David Hewlett & Jewel Staite team up for State of Syn

heisenberg

Earl Grey
16259.jpeg

Former Stargate Alantis casts, David Hewlett & Jewel Staite, have teamed up to bring us, State of Syn. This series has short episodes, that are 5 minutes long. The basic plot of this science fiction series is, it is set in the year 2043, where private corporation have taken over government, and now rule the place.

Their job is basically to put an end to the private corporation's dominance. Told in a comic-book style, it is certainly unique in the way the...

This is definitely worth a watch!

Last edited by a moderator:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
bump...One word to describe this...AWFUL! I can't believe that David was involved in this. Well, I found this crap. However, you be the judge. .

Episode 1

Episode 2

Last edited:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
bump...One word to describe this...AWFUL! I can't believe they David was involved in this. Well, I found this crap. However, you be the judge...

I liked it. I suspect that each episode did not take more than a day of the actors' time, so their involvement did not prevent them from working on paying gigs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
and wtf? It's told like a comic strip...

I thought it was cool! Something fresh and new...it wouldnt work on television, but on the web it works quite well IMO.

I liked it. I suspect that each episode did not take more than a day of the actors' time, so their involvement did not prevent them from working on paying gigs.

I liked it too. :) This sort of comic book format works for this....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, this is worth another response...

First off, I have to say that in my opinion, this project is ahead of its time. I see it as exactly what it is...a web based, animated comic book. Play this on your phone or tablet! The experience to me is "animated comic book". I think it's BRILLIANT. When I was a kid, comic books were like still cartoons, and my mind did to them what this State of Syn is doing...animating it, imagining their voices and the places shown in the background of the pages and on the cover...reading balloons with text. This format does it without balloons. Not only that, but it could EASILY be redubbed with other languages. But the coolest thing is how they are experienced on a tablet or a phone. The closest thing I can compare it to is the cutscenes in video games. But those are still not the same as what David is doing here.

Nobody else is doing this.....

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
These 2 actors are fairly good-I do not understand why they can't get better roles in more films/shows.

What ever happened to that "project" Hewlett was working on?

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
These 2 actors are fairly good-I do not understand why they can't get better roles in more films/shows.

What ever happened to that "project" Hewlett was working on?

Jewel Staite has too much self respect to be a Hollywood starlet, and Hewlett is getting old and bald as the years go by.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Jewel Staite has too much self respect to be a Hollywood starlet, and Hewlett is getting old and bald as the years go by.

Agree on both. But still, they dont seem to have the staying power in these Canadian scifi drama stuff like say...Lexa Doig and Jennifer Spence do. I think Atlantis was Hewlitt's swan song on TV. But I still like this State of Syn thing...its new. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Jewel Staite actually walked away from Hollywood and moved back to Vancouver. From what I gather she takes parts if they interest her while also blogging and other such things. Her blog is kind of unusual but funny:

http://happyopu.net/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Jewel Staite actually walked away from Hollywood and moved back to Vancouver. From what I gather she takes parts if they interest her while also blogging and other such things. Her blog is kind of unusual but funny:

http://happyopu.net/

Well, one can hope then she is but one of the smart few who make the most of the money she earned and learned to live modestly instead of like an over-hyped super star.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One does hope so. Based on what has been said about her in the past (costar interviews, crew interviews and such) she is the "anti-diva". Very good natured and easy to work with apparently.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
One does hope so. Based on what has been said about her in the past (costar interviews, crew interviews and such) she is the "anti-diva". Very good natured and easy to work with apparently.

Sherry Jackson knows her, and I posted a picture of her with Jewell and Chris Judge somewhere in these forums. :) Sherry says she is a jewel like her name. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When are they gonna make some more of these?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Annika's own personal trailer!

I really like this project. I cant wait for more to be released!

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Couldn't they afford some better hardware to make this thing? It looks like it was rendered on a smartphone.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Couldn't they afford some better hardware to make this thing? It looks like it was rendered on a smartphone.

Does it really matter? You could make something like this using lots of different consumer software. :) Im not sure much rendering is needed. But it looks like there was lots of (still) art created for this. Im really liking the format of this. A moving comic book.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just got a notice that there is another YouTube video added to their account.

Awwww...its not another episode though. :( I did subscribe to their channel just now. :) Are we the only two people here who like this project? I think it is fresh and new, and I also like the writing. The premise is cool. :)