De-Extinction

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
If you wanna discuss metaphysics, I'm game. I'm reading Kant right now. There's a thing known as invariance in math; it likely has other names in other science fields. Basically, it has to do with some concept that is fixed, does not change under different circumstances. It's sort of this constancy. Kant tries to figure out invariant things in metaphysics within our reasoning; he calls them universal laws.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
lol yeah, why I said in a controlled setting. But wouldn't you want to know how primordial life came to be? And you have to consider the environment in which they came to be, very extreme and rapidly changing (in geologic sense). That means they had to constantly evolve to changing conditions. I'd love to know how such evolution take place and in relation what we could potentially do to adjust our own course of evolution. Perhaps even figure out how to adjust ourselves for planetary excursions without adjusting or setting up an environment to our fixed current genetic make-up. Also, mostly I wanna fly.

Any observation of evolution that primitive would have to be artificially influenced in a controlled environment. If that's the case then we can do it now without reviving any form of primordial virus or bacteria. :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Any observation of evolution that primitive would have to be artificially influenced in a controlled environment. If that's the case then we can do it now without reviving any form of primordial virus or bacteria. :D

So How is Panama buddy? :lol:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
If you wanna discuss metaphysics, I'm game. I'm reading Kant right now. There's a thing known as invariance in math; it likely has other names in other science fields. Basically, it has to do with some concept that is fixed, does not change under different circumstances. It's sort of this constancy. Kant tries to figure out invariant things in metaphysics within our reasoning; he calls them universal laws.

wouldn't extinction of a species (by whatever reason) be a type of constant? and if so, what does the math say on the consequences of undoing that constant (de-extinction)?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan

Yeah, but would be interesting to see how biogenesis took place, how we got from those simple organisms to the complex organisms. I'm almost always in favour of learning more.
wouldn't extinction of a species (by whatever reason) be a type of constant? and if so, what does the math say on the consequences of undoing that constant (de-extinction)?
What do you mean? I was sort of talking about constancy in our reasoning, how we reason and such.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Kant is more about the metaphysics of morality is he not?

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
He dipped his toes in everything. He did have works on ethics, but I thought more people knew him for his work on metaphysics, namely Critique of Pure Reason and Prolegomena.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, but would be interesting to see how biogenesis took place, how we got from those simple organisms to the complex organisms. I'm almost always in favour of learning more.

What do you mean? I was sort of talking about constancy in our reasoning, how we reason and such.

The extinction of species-for whatever reason, is a constant and has effected the reality of today; if we re-introduce species-especially outside the lab-how will that effect our reality? Even "making things right" often has negative impact.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The extinction of species-for whatever reason, is a constant and has effected the reality of today; if we re-introduce species-especially outside the lab-how will that effect our reality? Even "making things right" often has negative impact.

Things are ALREADY right. The only exception I would probably make if it were up to me, is to revive species extincted by Man by overhunting. Much like the revival of the California Condor. I think a revival of the Dodo would be a good thing. But dinosaurs? NO WAY. Natural selection promoted mammals to the top of the food chain after the giant meteor hit, and their time (of the dinosaurs) has passed. Every species of dinosaur is gone and that is the way it should be. Species like the Wooly Mammoth and the Mastodon no longer have a niche to occupy. There are not even wild elephants living in North America, so where would they live outside of a controlled environment such as a zoo or a special compound? How would they respond to GMO foods which now permeate the plant kingdom?

Man should not be playing around with this technology in this fashion. We neither have the wisdom or the foresight to understand what it could mean to revive extincted species.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Things are ALREADY right. The only exception I would probably make if it were up to me, is to revive species extincted by Man by overhunting. Much like the revival of the California Condor. I think a revival of the Dodo would be a good thing. But dinosaurs? NO WAY. Natural selection promoted mammals to the top of the food chain after the giant meteor hit, and their time (of the dinosaurs) has passed. Every species of dinosaur is gone and that is the way it should be. Species like the Wooly Mammoth and the Mastodon no longer have a niche to occupy. There are not even wild elephants living in North America, so where would they live outside of a controlled environment such as a zoo or a special compound? How would they respond to GMO foods which now permeate the plant kingdom?

Man should not be playing around with this technology in this fashion. We neither have the wisdom or the foresight to understand what it could mean to revive extincted species.

"making things right" is just an expression i presume the "earthers" would use--i would be no more then a powerless observer either way and therefore-probably have a neutral opinion; "Oh mister forest ranger, the Department of Ag wants to release mastodons in the Allegheny National Forest (very close to my house)? Oh, Ok, I guess--can i shoot them if they get into my garden :anim_59:?"

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
"making things right" is just an expression i presume the "earthers" would use--i would be no more then a powerless observer either way and therefore-probably have a neutral opinion; "Oh mister forest ranger, the Department of Ag wants to release mastodons in the Allegheny National Forest (very close to my house)? Oh, Ok, I guess--can i shoot them if they get into my garden :anim_59:?"

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I was talking about a priori stuff, you're talking about a posteriori stuff. Mental processes and reasoning, etc.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Yeah, I was talking about a priori stuff, you're talking about a posteriori stuff. Mental processes and reasoning, etc.

Put down the Kant dude, it's messing with your MIIIIIIINNNNNNNNDDDDDDD!!!!!! :lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

No doubt, mastodons or woolly mammoths would be quite robust. But why revive them just because we can? Somebody's personal gloryquest, seeking fame, is going to mess everything up. You will have others reviving giant dragonflies (from preserved amber which is fossilized tree sap), or perhaps any of the other insects they have found:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wi...-prehistoric-insects-found-intact-within-huge

This is just dumb.