Dr. Who - a series for the ages

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
The first run was good up until Tom Baker's exit. Then, it kind of went downhill for me.

The second run I just can't complain about. From Eccleston to Tenant to Smith, brilliantly different yet similar character interpretations.

Well, that's my thread starter for this forum.

trelaine

GateFans Noob
3 cheers for schlock

I've always loved Dr Who when I could watch it on the PBS on Sat. mornings decades ago! It actually is a fond memory for me, watching with my young son, the cheesey effects yet being so engrossed in the adventures.

Everyone likes Baker. Yes, he was quite the character but he was also the longest running Dr. so that might help too. Maybe the writing got better then, I don't know. All I know is I liked each Dr. and I enjoyed seeing a new aspect of his personality & taste come out with each incarnation. We all are a bit multidimensional like that aren't we? At least I can relate to that and I doubt I'm the only one!

I was disappointed that the 9th Dr only had one season. And what will they do when this newest one goes? I thought he only gets 12 regenerations. So he only has one left? Then show over? how is this going to work?

Bluce Ree

I've always loved Dr Who when I could watch it on the PBS on Sat. mornings decades ago! It actually is a fond memory for me, watching with my young son, the cheesey effects yet being so engrossed in the adventures.

Everyone likes Baker. Yes, he was quite the character but he was also the longest running Dr. so that might help too. Maybe the writing got better then, I don't know. All I know is I liked each Dr. and I enjoyed seeing a new aspect of his personality & taste come out with each incarnation. We all are a bit multidimensional like that aren't we? At least I can relate to that and I doubt I'm the only one!

I was disappointed that the 9th Dr only had one season. And what will they do when this newest one goes? I thought he only gets 12 regenerations. So he only has one left? Then show over? how is this going to work?

I thought they had explained that one away a while ago. I don't think Hartnell to Troughton was his first regeneration.

Tom Baker and John Pertwee were my favorites from the previous series. So far, I like all three reincarnations of the current series.

Leo(T.C.K.)

GateFans Noob
I am getting my way through the third season of the new series...the ones with Tennant now...there were some really bad episodes, I have never seen the old doctor who series, mainly because they were not aired in here at all I believe.
But as I said in the old forums, I really enjoy the series, even though it is cheesy, it has a great sense of adventure and it's not dumb at all. Even being progressive in some terms...

Dr. Weir

GateFans Noob
Doctor Who's writing kicks Stargates ass! Did anyone see the last series 5. It was amazing. It shows you with good writing Sci-fi is so much more than just flashy special effects and mean looking aliens.

I'll admit that I'm dense, so can anyone explain the series finale to me?

Where did Rory come from? And did Amy remember The Doctor back into existense? :confused:

Is that what happened? I'm not going to act like there haven't been far-fetched conclusions on the Eccleston/Tenant series, but shessshhhh.....

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

I grew up watching the old shows & loved Tom Baker but it is correct that after him it did go a little cack, the Doctor on TV when I was little was Sylvester McCoy, a good Doctor but was given poor material to work with. The newest incarnation though is brilliant, Chris Eccleston was a little to mundane for me, he was to Doctor Who what Timothy Dalton was to James Bond (always had a face on him like somebody had just run through his freshly-laid cement), David Tennant was by far the best Doctor hands down (& I don't say that on a whim, I say it as it is fact) & Matt Smith is quite a funny Doctor but his Doctor seems almost as though he has some kind of mild retardation as he seems away with the fairies but anyhoo.

When I was a kid I used to watch Doctor Who, Star Trek & all manner of other sci fi shows/movies & got picked on for it but I slogged on, nowadays because of the new well-funded, young & hip reboots it's fucking cool to like ST & DW & every fucker does! GGGRRRR!! :( Although there is one saving grace with SGU (although it's well-funded, it's neither young nor hip) :D

Where did Rory come from? And did Amy remember The Doctor back into existense? :confused:

Is that what happened? I'm not going to act like there haven't been far-fetched conclusions on the Eccleston/Tenant series, but shessshhhh.....

Seeing the Doctor being helplessly put into the Pandorica & the fact that all his enemies tried to weave the myths about the pandorica into history & the whole thing was just so clever the second to last episode.............. but the end of the finale was just a nonsense & total let down. I too sat with my mouth wide open (implied facepalm) thinking "what just happened?".

& the question about that mysterious voice trying to destroy the TARDIS & the universe is still ongoing (it sounded like Davros a bit) I would be very interested to know who it is.

The end of the show or the end of Matt Smith?

The Dr. Who news of the day is that they're taking the second series of episodes with Matt Smith as the Doctor and splitting them into two of what we in America would call 'seasons'. I believe that Matt was only contracted for three series, so maybe this is their way of fulfulling his deal?

