CONFIRMED: V has risen 6% in week to week ratings.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I was glad to find this:

http://www.rbr.com/tv-cable/tv-cabl...rs-4-of-the-top-20-ahows-in-adults-18-49.html
Building on its Lead-in, ABC's "V" is Up Week to Week by 6% in Adults 18-49.

This is great news because there was concern that this show might not get a second season. There has been no announcement. What many dont realize is that after the close of this 10 episode run, that is actually completing Season One, not Season Two. The 22 episodes represent a single season of V and a second season will be labeled as Season 3 when it is actually the balance of Season One.

With the show steadily uptrending, there is a good chance that ABC may renew it. And if that falls through, there are already two Syfy affiliates who are ALREADY airing the new V. I could envision Syfy buying V for broadcast. For the less demanding (ratings-wise) cable network, V's current ratings numbers would be considered a smash hit.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
I was glad to find this:

http://www.rbr.com/tv-cable/tv-cabl...rs-4-of-the-top-20-ahows-in-adults-18-49.html

This is great news because there was concern that this show might not get a second season. There has been no announcement. What many dont realize is that after the close of this 10 episode run, that is actually completing Season One, not Season Two. The 22 episodes represent a single season of V and a second season will be labeled as Season 3 when it is actually the balance of Season One.

With the show steadily uptrending, there is a good chance that ABC may renew it. And if that falls through, there are already two Syfy affiliates who are ALREADY airing the new V. I could envision Syfy buying V for broadcast. For the less demanding (ratings-wise) cable network, V's current ratings numbers would be considered a smash hit.

Nah, Syfy wouldn't do that, all they have is stupid ghost shows and that insipid "wrassling" stuff, Syfy doesn't care about Scifi at all........ :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
True! But they sure do care about ratings!

Nah, Syfy wouldn't do that, all they have is stupid ghost shows and that insipid "wrassling" stuff, Syfy doesn't care about Scifi at all........ :P

LOL, but they do care about ratings....just ask Brad Wright. :rotflmao:

According to TVbythenumbers, V's current ratings are:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...ife-sees-lows-v-steady-fox-sitcoms-rise/83433

18-49 Rating/Sh: 1.9/5 Total viewers 5.14 million.

At those numbers and trending upwards, Syfy could land a goldmine like Showtime did with Stargate SG-1 way back when....

"Wrassling" notwithstanding!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
It's avoiding tanking and overall the numbers have been stable at 1.7-9ish, but that's still a low number for ABC. I'd still be interested to see how much the show costs since Syfy airing re-runs compared with ordering a new season are at two ends of the spectrum.

Mr. A

Super Moderator +
It's avoiding tanking and overall the numbers have been stable at 1.7-9ish, but that's still a low number for ABC. I'd still be interested to see how much the show costs since Syfy airing re-runs compared with ordering a new season are at two ends of the spectrum.
Yes, I'd like to see Syfy pick up new seasons of the show to keep it from dying prematurely, since reruns would be nothing more than "syndication"...

zzbeach

GateFans Noob
I Dream In Color

Fringe is also having trouble in the ratings. It's just wishful thinking but having both shows on SyFy during a week night would be a great ratings boost for a cable channel. You add in one of their original shows and you've got a good line up. Imagine V, Fringe and Sanctuary in one night. Don't discount this. V might be too much of a gamble to be out there on it's own, but SyFy could be enticed to make a real major purchase if they could put together a duo like V and Fringe.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
V trending up could be the thing that saves it. ABC ratings are bad overall, and not trending up.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
V trending up could be the thing that saves it. ABC ratings are bad overall, and not trending up.

BINGO. An uptrending show is hopeful, especially when the production cycle for V is so short...they can "nibble renew" the show in 10 episode increments like they have been doing to insure profit and retain the ability to change the scripts as necessary. Its really an awesome show IMO.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
I wouldn't be so optimistic to be honest. It might be upticking a little but it had fallen so far since its launch that it probably won't be enough. It's already well below their expectations for the show.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Proof please.

I wouldn't be so optimistic to be honest. It might be upticking a little but it had fallen so far since its launch that it probably won't be enough. It's already well below their expectations for the show.

