Deity Recommends

Deity59

GateFans Noob
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Due to time dilation and the vast distances of interstellar war, one grunt is in the military for 1000 years. Equal parts war novel, sci-fi and what happens to human beings when they are totally uprooted in time.

The Forever War

Read the editorial quotes

A

AdamTM

I heard about this book forever *badum-ching* but i never could find it.

Since i want my sf books in english its so fucking hard to get them here if i dont import them.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
AdamTM said:
I heard about this book forever *badum-ching* but i never could find it.

Since i want my sf books in english its so fucking hard to get them here if i dont import them.
I order my books through Amazon (in Europe, not from the US). Sure, they're more expensive, but sometimes I get a good deal through one of the marketplace shops that even makes up for the 3 Euros shipping fee. E.g. the edition Deity is recommending costs 11,54 Euros at Amazon.de.

Thanks for the tip, Deity!

P. J.

GateFans Noob
I still sometimes order from Amazon (got my copy of Forever War from there), but since I discovered bookdepository.com, I use Amazon as a backup when something isn't available at bookdepository. They send each book in its own separate package, no matter how many books were in the order -- however, the shipping is free.
Thus, I get cheaper books than what books usually cost here (but no wonder, we've got prices of the West and salaries of the East).

A

AdamTM

P. J. said:
I still sometimes order from Amazon (got my copy of Forever War from there), but since I discovered bookdepository.com, I use Amazon as a backup when something isn't available at bookdepository. They send each book in its own separate package, no matter how many books were in the order -- however, the shipping is free.
Thus, I get cheaper books than what books usually cost here (but no wonder, we've got prices of the West and salaries of the East).

Dude, you win, bookdepository is awesome!

thanks for the tip!

Deity59

GateFans Noob
OK sticking to military sci-fi my next recommendation is the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. On Basilisk Station is the first book of twelve (plus a few side books). Awesome reads with a lot of action and great character development. Nothing beats a giant interstellar war with lots of political intrigue!