Doctor S08E12 "Death in Heaven"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Tennant started out okay but he got more and more EMO as his time progressed. Also he had the "timelord victorious" and "lonely god" crap going. His acting was good but the writing got progressively more maudlin as his time went on culminating in possibly the worst piece of televised science fiction in history (The End of Time).

Uh huh.
Forgive me if I question that, Godzilla.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually Smith did not use that line to any great extent - Tennant was mister I'm so sorry.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
139784120585.jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Uh huh.
Forgive me if I question that, Godzilla.

Which part are you questioning?

That Tennant's doctor got progressively more and more EMO is pretty well known. It's been a point in Who fandom and while his Doctor was popular when he left many were glad for exactly that reason. And I'm not alone in the other opinions either - a lot of Whovians got tired of the lonely god and timelord victorious stuff and a lot hated The End of Time, especially the way overwrought regeneration sequence.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Tennant could pull off the EMO far better than Smith could.

Then again, I would not call Tennant EMO either so, whatever.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds like BBC has the final numbers in for Capaldi's first season and they are VERY pleased.

In the UK it averaged 7.4m per episode which matches last season and will likely rise further as they have yet to air the Christmas Special which is always a big ratings attraction. In the US it was up 23% over any other season with the premiere even taking the top cable slot that week. Ditto in Canada (23% increase). This does not count the 19 million iTunes requests for S8 either. Or Amazon or other streaming services.

I'm pleasantly surprised too. Moffat took a chance when (starting with Name of the Doctor while Matt Smith was the Doctor) he drastically changed the whole tone of the series. And it worked. Personally I loved the more somber feel and tone and the much more mature and pretty much totally un-clowned doctor. It seems it worked with the audience as a whole too.