Please post proof of: "Their expectations" (show where that is defined).

LOL...It doesnt matter what happened before. It only matters what the trend is, and its up STEADILY in this last 10 episodes, which will most likely get it a renewal...particularly since it is performing better in the "magic demo" of 18-49. Unlike a failed show like SGU which started trending downward STEADILY with no uptrending, V is trending upwards.

Lets make a gentleman's bet!

I am betting for RENEWAL.

Arent you the same guy who thinks SGU was so awesome and you are already stating that you will enjoy all the episodes even though you havent seen them? Bias much? :) If SGU got even HALF the numbers of V it would not have been cancelled and would be considered to be a blockbuster on Syfy. V just needs some minor tweaking and it will be just fine.

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Please post proof of: "Their expectations" (show where that is defined).

LOL...It doesnt matter what happened before. It only matters what the trend is, and its up STEADILY in this last 10 episodes, which will most likely get it a renewal...particularly since it is performing better in the "magic demo" of 18-49. Unlike a failed show like SGU which started trending downward STEADILY with no uptrending, V is trending upwards.

Lets make a gentleman's bet!

I am betting for RENEWAL.

Arent you the same guy who thinks SGU was so awesome and you are already stating that you will enjoy all the episodes even though you havent seen them? Bias much? :) If SGU got even HALF the numbers of V it would not have been cancelled and would be considered to be a blockbuster on Syfy. V just needs some minor tweaking and it will be just fine.

Really? Go read the quote and you'll see it was clearly a tongue in cheek comment. As for bias - well I really don't understand what your implying. I like SGU, yes (I don't think it's "awesome") and find V a bit meh. That doesn't change my opinions on the ratings; I find Hawaii Five-0 a bit "meh" too but I still think it's going to get renewed.

Secondly while the show premiered not 20 episodes ago and it's already down to a 1.8 (which it appears to be stabilizing at) in the 18-49 ratings. ABC put a lot into launching the show and I'd be extremely surprised if they expected, or could even tolerate, below average numbers like that. While the show technically has risen 6% in the week to week ratings, that's only because it dropped from its already weak 2.1 Season 2 premier rating. It's been in cancellation territory all season and ABC would get far better ratings launching a new show than keeping this on.

It's also my opinion that the show will be too expensive for Syfy to pick up but there's no way to gain information on that one way or another.

But yeh, I'm betting cancellation because that's what the numbers imply.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Really? Go read the quote and you'll see it was clearly a tongue in cheek comment.

Actually, it wasn't clear that you were being tongue in cheek with that comment, hence the response from myself and OM1 in regards to it. You only added that you were joking after the fact when we questioned you about it.

As for the "V" ratings, well, we'll see eventually who is right on this score, eh. ;) And regarding "V" being a show that SyFy could pick up, that subject has been chewed on ad nauseum. You don't present a convincing case against it happening other than to say it's too expensive for SyFy, but then you claim not to have knowledge of that either. :icon_e_confused: Just compare the "V" type of production to that of other shows on SyFy and you'll not see any difference. Lot's of green screen! It's entirely possible that "V" could make it to SyFy for a healthy run.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually ABC did not put a lot into it. Also they played with Season 1 breaking it into 2 pieces which had so much time between them that any launch momentum got lost.

And as to cancellation the numbers don't imply anything. The real question ABC will be asking is how it performed versus other shows and versus cost to produce. V is not that expensive so it may get a renewal. And it would be prime for SyFy to pickup in either case because it is not super expensive (no big name cast members, lots of blue screen cut costs down).

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Such is the nature of the internet. It's always hard to see if the person you're talking with is being tounge in cheek/sarcastic when all you see is a block of text.

Emoticons generally help convey emotion/intent, but this time it didn't do much. He just used the one that sticks its tongue out. How does one take that? For all I know he was taunting with that emoticon, not conveying that he was joking. Granted, it's a minor point, but one worth clarifying.