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of this series. While not a fan of Mr. Smith, I still tried to catch some of the episodes simply because I've always liked Dr. Who. And campy sci-fi is always fun!

Deity59

GateFans Noob
The Dr. Who news of the day is that they're taking the second series of episodes with Matt Smith as the Doctor and splitting them into two of what we in America would call 'seasons'. I believe that Matt was only contracted for three series, so maybe this is their way of fulfulling his deal?

I hope this isn't the beginning of the end of this series. While not a fan of Mr. Smith, I still tried to catch some of the episodes simply because I've always liked Dr. Who. And campy sci-fi is always fun!

I doubt his contract would actually state number of seasons. Most likely it would be number of episodes.

Did they give an official reason for the change? There could be a lot of reasons to do this.

Bluce Ree

I doubt his contract would actually state number of seasons. Most likely it would be number of episodes.

Did they give an official reason for the change? There could be a lot of reasons to do this.

Maybe some clown decided to take a page from the SGU marketing manual and box up DVD sets as series "6.0" and "6.5". :icon_neutral:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I believe that silly practice started with the Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica.

I agree, silly practice indeed. Then again, it seems most shows have incredibly short seasons now. It's like they announce the season finale immediately following the season premiere. I don't see how having long breaks between "seasons" helps keep the viewers attention. Alot can happen in the interim, I can get distracted and find something else to watch. Just give me a good old fashioned long season from start to finish and I'll be a loyal viewer. Simple.

Chucknician

GateFans Noob
I started to watch the doctor when John Pertwee played him and it was really ggod to watch. Tom Baker played the part brilliantly and Peter davidson did not do too badly after him. Then it all went to rat shit after that with Sylvester McCoy and Colin Baker. I never bothered watching when thet were on and drifted away from the whole thing until Tennant took the role. Big improvement and got me back into it. My only complaint now is that they are using the old enemies time and time again which is getting a bit dated now.

My ramblings on Dr Who :redface:

Pertwee was my main Doctor to, though I do just about remember Patrick Troughton, he had the yetis a lot as his enemy if I remember correctly. It always used to be on BBC 1 Saturday, I think quite early on, kinda like late afternoon early evening. I know one of Patrick Troughton companion was Jamie aka Fraser Hines who later went on to be Joe Sudgeon in Emmerdale, coz I had the biggest crush on him EVER (not that he was even that good looking but I was looking out of the eyes of a little girlie " ha ha and he worn kilt to, those legs " ha ha"):joy:

But Pertwee was the best well up and until he left in Planet of the Spiders when he became Tom Baker whom I hated, well for about one episode then HE was my favourite Doctor. And Sarah Jane she just suited them both really well as a companion. But when Peter Davidson took over ( had a crush on him), was a little unsure but as I liked him in All Creature Great and Small, it help ease him into the role as the Dr and he did pretty decent job IMHO. Think he played Tristen Farnham in “All Creatures” the loveable screw up to his big brother ( cant think of the characters name now too many years ago " ha ha").

But the Colin Baker years not so good IMO, all can I remember there, is he had some annoying assistants but still loyally watched. Now Sylvester McCoy never got that one much and he had that horrible asstitant Ace I think her name was or was it with Colin Baker not sure now but she was just " :eek:" and one of had Bonnie “ bloody Langford“ as companion, god knows why they picked her. But having rewatched Sylvester McCoy’s Doctor, it isn’t that bad he himself does an ok job but the scripts were bloody horrible.:(

Now that god-awful movie with Paul McCann well, was just plain bad again only IMO. It was nice that they had some sort of continuity with Sylvester McCoy regenerating into Paul McCann but that’s it as a plus point for me, the film is just (well it’s wiped from my memory because it was so horrid). :icon_mad:

Really was excited when Dr Who returned to our screens but was so disappointed with Christopher Eccleston though I don’t blame him all that much just some very bad writing, but he and it got better though never liked Rose very much. David Tennant was like a breath of fresh air he actually felt like a Doctor of old to me, he was brilliant and a very hard act to follow. And boy, what a bad choice in “what’s his face” they now have. I read it in the paper when it was first announced and thought “OMFG no who’s this, why” and then when I heard him speak well that was it. I knew I was done with Dr Who. :(

Watched David Tenants last one saw him regenerate into “what’s his face” and have NOT watched another Dr Who since. Sadly I can’t stand the actor playing the new Doctor, don’t really know why just don’t. There is something about him I just don’t like so don’t watch. Can’t wait for the next incarnation hopefully then I’ll start watching again. Still long live Dr Who and hopefully it can go on for many more years to come but 1963 to date aint a bad run including the Peter Cushing Movies as well not bad indeed me thinks. ;)