CPT AMERICA-THE WINTER SOLDIER first trailer

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Watch the first film before making a decision. It's on Netflix. It really is a character origin story and is more about him becoming Captain America and the rise of Hydra and the war against Hydra. It feels a bit like a cross between Raiders of the Lost Ark and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

I have the first film already in my Marvel collection. :) I watched it one time.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Cool.

It's not the greatest movie ever made but is a fun film.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
As comic book super hero movies go Capt. America isn't horrible. They seemed to do a pretty good job of showing his development and took their time doing it instead of having everything happen in a nanosecond. I think it's interesting in the Avengers where Cap struts around with his 1940's sense of justice in a 2012 world. There's something about his demeanor that is interesting in that he's stuck in that time in his head. I kinda like having that contrast to the cynical outlook of say Tony Stark.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
As comic book super hero movies go Capt. America isn't horrible. They seemed to do a pretty good job of showing his development and took their time doing it instead of having everything happen in a nanosecond. I think it's interesting in the Avengers where Cap struts around with his 1940's sense of justice in a 2012 world. There's something about his demeanor that is interesting in that he's stuck in that time in his head. I kinda like having that contrast to the cynical outlook of say Tony Stark.

My absolute favorite exchange in that movie:

Steve Rogers: Big man in a suit of armor. Take that off, what are you?

Tony Stark: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist.

Steve Rogers: I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you.

Tony Stark: I think I would just cut the wire.

Steve Rogers: Always a way out... You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero.

Tony Stark: A hero? Like you? You're a lab rat, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The real irony of that exchange was at the end of Avengers Stark DOES make the sacrifice play and nearly gets killed. I also agree with Shaved that having the Captain's sensibilities in our time added a nice "fish out of water" element to the story.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member