Cult (Rockne S. O'Bannon)

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Just saw the trailer for this, and it looks like pretty intriguing. It's a show created by Rockne S. O'Bannon, the same guy who created Farscape as well as the upcoming show Defiance, so it definitely has someone with talent behind it. The only problem of course is that it's on The CW, which most of the time just means lots and lots of mediocre teen soapy stuff. But I'm at least going to give this show the benefit of the doubt and watch the pilot. Besides, it's apparently got Robert Knepper playing the big bad, so there's that.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Dispite all the teen angst, does not the CW play more fantasy than SYFY these days? If they want to branch out into scifi, good on em :D

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
I was going through the pilots for CW. There appears to be 1 or 2 that have a sci-fi sniff to them. Unfortunately they are going to throw in a couple more fantasy type shows into the mix.

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
We've already got The Following on Fox. I guess now that zombie stuff is getting oversaturated we are moving on to cults....

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
We've already got The Following on Fox. I guess now that zombie stuff is getting oversaturated we are moving on to cults....

What are you waiting for then? Sounds like the time is right to start your own cult. The early bird gets the tainted Kool-Aid and all that good stuff. Chop chop!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
What are you waiting for then? Sounds like the time is right to start your own cult. The early bird gets the tainted Kool-Aid and all that good stuff. Chop chop!

I'm working on one, but internet cults are harder to get started up than one would think. :P

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
There's still one week left until the show premieres on tv, but the pilot episode, entitled "You Are Next, has been made available on Hulu anyway. (probably to create buzz or something...)
http://www.hulu.com/watch/454962

I haven't had the time to watch it yet myself, but I let you know my thoughts after having seen it.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
So having seen the first episode, I can say that while I didn't really hate it, I wasn't exactly completely drawn into the story either.

The good thing is that while the show is on The CW, it has surprisingly little emo stuff and there was not one instance of annoying relationships or shipping during the whole pilot, which is probably some kind of record for the network. The main character also seems good enough, or at least he doesn't annoy me in any way, and hopefully his character will get more fleshed out further down the road. But so far I'm not really liking the female co-star, since straight out she just seems like the typical CW early 20s "hot girl" who is somehow superbrilliant at absolutely anything for no apparent reason. And there better not be any cheesy predictable romance developing between those two after just an episode or three, because that would simply be too clichéd.

But I'm giving O'Bannon the benefit of the doubt for now due to his work on Farscape, so I'll be sticking around for at least another few episodes, just to see if I'll get hooked.