YoshiKart64
Well at least someone's gonna enjoy the episode.:P

YoshiKart64

Well Known GateFan
Actually, it wasn't clear that you were being tongue in cheek with that comment, hence the response from myself and OM1 in regards to it. You only added that you were joking after the fact when we questioned you about it.

As for the "V" ratings, well, we'll see eventually who is right on this score, eh. ;) And regarding "V" being a show that SyFy could pick up, that subject has been chewed on ad nauseum. You don't present a convincing case against it happening other than to say it's too expensive for SyFy, but then you claim not to have knowledge of that either. :icon_e_confused: Just compare the "V" type of production to that of other shows on SyFy and you'll not see any difference. Lot's of green screen! It's entirely possible that "V" could make it to SyFy for a healthy run.

Neither do you have any convincing case for it not being too expensive. While greenscreen does cut down costs I wouldn't be surprised to see the actors paid more than you think and the general production having too big a budget. For reference a show like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was fairly cheap for a network show, but the producer was quoted as saying it was too expensive for cable. If network-cable was an obvious an option as you claim, shows like Chuck would represent a much safer bet for Syfy to pick up.

Emoticons generally help convey emotion/intent, but this time it didn't do much. He just used the one that sticks its tongue out. How does one take that? For all I know he was taunting with that emoticon, not conveying that he was joking. Granted, it's a minor point, but one worth clarifying.

It's really not a major issue but I think expecting to enjoy an episode of a show you like (based on available plot details etc) isn't too far fetched. If I want to review it I can separate a critical analysis from my reaction as a fan.

Still the :p emoticon did clearly show my intention.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Neither do you have any convincing case for it not being too expensive. While greenscreen does cut down costs I wouldn't be surprised to see the actors paid more than you think and the general production having too big a budget. For reference a show like Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was fairly cheap for a network show, but the producer was quoted as saying it was too expensive for cable. If network-cable was an obvious an option as you claim, shows like Chuck would represent a much safer bet for Syfy to pick up.

It's really not a major issue but I think expecting to enjoy an episode of a show you like (based on available plot details etc) isn't too far fetched. If I want to review it I can separate a critical analysis from my reaction as a fan.

Still the :p emoticon did clearly show my intention.

Um, no, it did not, hence the questioning of your motives. Had it clearly shown your intention it wouldn't have been questioned.

Now, as for the expense of "V" and all that, well, I certainly don't have hard data but rather am simply basing it on how it is produced compared to other shows. "V" uses a lot of green screen (blue screen) which is similar to shows like "Sanctuary" which is a SyFy show. It's certainly not cheap to use that technology but it is cheaper than building sets and doing location shots...

And this is where we talk about your apples/oranges "Terminator" comparison. I didn't see all of that show but from what I recall it was heavy on sets and live action location shots. I don't know how much green screen they used but a cursory glance shows it wasn't as much as "V" by any means. Live action scenes (and "Sarah Conner" was loaded with them) are expensive to produce -- very expensive to produce. So yes, T-SCC couldn't have been produced the same way for a cable channel, but "V", buy the nature of how it is produced (which is very similar to current sci-fi cable shows) would clearly be able to transition to SyFy. And this obvious fact of reality I have just pointed out is clearly not tongue-in-cheek. :D

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Um, no, it did not, hence the questioning of your motives. Had it clearly shown your intention it wouldn't have been questioned.

I actually think it's pretty obvious that something is tounge in cheek when you use the (:P) emoticon. But I guess it's different from person to person...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I actually think it's pretty obvious that something is tounge in cheek when you use the (:P) emoticon. But I guess it's different from person to person...

Um, the tongue is "sticking out" and isn't "in cheek". That can be taken quite easily as a taunt and not as an admission of jocularity. Yoshi likes SGU. He wants to write a review for an episode. He used a tongue-sticking-out emoticon. It's quite easy to infer that he had a bias and was intending to write a positive review of the show and was flaunting that intent by using that particular emoticon. He has since clarified his intentions, but obviously since he needed to clarify them then he wasn't clear to begin with.

But let's not get bogged down in such a trivial argument. I'm more interested in the meat of this topic, and that is the survival chances of "V" and can it transition to SyFy if need be.