Coming this month - Dredd

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Trailer for the new "Dredd" film. Karl Urban gets to be Judge Dredd this time, and the early word (out of Comic Con I gather) was very positive, praising Urban for his performance in particular.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
crybaby.png

I already had that yesterday! I want something new!!

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well it has a completely different story and cast than the Stallone film (and thankfully so as that film was almost comically bad). Giving Dredd a comic sidekick wrecked any attempts at setting proper tone and Stallone overacted the part massively.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well it has a completely different story and cast than the Stallone film (and thankfully so as that film was almost comically bad). Giving Dredd a comic sidekick wrecked any attempts at setting proper tone and Stallone overacted the part massively.

"I am da lowh" :icon_clap:. But Judge Dredd? Really?

I am so tired of all these remakes and re-imaginings. Where is the new stuff?

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Well to be fair it isn't remake of the Stallone film (thankfully!), just a new adaption of the comics with a different plot. And it's not one those completely pointless remakes like Nightmare on Elm Street, since the Stallone film was just awful and this may be a big improvement. Sort like how Batman Begins was a breath of fresh air follwing the Schumacher films.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Exactly. This is not a remake or reimagining. It is going back to the source (the British comic book) and starting over again. And given how bad the Stallone film was this is a good thing.

We'll see how it comes out, but like I said the word out of ComicCon was very favorable.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Still though, with this and Raid: Redemption so close to each other...hmmmm. Anyone else see that movie? That was freakin intense.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Plus it has Karl Urban as Dredd. I respect him as an actor a good deal because he is one of those rare ones who never "mail in" their performance no matter the film - he always imbues his characters with depth.

EvilSpaceAlien

Sinister Swede
Still though, with this and Raid: Redemption so close to each other...hmmmm. Anyone else see that movie? That was freakin intense.

Though in all fairness, Dredd had started shooting several months before Raid: Redemption even began pre-production, so you couldn't exactly call it a rip off. And doubt that a minor Indonesian film like Raid will a significant (if any) impact on Dredd's box office.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It should be interesting to see how the Dredd film does. It cost half the amount to make that the Stallone one did (which cost 90 million in 1995). So likely it is less flashy. On the other hand the cast sounds stronger and the writer is Alex Garland (28 Days Later and Sunshine).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Today was release day for Dredd and from what I am reading this sounds pretty good. Far closer in tone to the source than the horrific Stallone vehicle, better writing (Alex Garland so no surprise) and far better acted (Karl Urban has gotten praise in a lot of places for the portrayal of Dredd).

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Much better.

[video=youtube_share;ab-f1IYPC8Q]-f1IYPC8Q

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Good way to show just how bad the Stallone film was.