Doctor Who Christmas Special Season 7 - The Snowmen

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry for the repost, but I noticed that the thread title I used before was pretty uninformative and this forum software does not allow editing of titles. So it is copied and pasted below:

Well, Tuesday BBC broadcast the Doctor Who Christmas Special. Titled "The Snowmen", it actually had more going on than the initial viewing let on. Some of the things that happen:

1) Introduction of Clara, the new companion. Or did they?

2) Confirmation that this is somehow the same character Jenna Louise Coleman played in an earlier episode - where she had been turned into a Dalek and later died. So we left the episode with a pretty big mystery, exactly what is she? How is it she had died twice now and yet still lives?

3) A minor character reset for the Doctor - he seems a touch quieter now. Also a new costume - he looks even more Troughton-esque than before.

4) New TARDIS interior - I like it. It has a retro vibe back to the original series.

5) Hint dropping about the upcoming episodes. It turns out the villain was the Great Intelligence, last seen in a pair of Second (Patrick Troughton) Doctor episodes way back in the late 60s (The Yeti). So now we know after all those decades how the Intelligence got to Earth.

Actually not a bad episode overall. Acting was good and the plot moved pretty well. I will admit that I am a little tired of Madame Vastra, Jenny and Strax. Once was entertaining but on a regular basis they get a little annoying. But really that is a minor thing. All in all it is a nice Christmas episode, and plotwise it had more going on than these Christmas special usually do (usually they are one offs and this one plays integrally into the series story arcs).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It looks like a promising season. When does it start? April?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes April.

I even realized that the show has new opening credits too - and those look like a modernized version of the Troughton ones.