack Earth and have the Antartica Chair run out of drones. That certainly makes more sense than taking out Area 51 with a Dart.

2) Wormhole drive. We all know Rodney and Zelenka are brilliant. They've been pushed to the limits and pulled off some incredible come-from-behind scientific victories. But somehow, within a half an hour, they are able to develop and outfit Atlantis with the technology to teleport from the Pegasus Galaxy to Earth. Really? 'Nuff said on that.

I think that EATG was thrown together. Wormhole Drive? :roll:. If it could get Atlantis to Earth in seconds, then it could get to Destiny in hours using the same principle. In fact, they could actually outfit one of the earth ships with this worhmole drive. Its still now in the canon, is it not? To me, EATG and all the events associated with it have nothing to do with SGU. I dont see SGU as being part of the same Stargate universe as SGA and SG-1 is in. Its permanently in a different dimension in an alternate Stargate universe not a part of SG-1 or SGA. When its over, I dont want it to be counted in as part of canon because it doesnt have anything to do with Stargate in any real way.

TPTB knew Battlestar was ending, they had an idea, they had scripts and they wanted to get the orphaned BSG fans and still keep the disappointed SGA fans and have a new hit show which was dark and edgy and "hip". They were bored, and EATG was an afterthought. At this point in time, TPTB thought they would be sitting on the laurels they got from SGU's fantastic success, phenomenal DVD sales at Christmastime (when they released the half set), and numerous awards. None of those things happened and now they are stuck with a zonk.

I think EATG was an intermission, not an ending. Only a movie or a properly done fanfic could close it for me. SG-1 got a proper ending.

agent509

GateFans Noob
I agree, while the ending was good (them ending up at earth) it was extremely rushed. Although I don't think that the secret of the stargate should have been revealed, because keeping the stargate a secret is part of what 'stargate' is. But yeah, the wormhole drive was a real wtf moment. And good point, it could have been used to get to destiny, rescue everyone, and come back. Heck with this wormhole drive, the stargate isn't even of that much use anymore.